Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 7:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, she was definitely mad. You dont make an ad hominem personal attack like "something is seriously wrong with you if you try to tap me in my guard" if you aren't mad. Besides, all the other symptoms of anger were present. Trust me, I was there.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 7:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choking someone from inside the guard isn't the best idea.

You're being a noob, it's ok. Just try to pass next time.

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 7:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tangler View Post
    No, she was definitely mad. You dont make an ad hominem personal attack like "something is seriously wrong with you if you try to tap me in my guard"
    That's not an ad hominem. "Your dick is to small for me to learn anything from you," or "Of course you'd try to tap me out from my guard; you're an Armenian" would be.

Another example of an ad hominem:

Is it commonplace to go easy on women in BJJ? This seems against the whole point of training; she would be getting a false sense of her ability if that were the case and wouldn't know how to handle someone stronger.
    So you think she was sore because she was a woman, and not because she seemed to know a bit more than you did. (This is what the other people in the thread are telling you for the most part.) If a buff male black belt, or even one of your exact strength and build had told you the same thing, would you have come here to wonder aloud if people were just going easy on them, which is against the whole spirit of training?

Besides, all the other symptoms of anger were present. Trust me, I was there.
    You were hardly an objective observer of the encounter.
    Last edited by Rivington; 8/24/2012 7:52pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 7:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Tangler, what's your rank in BJJ? I only ask because if you knew enough about BJJ to know when people muscled a technique or just used, well, technique then you likely would not be here asking your OP.
    I get your point, but it really doesn't matter if I know when I am being muscled or not, because I know when people are going for the tap or to teach/learn. Being a white belt (to answer your question) I have experienced both in regards to how much they let me learn in the roll and there is a difference. Its based on how much room the opponent gives for error, if they let you finish the attack even if they can escape and vice-versa, stuff like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 7:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    That's not an ad hominem. "Your dick is to small for me to learn anything from you," or "Of course you'd try to tap me out from my guard; you're an Armenian" would be.

You were hardly an objective participant in the encounter.
    Saying that there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH ME (bolded not to yell, but to highlight) is pretty unnecessary in that situation. I would equate that to anger.

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 8:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saying that there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH ME (bolded not to yell, but to highlight) is pretty unnecessary in that situation. I would equate that to anger.
    I know you would. I don't think you're lying; I just think you've mistaken frustration with your spazzitude with anger and bitterness over your move.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 8:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    I know you would. I don't think you're lying; I just think you've mistaken frustration with your spazzitude with anger and bitterness over your move.
    my spazzitude is the result of the reaction I got for trying to perform the move, a reaction which I didn't expect. I am by no means angry, perhaps a little bitter, but mostly over her irrational irritation.

But this is a useless point to argue about because there is no evidence to support or refute my claim.

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 8:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ChengPengFi:
    That may be so. But TBH, most of the guys I roll with are trying to win, using brute strength when they don't have the technique just to edge in a victory. I don't see what is wrong with trying to keep up and win as well. Most people in my school seem to roll to win, maybe they shouldn't, and there are those that don't, but it does make it more fun sometimes.
    Be that as it may, yep, you're a douche.
    I'll just leave you with these:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91604
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108818

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 8:17pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're crushing the trachea during a guillotine you're doing it wrong.You're probably also being a dick.Sounds like you know you're doing the move wrongSo change it. No wonder she was pissed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 8:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    If you're crushing the trachea during a guillotine you're doing it wrong.You're probably also being a dick.Sounds like you know you're doing the move wrongSo change it. No wonder she was pissed.
    Im not crushing the trachea, and no one has complained. Please don't make assumptions. I was only asking because I had heard it can be bad for you to do any choke in that area.

But I do think you guys are right. I didn't break any etiquette per-say, but I was being a dick by trying to tap her instead of practice necessary skills.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast