Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/23/2012 9:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Senshusei course

I am posting this here because folks who post here are the ultimate aikido sceptics. I read about a course called the Senshusei Course on a post on this forum which I am no longer able to find. Anyways, the post was written by a judoka who strongly dislikes aikido and it strongly endorsed the course as practical and effective.

The course was originally used to train riot police and sounds good but I want to know if anybody out there has actually participated in the course. Is it really combat oriented and combat effective?

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    8/23/2012 10:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally, have not done the Senhusei course, although I have read Angry White Pyjamas.

A swift search yielded a few interesting threads, although I'll let you chase them up.

I realise this isn't strictly what you asked for, but hopefully you may find these informative :-

Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    That has to be one of the best posts I've ever heard.

As to the OP. The fact is, a lot of the techniques in Akido and Japanese JJ (which Akido has its basis in) are used a lot for compliance reasons. It has also found some uses in social situations requiring restraint such as a party where your drunk friend gets out of hand or some idiot who thinks he's too bad for his own good. As said earlier, with regards to the police, you still use your weapons, but once you require compliance for come-alongs and restraint, they can come in handy. Mind you, this is usually after all your buddies have come along to help you out. And as for the social situations, it usually works when the other person isn't putting up enough of a fight for it to work and not enough for it not to work...if that makes any sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Yep.

The book also makes it clear that the Riot Police train in Yoshinkan Aikido because Shioda supported certain ultra-conservative political causes that allowed him to make solid connections with senior police officials at the right time.

"Japanese spirit" in this sense is kind of a code-word for a combination of physical toughness, unquestioning obedience to instructions and "there is no 'I' in team." IIRC (haven't read the book for a long time), when one of the riot cops is asked about whether he was planning on using Aikido in the field, he looked at the questioner like he was crazy and pointed to his weapons belt.

All of that said, the Senshusei course is by all accounts extremely grueling, bordering on sadistically hard physical training with few pulled punches, and it seems to attract some pretty extreme personalities as well. At one point, the author mentions that he didn't know whether he could make Aikido work in a real fight, but he knew that he could take a hell of a beating before going down. There's a mini-documentary about the course at YouTube - Yoshinkan Aikido Senshusei Training Program .

The author also described a bar-brawl involving a large number of top-ranking Yoshinkan instructors who were in Tokyo for Shioda's funeral. When he asked one of them what he used in the fight, the instructor demonstrated what was basically a standing RNC (not orthodox Aikido) but said that his ability to relax and "sink" his weight into the hold while maintaining balance was the result of Aikido training.

On the topic of Aikido and riots, there was a video clip floating round the Net a few years back that showed a tall, middle aged Japanese man using what appeared to be Aikido very effectively against several opponents in some sort of riot or street protest. IIRC he was basically keeping a high guard and took at least two people down using shomen ate (palm thrust to the jaw.) Can't find it on YouTube, though.

I'd recommend "Angry White Pyjamas," it's well-written, entertaining and informative.
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 1:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My aikido teacher went through it. He said that by the end of it the bottoms of his feet were one big blister apiece... And that's after all the sweat and blood. According to him it is murderously difficult not only for the regular reasons but occasionally the instructors will take you out drinking (you're not allowed to say no) so you'll have to train hungover on almost no sleep.

Most of the people there don't make it because it's equivalent to army training basically.
    It's geared to take someone from a raw recruit to shodan over the course's duration.

And as for combat effectiveness it gets you good fast and gets you the mentality to survive.
    Even those experienced in aikido do it at their own peril. My teacher was 3rd Dan when he did it and it didn't make it any less grueling.