Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/01/2012 7:27pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackjack View Post
    You can buy medicine off of eBay? Wow.
    You can buy medicine FOR FISH off ebay. The fact that they're exactly the same stuff they give to people is beside the point.

Posted On:
    10/01/2012 9:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    You can buy medicine FOR FISH off ebay.
    If, in your enthusiasm for a bargain, you got a great price buying fish medicine on eBay, but realize you have no fish, you can then buy fish on eBay. Also, a tank, food, etc.

P. T. Barnum was a prophet...

Posted On:
    10/01/2012 9:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    If, in your enthusiasm for a bargain, you got a great price buying fish medicine on eBay, but realize you have no fish, you can then buy fish on eBay. Also, a tank, food, etc.

P. T. Barnum was a prophet...
    Ha. Yeah... I can see where you're coming from, but the decision was more based on the condition of the finger and the fact that they had three chances to decide that stronger antibiotics might be in order with me telling them that previous courses of antibiotics weren't working. At the time, I didn't have insurance so every visit was expensive. If they had taken it seriously, I would have gotten the antibiotics through them happily.

But the truth of the matter is this: Most veterinary drugs are the exact same pills used in humans. In fact, it's illegal for pills with the same color, shape and imprint to contain different drugs than what that imprint is for. Here's the example from my particular doxycyline: http://www.drugs.com/imprints/west-ward-3142-844.html

Even more fun, I know of a local pharmacy that carries literally the exact same pill.

While I don't generally recommend subverting your medical professional since they likely know a bit more about the subject than you do, but if you're without insurance and the treatment offered has proven ineffective... well, you do the math.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2012 10:18pm

Style: Tkd,mauythai,bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about that, I have a lot of family in healthcare. I remember them distinctly saying that our physiology is completely different to any other life form, even male and females aren't supposed to use the same products for that reason. I would assume its the same for pets.
    I wouldn't be so alarmed if you wake up one day with DD cup breasts, a small wang, and an extra nut due to medical malfunction in steroids, and antibiotics since you wanted the cheap way out.

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 10:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some antibiotics work differently for people and animals, just like all other drugs. Some work in similar fashion, just like all other drugs. Doxycycline was developed and approved for use in humans around 1970. The main reason you can find it like this is because the patents have expired but it remains effective and is still often used in humans for persistent drug-resistant infections under a number of brand names, including the original: vibramycin. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000563/

That being said, it can have some nasty side effects, like sunlight allergy (pretty much always) and vertigo (in some people). Really, though, this is not the place to argue this point. Let's just leave it at this: I still have all my fingers as a result of using this medication. The exact same medication is carried by pharmacies to treat humans. The rest really belongs in an argument about what's wrong with the US health care system or a prepper thread.

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 1:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackjack View Post
    I don't know about that, I have a lot of family in healthcare. I remember them distinctly saying that our physiology is completely different to any other life form, even male and females aren't supposed to use the same products for that reason. I would assume its the same for pets.
    I wouldn't be so alarmed if you wake up one day with DD cup breasts, a small wang, and an extra nut due to medical malfunction in steroids, and antibiotics since you wanted the cheap way out.
    You have a point if you go buy a box that say Dog Antibiotics on it with out reading the ingredients. As it may contain a specially formulated antibiotic that works well in K9s.
    What is being said though is if you go and buy doxycyline for dogs its simply going to be doxycyline.
    I tend to agree though unless you know what your doing I don't suggest messing around with stuff that isn't OTC for humans.

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 2:04pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only that, it would behoove you to make sure the pills are marked the same as the company's version for people. If they are, they are subject to the same controls as the human version.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 4:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Separated shoulder (2nd degree bordering on 3rd degree ACL tear) in 2000 - never fully healed and never will. My right shoulder is noticeably lower than my left and my right collar bone pokes up on top.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 1:37pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was squatting not even that much like 200 pounds but with a hyperextended back and smack, broken vertebra.

Now my lumbar vertebrae are just sitting infront of each other no bone connects them together.

Doctors misdiagnosed it for a tear and treated me for the wrong thing for months.

Been out of Judo for even more months now. I sneak in some randori with my buddies sometimes cause I'm an idiot.

But...the upside is I'm now back to 190lb on squats and 220lb on the deadlift, almost pain free.

Couldn't even lift the bar at first.

My goal (eventually) is 500lb on both.

Maybe then I can Judo again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2012 1:46am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few years back, so long ago the mats were straw, I was competing in a regional championship, in the semifinals fighting Ed liddie. Down by a koka a miniute left I had a extream left grip him righty tried Kanibasami on on my left leg. My team mate heard the snap two mats away. I went down in pain thought I cuold finish the match and sat up to see my left foot pointing the wrong direction. i remember laying back down and telling the ref "Just take me away"
    The ambulance comes parks in front of the venue, they wheel me off and in to the ambulance. They can't get the ambulance started for a hour and a half. meanwhile the tournament ends and everyone walks by us, it was a hot day the doors were open and everyone had something to say. Needles to say it wasn't my best day.
    Last edited by judoratt; 12/29/2012 1:55am at .
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast