Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 4:53pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    One thing that TMA has taught me well is being able to keep a solid, low stance.

When you go on jogs, try to do 0.5 miles on your toes (balls of your feet) every jog. You'll quickly build up the necessary muscles to keep your heels off the ground.
    Nice idea. I think I'll try that.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 8:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im not gonna add anything that hasnt already been said a million times, but what the **** where those two guys in the background doing? you shouldnt feel bad about naming and shaming this place, because that was fucking awful, and if that guy has been training for 2 years he should be embarassed. i recommend showing him and others at your gym this thread. and then break the sign at the gyms doorway.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 9:22pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, the thread is over.

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 2:39am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and if that guy has been training for 2 years he should be embarassed
    2 years longer than Azatdawn, actually. So at least 3, and I think it's actually 4. Just so we're completely clear on what a disaster this place really is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 3:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well well... did I mention how glad I am that I quit there? It never really struck me as that bad until a while ago... of course, seeing this video hasn't made it any better. Makes me feel pretty dumb for having stayed there for so long.

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 4:41am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the better drills (imo) to teach you not to always retreat and especially not to lean backwards like that is this:
    You and a sparring partner, all geared up including head gear (you go kinda hard 70%). Your partner is number 1, he can punch with either hand but only hooks and a single punch, your job is not to get hit (however you want, slips, blocks, jumping backward/inward, tying him up etc. but, immediately after his strike you can retaliate with a hook yourself. You don't counter, you wait a split secund after his strike and only than you can strike back. At first go easy, but when it starts to heat up, you will go back to your bad habits and guess what, you won't be able to touch him if you do. (Forgot to say that he off-course doesn't just stand there to get hit, he does the same as you, jump back/sideways, block etc. ) The reason for the hooks is to make you work harder with your foot work for lack of reach. You will notice that if you aren't relaxed and loose, you won't be quick enough to catch him. You will learn to block and stay relaxed. Second, if you always lean back or jump back it won't work so it forces you to actually start boxing. Another variation of this, is you being number one, attacking with a single hook, and he can retaliate with one or two punches whatever kind he likes, you will learn quick enough (if he has some reach and ability) that it's actually better to get inside right after a hook to avoid those counter punches, and again you will start boxing instead of just exchanging single blows from the outside. We do those sparring drills all the time, and it really works, with a good partner it is sometimes actually harder than free sparing. You also need to start sparing lightly! (like in the video) toe to toe (no moving the feet) it also is a great way to get some action! just go lightly or you will get more than you bargain for.
    Last edited by erezb; 8/27/2012 4:46am at .

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 5:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Well well... did I mention how glad I am that I quit there? It never really struck me as that bad until a while ago... of course, seeing this video hasn't made it any better. Makes me feel pretty dumb for having stayed there for so long.
    Don't be too hard on yourself. I spent a year in a place a lot like yours, learning nothing but garbage and bad habits and I never twigged to how crappy it was until all 4 people we fielded at a show got smashed. 3 of them lost by KO. I asked the "coach" about working on some specific things that I felt I needed help on after that, which was completely ignored. I bounced not long after that. I had so many problems that the place I went to next didn't let me spar for nearly 5 months because the coach was concerned that I'd get hurt. I spent a lot of time grumbling about what a waste the last place had been.

Hindsight's always 20-20, and it's tough to see a crappy situation while you're in it. Especially if you like the place, but better late than never, right?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 9:05am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    You went to an alive gym that was mediocre/sucked, but was inexpensive and not a McDojo. Trust me when I say it could be MUCH worse. Do you need videos of 10-15-20 year practitioners that make your video look like a pro-fighter? The ones where people think they are real fighters?

It really isn't as bad as you think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 9:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I guess you're both right. It still feels like a wake-up call that's been necessary for a long time. It's so weird that when I put effort into it, I was able to dominate most guys there in sparring. Made me feel a bit too secure, I guess. So yeah, thanks again for all the responses. I'm really glad I posted this video.

Also, I've been thinking about training at a better place, then going back and beating everybody with style. I might have to start a thread in YMAS to collect some one-liners to use.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123