Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 5:52am

Style: bujinkan & shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why do people care what ranks i hold, or anyone's rank for that matter. if mike tyson had a son and taught him boxing, would you say to his son, where's your black belt or equivalent.. i would be looking at if he is like his dad, can he punch and move, is he good, and can he teach well. no where have i said i teach bjj?? shane poppleton for fight club teaches it here. i teach (japanese) ju jutsu, as well as karate. in this classes there is some throws in it ( both from jjj and judo). i have trained in judo with a very high ranking sensei here in brisbane and i have competed, but im not a black belt in judo, so i do not teach a judo class. if i want to start a judo class, i will get some one in for that. i do teach 2 mma classes a week. these include boxing, kick boxing, jjj, karate, weapons, and we also cover take downs, throws, some grappling ( but i get my students to train in the bjj classes when we need to really work on them ), and now we have started to work on the fitness and conditioning side of things. and yes i have a cert 4 in fitness. i have trained students who have competed in both karate, grappling and mma tournaments. this centre has a few students training for mma as well as karate tournaments at the moment.

just 2 side notes. my mma programe is onloy a small part of what we do here, as i concentrate on are jjj and karate.

2nd, we have one student who trains here, and also our weights gym, and i sent him to train at another club that i know, because he could get that part of his training from them, better than i could provide. i only teach what i know, or good at, the rest i dont touch it..

if some one comes to me to learn kung fu, do i say sure right this way, no way, i say im sorry i dont know it or enough to teach it, but try this person who has 30 plus years of kung fu..

i thought i alredy posted about my tournaments, but i might be getting confussed with a few different posts her. as soon as im allowed to post, i will, i will.... also i have looked into finding an official mma governing body here in brisbane or australia, and have been referred to the south australian boxing association mostly, as well kick boxing org's and the like. i have been told recently that an mma org is opening up here on brisbane, and i know some people in it, so ill contact them. but in reality, the mma side of things in very small in this centre, we are already associated with several governing bodies that we need to be with. sorry for the long reply.. thanks
    Last edited by family karate; 8/30/2012 6:00am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 6:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry i forgot, i was really more interested in my post about bujinkan... but i think i opened a can of worms lol,, maybe our blue tongue will eat them,..

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 6:28am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by family karate View Post
    why do people care what ranks i hold, or anyone's rank for that matter.
    because judo and BJJ have ranks that are an indication of skill. for the most part one does not get rank in these arts for just showing up, one has to actually get better at the art to get rank. almost all other arts (especially the booj) have rampant selling of rank to those with no skill.

as to the "mike tyson's son" question, he would be a boxer. there are no ranks in boxing other than a fight record, so we would care about the fight record.

for instance, you said that you did both boxing and kickboxing, do you have a fight record, and are the results listed online anywhere?

BTW you are not being picked on, everyone goes through this here: "i used to box" "ok, what was your record, can we look it up?" if you make a claim you *will* be asked to back it up.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 9:39am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry i forgot, i was really more interested in my post about bujinkan...
    Your post is long and confusing, so people probably skipped over the single question at the end. ALso, there is a search funtion for the hundreds of threads that answer this question:
    "so what do you think about people who train in Bujinkan, as well as other ( traditional ) martial art styles
    Depends on how they train and represent what they do.

BTW you are not being picked on, everyone goes through this here: "i used to box" "ok, what was your record, can we look it up?" if you make a claim you *will* be asked to back it up.
    I am going to disagree. It is all about context. Everyone, who posts a very long list of qualifications, goes through this as well. "I used to box," in the proper context will never be questioned.

Saying you teach MMA and you are a white or blue belt in BJJ, with a Karate and booj background will.

I personally don't want to get into a debate with someone, who has already shown they are set in their ways and ready to argue old excuses.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/30/2012 9:43am at .

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 10:57am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Think of it this way. Bujinkan instructors that are "cross training" are training in a combat system as well as LaRPing for the fun. No issue with that. Just remember Bujinkan is playing Ninja like the SCA plays as Knights. You can train in something like Judo and play Ninja.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 5:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't think i can post here as of yet. but there is on line fights/ tournaments from last year and the like, also i think there is a few videos on you tube..

also who said i was set in my ways... that's a bit harsh considering i'm still training in different styles, and at this stage i really don't care about rank any more, i'm in it for the training, to try and be the best i can, as a student and a teacher, and make sure my students can defend themselves if they ever need it. also for the record here, i have trained in 2 styles of karate got my black and 1st dan, then trained in other styles, before i ever went to the bujinkan. even then i still cross trained, and was sort of shut out because of it.

lastly, i'm still training and competing, even though my body is not as fast or as flexible as it used to be.. i have about 4 to 6 more tournaments this year, planning on quite a few next year, and preparing for the masters games when i turn 40 soon. i think after then i will still compete some, but only what my body will allow.

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 6:01pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't think i can post here as of yet. but there is on line fights/ tournaments from last year and the like, also i think there is a few videos on you tube..
    Matt, e-mail me the links and I'll post them here.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 6:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also i understand the ranking system of the booj... i been there and seen it.. i myself was the opposite, i went from 1st kyu, back to green belt in another school, went through to brown again, and stayed on brown there for 10 years.. it was until a student of mine got his 2 nd dan and i was still brown 1st kyu, that my friends and teachers pushed my to get my rankings.

in saying that, i myself, do not agree on 18 months or two years black belts. even in our karate style its about 7 years approx, and between 7 to 10 years for 1st dan in our ju justu and it would be the same for my booj students., also i do not believe in junior black belts. but that's a different post all together.

lastly, my last rank was in 2007, and i'm just getting ready for my next rank testing soon, so i do not believe in a black belt each year either. but this is just my own opinion...

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 6:10pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -----nevermind-------
    No, not harsh.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/30/2012 6:44pm at .

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 6:11pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't care about your rank in a martial art unless you claim a particular rank, or you are teaching that particular martial art. If you aren't doing either of those, then I couldn't really care less.

However, if you are teaching "MMA" and using your Bujinkan qualifications plus your ju jutsu plus your judo plus your BJJ, because you think that is "Mixing Martial Arts", then that is a bit of a problem.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast