Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much would you say your Bujinkan influences your MMA class?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 7:31pm

Style: Parkour and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My opinion of the Booj, as an outsider, is that it reminds me of a pro wrestler who insists everything he does is for real, and he could beat anyone in the world with it.

Is this you?
    http://itsmykarate.com/
    Last edited by simonifrius; 8/30/2012 7:59pm at . Reason: Googled ya.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 2:37am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The problem with teaching "MMA"

just 2 side notes. my mma programe is onloy a small part of what we do here, as i concentrate on are jjj and karate.
    [...]
    but in reality, the mma side of things in very small in this centre
    According to the schedule on your website, it looks like 50% of your adult program is "MMA" and the rest is BJJ, which you bring in an instructor for (which I highly approve of).

i do teach 2 mma classes a week. these include boxing, kick boxing, jjj, karate, weapons, and we also cover take downs, throws, some grappling ( but i get my students to train in the bjj classes when we need to really work on them ), i have trained students who have competed in both karate, grappling and mma tournaments. this centre has a few students training for mma as well as karate tournaments at the moment.
    So I may see the issue here. I wonder if you equate "MMA" to the mixture of martial arts you chose to create a curriculum?

For me, if someone says they teach MMA/Boxing/Kickboxing, I equate that to preparing someone to compete under that rule set.

Questions I would ask you, if I was considering your gym to train me for a fight:
    (1) "What was your fight record like?"
    (2) "How many fights have you been a cornerman for?"
    (3) "How many fighters have you trained that have competed in MMA/Boxing/Kickboxing, and how have they done?" (Given how new your school is, I would place a higher precedence on the two prior questions)

If I was looking at your BJJ program I would ask the same questions, more or less:
    (1) "What's your instructor's lineage?"
    (2) "Can you give me some competition highlights?" (I don't need to know every tournament they've one, but some of the big ones are nice)
    (3) "How many students compete, and how have they done?" (Given how new your school is, I would place a higher precedence on the two prior questions)

I hope this sheds some light on why people are employing the Socratic method with you right now.

Quote Originally Posted by family karate View Post
    if mike tyson had a son and taught him boxing, would you say to his son, where's your black belt or equivalent..
    Hopefully, based on the above questions, you might see why we wouldn't question Mike Tyson, boxing trainer.

Although, Mike Tyson, MMA trainer would still get some raised eyebrows.
    Last edited by JohnKenner; 8/31/2012 2:41am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 3:20am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by family karate View Post
    why do people care what ranks i hold, or anyone's rank for that matter. if mike tyson had a son and taught him boxing, would you say to his son, where's your black belt or equivalent..
    I'd ask if he ever competed which is the equivalent of asking for his Black Belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 9:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    So I may see the issue here. I wonder if you equate "MMA" to the mixture of martial arts you chose to create a curriculum?

For me, if someone says they teach MMA/Boxing/Kickboxing, I equate that to preparing someone to compete under that rule set.

Questions I would ask you, if I was considering your gym to train me for a fight:
    (1) "What was your fight record like?"
    (2) "How many fights have you been a cornerman for?"
    (3) "How many fighters have you trained that have competed in MMA/Boxing/Kickboxing, and how have they done?" (Given how new your school is, I would place a higher precedence on the two prior questions)

If I was looking at your BJJ program I would ask the same questions, more or less:
    (1) "What's your instructor's lineage?"
    (2) "Can you give me some competition highlights?" (I don't need to know every tournament they've one, but some of the big ones are nice)
    (3) "How many students compete, and how have they done?" (Given how new your school is, I would place a higher precedence on the two prior questions)

I hope this sheds some light on why people are employing the Socratic method with you right now.

Hopefully, based on the above questions, you might see why we wouldn't question Mike Tyson, boxing trainer.

Although, Mike Tyson, MMA trainer would still get some raised eyebrows.
    Agreed. MMA is a loaded term now. It doesn't mean just "mixing multiple fighting styles" anymore. It means the sport of mixed martial arts. The way you use the term is deceptive at worst, confusing at best. Your students will say they do mixed martial arts and get attention they probably don't want.
    Last edited by simonifrius; 8/31/2012 9:31am at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 10:09am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by simonifrius View Post
    Agreed. MMA is a loaded term now. It doesn't mean just "mixing multiple fighting styles" anymore. It means the sport of mixed martial arts. The way you use the term is deceptive at worst, confusing at best. Your students will say they do mixed martial arts and get attention they probably don't want.
    MMA has never meant just mixing multiple fighting styles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 10:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen a similar problem with many schools jumping on the bandwagon by doing something like adding a little bjj to their karate and calling it MMA.

Maybe a more proper term would be "integrated fighting system."

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 1:02pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
    I've seen a similar problem with many schools jumping on the bandwagon by doing something like adding a little bjj to their karate and calling it MMA.

Maybe a more proper term would be "integrated fighting system."
    Maybe... But usually isn't it just "Crappling"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 2:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    MMA has never meant just mixing multiple fighting styles.
    No. But he's not talking about the sport called "Mixed Martial Arts". He's talking about mixing multiple fighting styles and calling it MMA. Although technically true, it's still misleading.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 2:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by simonifrius View Post
    No. But he's not talking about the sport called "Mixed Martial Arts". He's talking about mixing multiple fighting styles and calling it MMA. Although technically true, it's still misleading.
    Did you really take the time to explain this do Bodh108? LOL. No, it isn't technically true. It is called selective memory or bullshit arguing. For it to be "technically" ACCEPTED it has to be common. It only became commonplace AFTER MMA became a common name. Then every TMAer on the planet claimed it was always MMA.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast