Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 7:14am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well as the Jamaican med student told you, the soreness is just a side effect that company inflammation. The inflammation is the healing part (he called it remodeling, there is some anabolic processes for sure) after you worked your muscles. If you worked them over a certain point you will feel sore (a part of the inflammatory process is the release of certain stuffs that makes your pain nerves to become extra sensitive), it is subjective of course as all pain studies. Must you feel sore to improve? probably not, but again from my and others experience..."no pain no gain" .
    Oh and probably reduce the workout you are doing that pains you so much that you limp the next day, maybe split it to two days. Besides, here is an original thought, have you considered Box jumps?! or jump rope with a little weight added? Sometimes for some reason certain exercises just don't agree with us and cause us tremendous amounts of pain and discomfort where as other exercises working on the same fucking muscles don't, think of switching to another exercise that works the calves.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 7:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lindz don't be such a sissy. If it's not sore the next day, you probably could have lifted more.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 1:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Yeah you're saying I have to feel sore to get stronger. That's bullshit. I haven't felt much soreness the day after in months, but my squats keep going up. Why doesn't one of you masochists show me a research article linking soreness and strength gains
    Well, that's because you a bitch, son. For real. You are squatting, you're supposed to be lifting big heavy **** that is fucking with your ability to stand afterwards (if you don't have any plans for later or whatever). If you're going after muscle gains you have to hit that **** hard.

There are several reasons that a ************ can have his squat numbers increase without accompanying muscle strength the most common of which is that the muscle groups used are becoming accustomed to the work out. If you switch up your workout to do some **** that works the same muscles in a different way: bam! DOMS like a ************. Secondly, you may feel that **** and be able to walk it off. Don't motherfucking discount that **** you feel.

As for articles linking DOMS to gains? The ****? You expect me to Google Jedi an article about a vaguely defined entity? ************ you do that ****.

Muscle breaks to rebuild and ****, you have to stress it to rebuild it, pain comes with rebuilding. From this reasoning, if you are going hard and gaining strength, you will feel some soreness.

Stop being a motherfucking ***** and lift some more heavy ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 7:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD Muay Thai Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you everybody much appreciated. I'll try throwing some other workouts in there like you guys said (box jumps, jump rope with weight etc) and thanks I just wanted to make sure it's safe i'll probably lighten it a bit cause I gotta beable to walk in the school hallways now lol. Thanks for all the info also.

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 11:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    Lindz don't be such a sissy. If it's not sore the next day, you probably could have lifted more.

Not if I failed during that session

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 11:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question, you made the claim you provide the proof

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 11:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question, you made the claim you provide the proof
    As I said before, **** that ****.

I gave you the rationale, then I suggested that the existence of such an article for a poorly nailed down entity is not likely. As such, I'm not going to motherfucking look. If you don't want to consider that ****, then be my motherfucking guest son. Just make sure you hit that **** hard and go all the way in. Otherwise your returns may not be as good as anticipated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 2:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah you're saying I have to feel sore to get stronger. That's bullshit. I haven't felt much soreness the day after in months, but my squats keep going up. Why doesn't one of you masochists show me a research article linking soreness and strength gains
    Everyone else needs to shut the **** up and pay attention, because Lindz is 100% correct.
    Are you training to get sore? No. You're training to get strong.
    You can get stronger but not sore from training.
    You can also get sore but not stronger from training.
    You can get both, and you can get neither.
    In the strength and power world, soreness isn't a useful signal for anything but soreness.
    Stay focused on the outcomes that actually matter, namely strength.

On the subject of box jumps, plyometrics, etc....

Plyometric box jump

-Concentric (jumps up, climbs down)
    -Low rep
    -Develops explosive power
    -What matters: Height gained by your center of gravity (you can do the same thing without a box at all)

Plyometric depth jump

-Eccentric then concentric (jumps down, jumps back up - stretch-shortening cycle)
    -Low rep
    -Develops explosive power
    -What matters: how quickly and forcefully you rebound

Conditioning box jump
    (0:10-0:15 - "jump up, step down")

-Concentric (jumps up, steps down)
    -High rep
    -Develops general and special conditioning
    -What matters: Total height gained by your center of gravity (approx. reps * height of box if you stand up at the top) and mean horizontal velocity (total height/time)
    -Doesn't require a box; you can do the same thing with a flight of stairs
    -Don't jump down when you're doing high reps

I'll explain more about that last bit in a separate post. There will be math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 3:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On why jumping down on high-rep box jumps is a bad idea, consider me starting standing straight up (0), then jumping and leaving the ground (1), landing on a 1m box at the peak of my jump with hips and knees bent (2), standing up straight (3), jumping back down and making contact with the ground (4), then decelerating to a full stop, either with knees and hips locked out (5) or with a significant dip (6).

m (mass)
    = 100kg
    g (gravitational acceleration)
    = -9.81 m/s^2
    = -9.81 N/kg

At the start, h0 = 0m and v0 = 0 m/s
    E_p0 = m * g * -h0 = 0 J
    E_k0 = 0.5 * m * v0 ^ 2 = 0 J
    So E_t0 = E_p0 + E_k0 = 0 J

At the peak of my vertical leap (when I am getting my feet on the box), h2 = 0.5m and v2 = 0 m/s
    E_p2 = m * g * -h2 = 490.5 J
    E_k2 = 0.5 * m * v2 ^ 2 = 0 J
    E_t2 = E_p2 + E_k2 = 490.5J

Going back in time to fill in some blanks, at the instant I leave the ground (feet plantar flexed, hips and knees extended), h1 = 0.15m and E_t1 = E_t2 = 490.5 J (conservation of energy)
    E_p1 = m * g * -h1 = 147.15 J
    E_k1 = E_t1 - E_p1 = 343.35 J
    v1 = (2 * E_k1 / m) ^ 0.5 = 2.62 m/s
    f01 (assuming constant for simplicity) = E_t1 / h1 = 3.27 kN (735lbs) - about 3.3x bodyweight

When I am standing straight up on top of the box, h3 = 1.0m and v3 = 0 m/s
    E_p3 = m * g * -h3 = 981 J
    E_k3 = 0.5 * m * v3 ^ 2 = 0 J
    E_t3 = E_p3 + E_k3 = 981 J

When I touch the ground on the way back down (feet plantar flexed, hips and knees extended), h4 = h1 = 0.15m and E_t4 = E_t3 (conservation of energy) = 981 J
    E_p4 = m * g * -h4 = 147.15 J
    E_k4 = E_t4 - E_p4 = 833.85 J
    V4 = (2 * E_k4 / m) ^ 0.5 = 4.08 m/s

If I keep my hips and knees roughly extended, I will reach a full stop at h5 = 0m and v5 = 0 m/s
    E_p5 = 0 J
    E_v5 = 0 J
    E_t5 = 0 J
    E_t45 = E_t5 - E_t4 = -981 J
    h45 = h5 - h4 = -0.15m
    f45 = E_t45 / h45 = 6540 N (1470lbs) - about 6.5x bodyweight

Notice how much more force is being applied to my achilles tendons on landing than on takeoff. But what if I don't land like a stiff-legged idiot? Let's say I dip my center of gravity another six inches below starting position: h6 = -0.15m, v6 = 0 m/s
    E_k6 = 0 J
    E_p6 = m * g * -h6 = -147.15 J
    E_t6 = E_k6 + E_p6 = -147.15 J
    E_t46 = E_t6 - E_t4 = -1128.15 J
    h46 = h6 - h4 = -0.3m
    f46 = E_t46 / h46 = 3.76 kN (845lbs) - about 3.76x bodyweight

Well, that doesn't sound so bad, does it? Sure, except that if you watch the third video I posted where the demo folks are jumping down, they aren't dipping even close to six inches upon landing.

When your landing forces exceed the maximum concentric (takeoff) forces you can generate by multiple body weights, it's time to rethink your approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 12:18pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    Well, that's because you a bitch, son. For real. You are squatting, you're supposed to be lifting big heavy **** that is fucking with your ability to stand afterwards (if you don't have any plans for later or whatever). If you're going after muscle gains you have to hit that **** hard.

There are several reasons that a ************ can have his squat numbers increase without accompanying muscle strength the most common of which is that the muscle groups used are becoming accustomed to the work out. If you switch up your workout to do some **** that works the same muscles in a different way: bam! DOMS like a ************. Secondly, you may feel that **** and be able to walk it off. Don't motherfucking discount that **** you feel.

As for articles linking DOMS to gains? The ****? You expect me to Google Jedi an article about a vaguely defined entity? ************ you do that ****.

Muscle breaks to rebuild and ****, you have to stress it to rebuild it, pain comes with rebuilding. From this reasoning, if you are going hard and gaining strength, you will feel some soreness.

Stop being a motherfucking ***** and lift some more heavy ****.
    First and foremost, the slightest hint of attempting to speak as though one were an adult in this forum is appreciated. I don't give a flying **** if you cuss, but if your posts contain ONLY cuss words and nothing of value, you can expect them to be moved.

Second, Lindz is correct and The Russ is very correct. While DOMS and muscle/strength gain are often correlated, there is no evidence to suggest that this correlation is a necessity. You can gain muscle and strength without experiencing soreness. Conversely, you can also experience soreness without necessarily having stimulated any gains. They are loosely correlated, but their causes are different and based on so many interdependent factors that no relation between the two of statistical significance can be drawn.

For all other quality information in this thread, see The Russ' posts.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast