218358 Bullies, 4776 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 9:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Outside of the debate people have over whether these laws work, I find the inability to enforce them due to disrupting technology fascinating.
    To me, that's the biggest misconception of this whole discussion - that this allows people to break a law that can't be enforced. That just isn't the case. Having the means to make something yourself doesn't make the law unenforceable.

You can make a short barreled rifle, a short barreled shotgun and a suppressor in your garage right now with a hacksaw, a file and some tubing. With a little knowledge and a few power tools you can turn a semiautomatic weapon into a fully automatic weapon. Why is it that everyone isn't doing it then? Why isn't this ability flaming the wildfires of revolution against Big Brother?

Because everybody wants to be Guy Fawkes until the ATF is balls deep in their butthole. That's why. They don't have to catch everyone to stop it. They just make examples of a few and that will suffice.

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 9:21pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are 100% right on the law enforcement angle and no one wants to mess with ATF. However, when the lawmakers put up obstacles to buying a given item their intention is to control the process. They don't worry about the home made stuff because it is not practical. Along comes a technology and that control might be compromised. Of course I am from a state were the point of laws is to feel good, not actually accomplish anything. I am sure that is affecting my outlook on this.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 9:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    You are 100% right on the law enforcement angle and no one wants to mess with ATF. However, when the lawmakers put up obstacles to buying a given item their intention is to control the process. They don't worry about the home made stuff because it is not practical. Along comes a technology and that control might be compromised. Of course I am from a state were the point of laws is to feel good, not actually accomplish anything. I am sure that is affecting my outlook on this.
    What is inspirational or revolutionary about making something you're just going to bury inside a length of PVC pipe in your back yard because you're afraid you'll get caught with it? Then when there actually is a scenario the zombie prepper crowd refers to as SHTF or TEOTWAWKI or WROL or some other silly acronym - congratulations, you have a piece of **** plastic gun to fall back on. Woohoo!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2012 10:31am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see no reason why, with future improvements to the process and materials, someone couldn't "print" out a functioning receiver. Until someone comes out with a revolutionary advance in polymer chemistry, though, it's really not worth the effort and worries, especially since someone with a milling machine can easily manufacture functional receivers for many kinds of weapons, including STEN submachine guns that are far more durable and reliable.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apologies for the necro, but it looks like they've solved the lower receiver issue.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...All+content%29
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345