Thread: Art vs. Artist

Style
    Ving Tsun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Art vs. Artist

I have read this site for a few weeks and I enjoy it as i do enjoy rigorous analysis and discourse.

Having been involved in martial arts for many years, and being a compulsive researcher for many years before that, I have read some posts on this site inconsistent with my own experience. Many of these things are on what appear to be older, "dead" threads and I am not sure how to comment.

What is the proper protocol: 1) start a new thread listing comments referencing the original thread; 2) Comment on the existing thread; or 3) accept that what has been said is the conclusion of the issue and say nothing.

Thanks.

Style
    kenpo, Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Newbietown is a safe place. Might as well say what's on your mind and introduce yourself while you are at it.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if it involves the effectviness of any of the Chun varients I would take a good hard look and see if you are truely going to be presenting a new/ never heard argument.

It's just considered bad form to bring an old topic to the table without a fresh/unique perspective.

Don't know if that helps.

Style
    kenpo, Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and you talk of "inconsistent with my own experience". This sounds close to anecdotal evidence. People have tried to prove things with this. It does not work.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwood1971 View Post
    What is the proper protocol: 1) start a new thread listing comments referencing the original thread;
    That would not go over well.

2) Comment on the existing thread; or
    Thread necromancy is specifically forbidden, except in cases where significant, new information is available. Not the case here.

3) accept that what has been said is the conclusion of the issue and say nothing.
    Not a real option. As Mike123 says, you can ask a question or two in Newbietown. More effective, however, would be to meet some Bullies. There is a strong and active NY contingent.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3) accept that what has been said is the conclusion of the issue and say nothing.
    99.9% of the time this is your answer.
    Honestly, read through what it is you want to comment on and look to see if what you want to say has been said, I know I know its not going to be said as eloquently as you would have liked to say it yourself but it has been said and it has been responded to. If it really hasn't been said and you honestly think your contributing to the conversation in a new and fresh manner by all means comment.

My real advise is just wait around here a bit, someone else will come along and reopen what ever it is you wanted to talk about anyways and then you can jump on in.

Style
    Chinese Boxing

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    That would not go over well.
    This could be taken two ways, so I am going to address both. It would be preferred to necroing old threads. One of my pet peeves is someone running around necroing threads with inane "In my experience blah blah blah." I'd rather see a new thread, with the quotes, and THE PROPER CONTEXT given in the response. In other words, no cherry picking things because they may be specific to a silly comment or actually full of sarcasm a poster missed.

He should know, if it adds nothing new, you are right that it will not go over well.