Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2012 5:56am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grab my fist View Post
    I'm just saying you need to get comfortable with getting hit dude .
    Ah that, true. The last couple of times I've convinced my training partners to do a corner drill with me, where I'll stand against a wall, guard up, and just let myself get hit all the time, and just try to defend and maybe once in a while counter a bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2012 6:15am

Style: Judo,JKD,Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the way! Sounds like you know what you need to get out of your training. Hope you find a new space that can help you with that.

Posted On:
    8/25/2012 7:52am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Ah that, true. The last couple of times I've convinced my training partners to do a corner drill with me, where I'll stand against a wall, guard up, and just let myself get hit all the time, and just try to defend and maybe once in a while counter a bit.
    Solid idea. I was in your shoes a few years ago, and it's always rough when you have an idea of what might help you improve, but nobody's willing or capable of doing it. Sounds like you have a good idea of what to look for.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2012 11:30am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Author of Philosophy of Fighting: Morals and Motivations of the Modern Warrior Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    What you want to do there is block or try to make other the guy miss. Also, you should work on counterpunching and escaping. You should get hit some, but it shouldn't be all the time. And it certainly shouldn't be full power, since this is just practice.

Check out some James Toney or Chris Byrd fights to see examples of excellent defense and counterpunching.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    8/25/2012 12:13pm

PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, don't 'practice' getting hit. Its one thing to not be afraid of it but there is no reason for you to get used to getting hit. When you do any drill where you are just defending, always slip, weave, block, angle away. alllways!!
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2012 12:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithAtTakadaDojo View Post
    What you want to do there is block or try to make other the guy miss. Also, you should work on counterpunching and escaping. You should get hit some, but it shouldn't be all the time. And it certainly shouldn't be full power, since this is just practice.
    Yeah, I'm sorry I wasn't clear, that's exactly what I'm doing.

Posted On:
    8/25/2012 4:27pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When retreating, you shouldn’t break your form, which is leaning slightly forward, don’t lean backwards that is a bad habit, you can’t attack from that position and it puts you in a vulnerable position.
    I understand that you do MT, and maybe some of your mistakes are due to that fact, like keeping your hands low, and the queer angel your left hand blocks.
    You don’t counter, you don’t faint, and when you attack the body (rarely) you are too high and open especially when you lead with the left. Your jabs aren’t crisp (even when going light you can have some “crisp”), when you punch, your chin is too high (could be the head gear). Your legs are too straight, you have no spring in them. If that is how you look after two years (albeit I don’t know the frequency) you need a better coach and better sparring partners, your partner there looked the part with his physique, shiny pants and tight guard for about two second’s.
    Most of the stuff I and others pointed out will go away if you start drilling and sparring with good partners and a good coach.
    There are drills that focus on a better guard and position, if you are interested I will elaborate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 3:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    There are drills that focus on a better guard and position, if you are interested I will elaborate.
    Thanks for your reply and sure, go ahead.

By the way, I'd partly attribute the laziness of my legs a bit to this being the end of the two hours of training and two rounds of sparring before this one. Yeah, I know. Excuses, excuses.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 3:45pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing that TMA has taught me well is being able to keep a solid, low stance.

When you go on jogs, try to do 0.5 miles on your toes (balls of your feet) every jog. You'll quickly build up the necessary muscles to keep your heels off the ground.
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Yours truly

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 3:46pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing that TMA has taught me well is being able to keep a solid, low stance.

When you go on jogs, try to do 0.5 miles on your toes (balls of your feet) every jog. You'll quickly build up the necessary muscles to keep your heels off the ground.
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast