Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 9:56pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mitigating Adrenaline Dump Effects

I've been thinking really deeply recently about handling adrenaline dump, because I am preparing for a BJJ comp and will fight amateur Thai early next year. It is one of those things that is often quoted as being the reason a fighter fails, that they can't handle the adrenaline dump.

It sounds stupid, but I have a lot of faith in my training, I train 6 days a week with top class coaches and spar with people much better than me so I'm fairly confident, so much so that the only thing I am really concerned about is the AD on the day.

Now, I'm aware that meditation can assist in calming the adrenal gland's response so that it only releases a small amount compared to a massive amount, but I was wondering if there was maybe a way to replicate, simulate or stimulate an AD in training. You know, get the feeling long before the big night and train under that feeling so that when it happens, it is already natural. So that the body learns to deal with the hit.

From my rudimentary understanding of life, the universe and everything, there is synthetic adrenaline available by prescription for severe allergic reactions, or in an emergency situation (drug overdose?). Maybe I'm getting all my information from movies and the like, but isn't an Epipen (sp?) an adrenaline shot? Could that be used as a training tool?

So I was wondering if anyone had or knows of anyone who has experimented with synthetic adrenaline in training in order to mitigate the loss of motor skills inherent in an adrenaline dump?
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 7:13am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speed.

Yes, this is a serious answer.

Look up the history of benzidryne.

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 7:25am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate the answer as a serious one. I didn't even think of that particular set of drugs application, considering their effect on the adrenal gland. My problem is that I am a recovering addict and my drug of choice was methamphetamine, so I have to be careful. Thanks for the prompt, bodhi.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 7:58am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you actually thinking of injecting yourself with Adrenalin before class?
    This is a very bad idea, adrenalin is a very potent drug, i would never think of playing with something as potent.
    Better to spar with someone that won't hold back, and do it in front of the coach and some others, this will make both of you anxious, and you will get the same sinking feeling as before a fight. If you sparr hard at classes and you don't suffer from this sinking feeling anymore than you will do just fine. I know that a couple of my sparring partners can make me feel this sinking feeling before we start (though you don't have a lot of time to deal with it and suffer). Don't expect from yourself too much and you won't stress as much. (I'm talking about the MT fights...i don't recall anything close in the few judo matches i had).

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 10:13am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I appreciate the answer as a serious one. I didn't even think of that particular set of drugs application, considering their effect on the adrenal gland. My problem is that I am a recovering addict and my drug of choice was methamphetamine, so I have to be careful. Thanks for the prompt, bodhi.
    No problem. I feel you, bro.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 10:17am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Are you actually thinking of injecting yourself with Adrenalin before class?
    No and his post explains why.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 12:03pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, an epipen should not be considered a training tool. For one, the dose is extreme. It is used in life and death situations. For another, the dose in non adjustable.

The best way to mitigate an adrenaline dump is to reduce the amount of adrenaline, and get yourself accustomed to experiencing adrenaline. The best way to do this is simply through experience. If you're training is often and intensely as you describe, then you're probably already well on your way to handling it. Of course, stepping into the ring is a different thing from training. But if you're training with good coaches and training intensely, then it shouldn't be an experience that's so dramatically different that your brain releases very excessive adrenaline. Also, if you're training with a lot of intensity, you should be experiencing some levels of adrenaline every time you train. This helps your body learn how to handle it on a physiological level.

So my advice is train a lot. If you're worried about too much adrenaline, train harder. Train at a level that forces adrenaline into you. In your free time, spend time thinking about crazy insane fights. In your head, fight guys who are 8 feet tall, 500 lbs Muay Thai masters. Fight 9 guys with knives. Just over the top scenarios. Thinking about these things in detail can also trigger a release of adrenaline. It's not quite the same as the real thing, but once again, it's experience.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 12:49pm

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sparring & rolling with multiple opponents helps, as does weapons sparring with multiple opponents.

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 3:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stick to getting usde to adrenaline dums through training. Do it in any way you can naturally.

Don't use chemicals. Getting high will impair your thinking and weaken your body. You say you've had experience with amphetamines so I'll wager you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 4:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be more cardio than you need to be. have a good corner team. Have fun on the fight.

Have you fought your instructor? Not just sparred him but fully blown out fought him.

do that.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts