Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 8:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

More sparring!

I'm doing MMA/basic bjj and a kickboxing class I do 6 classes per week plus rolling and sparring on weekends.I spar once per week at kick boxing for 15 minutes and 2 hours on sunday and I hit the bag before s&c training.Is this enough stricking sparring its really hard to balance grappling and stiking considering im still in highschool.Whats the minimum amount of sparring to get better at Stand up stricking? we all no all MMA fights start from the feet.
    :fuckyea:
    peace! tenacious666

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 12:36am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tenacious666 View Post
    I'm doing MMA/basic bjj and a kickboxing class I do 6 classes per week plus rolling and sparring on weekends.I spar once per week at kick boxing for 15 minutes and 2 hours on sunday and I hit the bag before s&c training.Is this enough stricking sparring its really hard to balance grappling and stiking considering im still in highschool.Whats the minimum amount of sparring to get better at Stand up stricking? we all no all MMA fights start from the feet.
    :fuckyea:
    peace! tenacious666
    So you workout six days a week, and roughly 2 1/2 hours of time is spent doing standup sparring.

I spar hard for an hour every week; but then again, I'm much more focused on improving my grappling game, and my standup sparring is about keeping my skills somewhat sharp.

I figure this is really something you should ask your coach. Personally, in my non-instructor opinion, having a bias towards grappling at your age is a good thing (as grappling tends to have a longer learning curve).

Best of luck.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 3:02am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't worry too much about specific times of different training. As you gain more skills the areas where you NEED more time will be evident. There is no formula for training, it all depends on many factors.

Frankly it sounds like you are maxing out already. I'd read http://www.amazon.com/The-Imaginary-.../dp/0552996807, the best book about training and mas, and how it shaped his life. I'm worried that you are training so much that you won't have time to read (or kiss a girl, or learn to surf, ski, or anything else).
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 8/31/2012 3:06am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 10:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reminds me of my highschool training schedule.

When I was training in highschool our sparring schedule ran something like this at the end of classes:
    3 rounds of grappling (every class)
    3 rounds of light-medium sparring (every class)
    4-6 rounds of medium-heavy sparring once a week
    3 rounds very heavy sparring (once a month if people chose)