228885 Bullies, 4877 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 47
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Permalost is online now
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,590

    Posted On:
    8/30/2012 6:19pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much would you say your Bujinkan influences your MMA class?
  2. simonifrius is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SFV
    Posts
    365

    Posted On:
    8/30/2012 7:31pm


     Style: Parkour and Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My opinion of the Booj, as an outsider, is that it reminds me of a pro wrestler who insists everything he does is for real, and he could beat anyone in the world with it.

    Is this you?
    http://itsmykarate.com/
    Last edited by simonifrius; 8/30/2012 7:59pm at . Reason: Googled ya.
  3. JohnKenner is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    325

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 2:37am


     Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    The problem with teaching "MMA"

    just 2 side notes. my mma programe is onloy a small part of what we do here, as i concentrate on are jjj and karate.
    [...]
    but in reality, the mma side of things in very small in this centre
    According to the schedule on your website, it looks like 50% of your adult program is "MMA" and the rest is BJJ, which you bring in an instructor for (which I highly approve of).

    i do teach 2 mma classes a week. these include boxing, kick boxing, jjj, karate, weapons, and we also cover take downs, throws, some grappling ( but i get my students to train in the bjj classes when we need to really work on them ), i have trained students who have competed in both karate, grappling and mma tournaments. this centre has a few students training for mma as well as karate tournaments at the moment.
    So I may see the issue here. I wonder if you equate "MMA" to the mixture of martial arts you chose to create a curriculum?

    For me, if someone says they teach MMA/Boxing/Kickboxing, I equate that to preparing someone to compete under that rule set.

    Questions I would ask you, if I was considering your gym to train me for a fight:
    (1) "What was your fight record like?"
    (2) "How many fights have you been a cornerman for?"
    (3) "How many fighters have you trained that have competed in MMA/Boxing/Kickboxing, and how have they done?" (Given how new your school is, I would place a higher precedence on the two prior questions)

    If I was looking at your BJJ program I would ask the same questions, more or less:
    (1) "What's your instructor's lineage?"
    (2) "Can you give me some competition highlights?" (I don't need to know every tournament they've one, but some of the big ones are nice)
    (3) "How many students compete, and how have they done?" (Given how new your school is, I would place a higher precedence on the two prior questions)

    I hope this sheds some light on why people are employing the Socratic method with you right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by family karate View Post
    if mike tyson had a son and taught him boxing, would you say to his son, where's your black belt or equivalent..
    Hopefully, based on the above questions, you might see why we wouldn't question Mike Tyson, boxing trainer.

    Although, Mike Tyson, MMA trainer would still get some raised eyebrows.
    Last edited by JohnKenner; 8/31/2012 2:41am at .
  4. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,019

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 3:20am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by family karate View Post
    why do people care what ranks i hold, or anyone's rank for that matter. if mike tyson had a son and taught him boxing, would you say to his son, where's your black belt or equivalent..
    I'd ask if he ever competed which is the equivalent of asking for his Black Belt.
  5. simonifrius is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SFV
    Posts
    365

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 9:25am


     Style: Parkour and Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    So I may see the issue here. I wonder if you equate "MMA" to the mixture of martial arts you chose to create a curriculum?

    For me, if someone says they teach MMA/Boxing/Kickboxing, I equate that to preparing someone to compete under that rule set.

    Questions I would ask you, if I was considering your gym to train me for a fight:
    (1) "What was your fight record like?"
    (2) "How many fights have you been a cornerman for?"
    (3) "How many fighters have you trained that have competed in MMA/Boxing/Kickboxing, and how have they done?" (Given how new your school is, I would place a higher precedence on the two prior questions)

    If I was looking at your BJJ program I would ask the same questions, more or less:
    (1) "What's your instructor's lineage?"
    (2) "Can you give me some competition highlights?" (I don't need to know every tournament they've one, but some of the big ones are nice)
    (3) "How many students compete, and how have they done?" (Given how new your school is, I would place a higher precedence on the two prior questions)

    I hope this sheds some light on why people are employing the Socratic method with you right now.


    Hopefully, based on the above questions, you might see why we wouldn't question Mike Tyson, boxing trainer.

    Although, Mike Tyson, MMA trainer would still get some raised eyebrows.
    Agreed. MMA is a loaded term now. It doesn't mean just "mixing multiple fighting styles" anymore. It means the sport of mixed martial arts. The way you use the term is deceptive at worst, confusing at best. Your students will say they do mixed martial arts and get attention they probably don't want.
    Last edited by simonifrius; 8/31/2012 9:31am at .
  6. DerAuslander is offline
    DerAuslander's Avatar

    Valiant Monk of Booze & War

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,451

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 10:09am

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by simonifrius View Post
    Agreed. MMA is a loaded term now. It doesn't mean just "mixing multiple fighting styles" anymore. It means the sport of mixed martial arts. The way you use the term is deceptive at worst, confusing at best. Your students will say they do mixed martial arts and get attention they probably don't want.
    MMA has never meant just mixing multiple fighting styles.
  7. JesusChrist is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    23

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 10:11am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen a similar problem with many schools jumping on the bandwagon by doing something like adding a little bjj to their karate and calling it MMA.

    Maybe a more proper term would be "integrated fighting system."
  8. Styygens is offline
    Styygens's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,171

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 1:02pm


     Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
    I've seen a similar problem with many schools jumping on the bandwagon by doing something like adding a little bjj to their karate and calling it MMA.

    Maybe a more proper term would be "integrated fighting system."
    Maybe... But usually isn't it just "Crappling"?
  9. simonifrius is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SFV
    Posts
    365

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 2:15pm


     Style: Parkour and Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    MMA has never meant just mixing multiple fighting styles.
    No. But he's not talking about the sport called "Mixed Martial Arts". He's talking about mixing multiple fighting styles and calling it MMA. Although technically true, it's still misleading.
  10. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,019

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 2:50pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by simonifrius View Post
    No. But he's not talking about the sport called "Mixed Martial Arts". He's talking about mixing multiple fighting styles and calling it MMA. Although technically true, it's still misleading.
    Did you really take the time to explain this do Bodh108? LOL. No, it isn't technically true. It is called selective memory or bullshit arguing. For it to be "technically" ACCEPTED it has to be common. It only became commonplace AFTER MMA became a common name. Then every TMAer on the planet claimed it was always MMA.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.