Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 2:20pm

Style: HEMA, Judo, Bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Broke my fibula in three places a couple of weeks ago showing a variation of obi otoshi to a wrestler friend while drunk outside of a motel at a HEMA event. I had intended to only show the initial set-up(apparently I said, "I'll be real gentle") but as I stepped behind him my foot rolled in the grass and I fell. As we were both drunk he went down too on my leg. I heard a couple of snaps, but thought is was just a sprained ankle. I got up and had more beer. Spent the next day hobbling around and judging a ringen tournament. Later that evening I walked around Leavenworth Wa, drinking beer for a pain killer. The next day the ankle was black and when I got back to Spokane had it checked out.

I've broken a finger in Longsword, my pinky toe twice and dislocated a pinky in judo, separated cartilage in my ribs and cracked my nose in kenpo, but the most memorable 'injury' was getting shot in the dick at my batchelor party the first time I played paintball. That **** hurt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 3:23pm

Style: Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leg.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	13771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leg2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	13772

Not much. Except that time in 2006 when I was on my bike and an a@@hat in an SUV ran a stop sign at high speed and slammed into me. Threw me 20+ feet. Spinal compression, bone bruise on my shoulder, massive cuts and scrapes, and the best part - a smashed lower right leg. Her bumper first impacted my right leg and blew the tib/fib to bits. Immediate surgery required. They had to cut open my knee, run a drill bit down the center of my tibia and put in an 18" rod running from my knee to my ankle. Then they patched me up with screws, staples, etc. But the break was so bad it didn't heal in 3 months. So surgery # 2 they had to open up the knee, pull out all the screws, and remove the rod. Then they opened up my good femur, scooped out some bone marrow, and mixed that up with some plastic stuff, and put it into the area that didn't heal (that's what's known as a bone graft). Then they had to re-drill out the center of the tibia with a larger diameter drill bit and put in a thicker rod from my knee to my ankle. They also decided to cut open the front of my shin and put in a 6" plate to help keep things together. The pain was the most unfreaking horrifically thing in the world. I actually passed out from the pain a few times and threw up more than once from the pain. I was on Percacet and Oxycontin in heavy dosages daily for months. Oh yea, I almost forgot I almost died from a blood clot in the hospital after the second surgery. I went home with blood clot meds that required I give myself shots in the stomach daily. And then there was the bed pan - but we won't go there. All in all it took my about 9 months to walk again.

Other than that I'm just healing up from some bruised ribs from take down class.

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 3:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From training?

A few years back, I snapped the long-head origin of my biceps muscle out of my right shoulder. Was doing a migi soto-uke/hammerfist and expecting more resistance from the target, which crumpled instead.

Crumple. Snap.

I now have what is essentially a "uniceps" muscle on that side. The deformity of my upper arm is as visible as it is permanent. (And I used to be so fucking pretty.) Fortunately, it's the short-head-origin of the biceps that does most of the heavy hauling, so I've been able to rehab that arm to within a few percentage points of its former strength.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 6:19pm

Style: Boxing and Moo Duk Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rotator cuff tendonitis from a combination of too much bench pressing, overhead pressing, speedbag, and heavy bag with an unhealthy dose of working with my hands over my head at work.
    It took me months to starting pressing heavy again and every time I lift too much volume it hurts again. I still am very careful with the punching. I don't train as much as I should be. It is weird because my shoulders are the muscles that get noticed the most by people but they seem to be the weakest joint in my body.

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 9:03pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Impinged right shoulder. Took a cortisone injection and many weeks of recovery to fix that one. I wouldn't say it's 100% now but its close enough that it doesn't hurt or stop me from using specific techniques.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 11:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudenoodle View Post
    A little more than two weeks ago my left calf cramped up during sparring, the next day my left heel became very sore, almost as though it was bruised.

Yesterday I went on my first run since the injury, my calf and heel felt good at the start but I had to stop before even the first mile because the pain came back. Now this morning I'm back to limping with the odd sensation in my calf muscle like it may try to cramp up at anytime.

It's an injury that has me a bit paranoid and hopefully soon I can repost on how I overcame it.
    I hope you haven't found out since you posted this that you have a tear in your achilles. Seriously, get this checked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

:)

Posted On:
    9/30/2012 2:45am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My most memorable, no ****, was the night of the Sonnen/Siva II fight. I watched the fight, in spite of mild inebriation, put on a documentary about Prince Naseem (boxer) and awoke in the morning with this:

Apparently I fell off the chair asleep, and faceplanted, with my glasses cutting me as I mushed them. I didn't wake up though, and discovered it in the morning.

Posted On:
    9/30/2012 4:42am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most memorable MA-related injury would've been three days before my 21st. I was out celebrating with a mate (who's a few days older than me) and the club was closing so were all heading to the taxi line. We had trained Muay Thai together previously and were branching out with the wide variety of arts on offer at our uni. He was taking kempo, I was taking the uber deadly aikido.

Anyway, we tend to play fight often, especially when inebriated. So nothing new there, only he had just learnt a new foot sweep that week and decided to try it out on me. Well, it really worked. Split the end of my Tibia up the middle. Had two screws put in to hold it all together. Was memorable as I celebrated my 21st that weekend in a wheelchair that I loaned from the ER.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    9/30/2012 1:00pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's see... from training it'd be a fingernail I popped off the bed while sweeping an opponent.

Not so bad? Au contraire! That's what I thought, too. No signs of swelling, no pain, no nothing.
    Then, a week or so later my finger went numb. I said to myself, "Huh. Must have slept on my arm weird and pinched a nerve or something." A couple days after that, it went cold and turned purple. Then I went to the doctor, who had a very House-like moment of, "I think it's infected." She then did what doctors do and gave me the weakest antibiotic she possibly could, which weakened the infection enough to present me with excruciating pain from the finger any time it touched anything instead of numbness. Course one didn't kill the infection. It then apparently developed resistance to ampicillin(sp?), because courses two and three did absolutely fuckall. By this time my finger had dry gangrene and necrosis deep inside it. I was beginning to think I would have to look like a shop teacher and lose about half of my sign language ability. The doctor was talking about another course of ampicillin, so I got on ebay and bought some deoxycycline(sp?) which was packaged for aquarium use. After about six more days the infection was gone, but it took three months for me to be able to do tasks like writing without extreme pain. My finger now has a little dent in the front and is kinda asymmetrical but it works, feels things and still occasionally kicks out pieces of dead flesh.

This infection was not in any way related to the cleanliness of the gym, it was either something already under my nail, on my partner's gi or that I picked up later. I'm guessing it was number two, personally. The moral of the story is this: cut your nails short short. Mine were still really short, but apparently not short enough. And if something is weird, go see a doctor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2012 5:07pm

Style: Tkd,mauythai,bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can buy medicine off of eBay? Wow.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast