Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/03/2012 5:31pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    anyone out there have any experience with Uechi Ryu or Ryuie Ryu ? whats your thoughts ?
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 11:16am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    I think you'll find the two Okinawan Shorin Ryu styles you mentioned a lot easier on the body than Shotokan. I trained a Kobayashi style for a while. There's a lot less emphasis on "strong deep stances" - you'll find you spend a lot more time in shizentai and nekoashi dachi than shiko/kiba dachi and the zenkutsu dachi is a bit more sensible. All a lot easier on the hips, in other words.

Obviously the style/amount of sparring will vary according to individual gyms.

I've posted this before, but if you're looking for a Shorin Ryu dojo on LI then I found these people to be very friendly and capable:

http://www.ryukyushorinkan.com/
    Thanks it took awhile but hey I had a minor issue like a divorce to deal with lol , I decided to leave my comfort zone Shotokan where I could have stayed .But i felt I had to make a change my body was starting to say hey jerkie no more deep stances , So I enrolled at the dojo that Thrutch recommended . I happen to know them and they are good quality Karate ka .

I looked around at a few schools but I think this one while definitely going take a period of adjustment switching from the Shotokan /Shito Ryu Karate I was doing to the Shorin Ryu will be beneficial in the long haul. I was at the point I felt like my skills were diminshing to the point I had to do something , sure if I stay in a few years I would have tested for Yondan . Big Deal I was at the point my skills I felt were slipping too much Id be worthy of a green belt rather then a 4th Dan lol . So here we go ,

Thank everyone for their tips I did go round and round with making this switch . Its almost like leaving home and something you are comfortable with to go the unknown . Im sure with practice and persistence Ill start to get the hang of it eventually .

Thanks again Friends

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 12:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's funny. That was one of the karate schools I was looking at recently. I am tired of TKD but I still want to do a striking art with a more traditional focus. I might see ya there one day Fox.

Of yeah, welcome back. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 6:49pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool I think you will enjoy it , Im going to be like a white belt and to tell you the truth Im kinda stoked . hopefully cya there !!!!

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 9:27pm

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like the op already found what he was looking for. But if you're gonna switch schools why not try another art? FMA might offer what you're looking for but it can be hard to find. In groups I've trained with many of the guys have other MA backgrounds and they are usually respected for it. Not to mention your karate most likely gave you a solid empty hand background, try out some weapons you'll find the training much more natural to your body.

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 7:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well update , I made the jump and I think I have to unlearn just as much as I need to learn. Its will definitel;y take a period of adjustment but all in all I think at least in the very early stages while Im sure i'll have my What did the hell I do " moments my initial impression I feel the Shorin Ryu is a more complete art , No Knock against Shotokan but it seems its watered down version of Shorin Ryu . I went to one sparring class continous sparring Hard Contact but not full contact , but definitely alot different then the point sparring of Shotokan , I could see for sure that point sparring would get you pulverized in a street brawl with a good fighter. Ill never knock Shotokan but Ive always said Shotokan was designed for younger lighter people and has become largely a WKF Competition style . Of course all this is my opinion and personal observations .

Like I said its going to be while I get used to the shorin Ryu but thats the fun isnt it .

Thanks all for your inputs

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 11:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxguitar View Post
    No Knock against Shotokan but it seems its watered down version of Shorin Ryu .
    Some piss-quaffing Brazilian will be along shortly to speak to you.

All joking aside, my preferred source of Shotokan has always been the Shorei (Naha-Te) side. It's a lot better suited to someone of my stockier build and previous judo and wrestling background. The Shorin-influenced side was always far too light-on-its-feet for my way of dealing with trouble--but then, that's the side that suffered the most change when Karate was brought from Ryukyu to Japan.

In any case, have a blast!

Posted On:
    2/24/2013 12:47am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Up date Hey so far its about 2 months since I made the switch , Im really liking it ,
    The first step is having to unlearn alot of things such as the sport karate bad habits ,
    At this dojo we spar on monday nights and saturday evenings , Continous fighting no point fighting , the contact can go from light to moderate to hard , Not full contact ,
    The main portion is devoted to the Shorin Ryu Katas , while similiar to shotokan are also vastly different . The stances are obviously higher and shorter and less stressful to my knees. Also there are 7 prearranged Yakosuko kumites that are taught I havent even made a dent in those there are two parts in those kumites the offensive and the defensive , I think those will take me along time to get lol I am glad I finally made the switch i will never knock shotokan or any art but I think Shorin Ryu is a much more complete art and more devoted to real fighting then Shotokan , at least what most modern shotokan dojos have become , mostly sports karate concentrating on getting that point . Whereas I think the Shorin Ryu smore concerned with surviving a street encounter just my humble observation. so far its been a positive experience , i have alot of work ahead of me , Looking forward to it
    Last edited by foxguitar; 2/24/2013 12:51am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2013 1:08am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxguitar View Post
    Up date Hey so far its about 2 months since I made the switch , Im really liking it ,
    The first step is having to unlearn alot of things such as the sport karate bad habits ,
    At this dojo we spar on monday nights and saturday evenings , Continous fighting no point fighting , the contact can go from light to moderate to hard , Not full contact ,
    The main portion is devoted to the Shorin Ryu Katas , while similiar to shotokan are also vastly different . The stances are obviously higher and shorter and less stressful to my knees. Also there are 7 prearranged Yakosuko kumites that are taught I havent even made a dent in those there are two parts in those kumites the offensive and the defensive , I think those will take me along time to get lol I am glad I finally made the switch i will never knock shotokan or any art but I think Shorin Ryu is a much more complete art and more devoted to real fighting then Shotokan , at least what most modern shotokan dojos have become , mostly sports karate concentrating on getting that point . Whereas I think the Shorin Ryu smore concerned with surviving a street encounter just my humble observation. so far its been a positive experience , i have alot of work ahead of me , Looking forward to it
    I'm glad you're enjoying yourself! The Yakusoku Kumite sets can definitely be tricky--particularly 1, 5, 6, and 7. Those all have turns in them, and can have some similarities that cause you to mix up which one you are doing. 2, 3, and 4 are easy, though! One thing that I find interesting about the Yakusoku Kumite sets is that they look like your typical, impractical karate partner drills, and then all of a sudden they throw in a practical, effective technique that would either end a fight or put you in a position to do so.

Welcome to the system! :)

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 10:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsumusha View Post
    I'm glad you're enjoying yourself! The Yakusoku Kumite sets can definitely be tricky--particularly 1, 5, 6, and 7. Those all have turns in them, and can have some similarities that cause you to mix up which one you are doing. 2, 3, and 4 are easy, though! One thing that I find interesting about the Yakusoku Kumite sets is that they look like your typical, impractical karate partner drills, and then all of a sudden they throw in a practical, effective technique that would either end a fight or put you in a position to do so.

Welcome to the system! :)
    Thanks , Im enjoying it the people are all very cool and am training with some good karate ka , The kata is the main thing stressed , I just started to learn the first Yakosuko 's , I could definitely see how they can throw you off . Im picking up the Kata pretty quick considering they are similar to shotokan , My Sensei while he is Kobayashi also throws in Shobayashi and Matsubayashi katas for fun like the Fugyatas Wansu , and Seiunchin for example . Its a good system
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast