Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 5:21am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main thing to remember, IMHO, is to have fun with it.

Good luck man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 5:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Where you have a choice in partners, always pick the most senior guy you can. That's the one you will learn from. So many beginners really want to "win" at randori. But frankly you don't learn much muscling around with another white belt. Try to clock time in with sensei if you can.
    Kind of disagree, you need practise with people at your level as well to see openings that arise naturally rather than ones you're being given. And people below your level as well, to do things that you're brand new to.

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 9:24am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Kind of disagree, you need practise with people at your level as well to see openings that arise naturally rather than ones you're being given. And people below your level as well, to do things that you're brand new to.
    That practice is going to happen anyways because there are more beginners than sensei. But so many beginners actively avoid practice with anyone senior, afraid of losing or getting hurt or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 9:26am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me, as an experienced martial artists but judo/jujitsu beginner, I've found a combination of the experience levels works great. I know this sounds obvious, but I actually specifically pick equal numbers of experienced, peer, and teacher skill level partners when we randori at the end of class. My peer training is my self-evaluation time, my senpai give me a good beating, and the sensei will "teach-in-role," so to speak.

Being a little physically always helps prevent injury. You will probably find the more you train in judo, the more motivated you will be to do physical exercise that helps your judo play (plyos, cardio, grip strength, flexibility, etc).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 10:00am

Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ukemi. get familiar with the ground. don't ever rush this phase of your learning. if you're unfamiliar with how to fall with a certain technique, say so.

if by now you still haven't started yet, try rolling your back on a carpeted/padded floor. familiarize yourself with the sensation of your back contacting the floor.

minimizing injuries while learning the basics is paramount in the beginner(well, at least in my experience).

it also provides motivation for cleaning up your place, especially your floor, more often!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 10:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still havent started yet, the earliest I could give it a shot would be this Wednesday. Im very excited to start but every once in a while I come across posts talking about how some noob blew some guys knee out. From what I gather anything could happen it just depends on the group of people. This club looks really chill, hopefully.

If any of you could check out the website, let me know what you think. Just google RONIN JUDO TORONTO. It willl be the first link. Someone posted a review of it on this site about two years ago.

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 11:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Website is crap, no real info about the instructor. Found a couple of recommends and nothing negative on judoforum and the club is definitely mainstream judo so you are probably OK. Most of the recommends I found on judoforum were for JCCC. Lots for Minoru but only if you are already yudansha, not a beginners club.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 3:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Qustion,

I read that after a certain belt, cant remember which, the only way to advance is through competition. I never planned on competing but I do like the idea of working my way up the belts, over the years. Is this true. Im From Toronto, Canada, not sure if it is different from area to area.

Ultimately learning is the real goal, id just be a bit disappointed.

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 4:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No need to compete in Canada.

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 4:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judochop82 View Post
    Ultimately learning is the real goal, id just be a bit disappointed.
    Competing is learning.

Learning to face fear and overcome it.

Learning to conquer the biggest opponent, yourself.

As Theodore Roosevelt said

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast