Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Aikido Working?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    207
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Aikido Working?

    Does this count as Aikido working?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,587
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice.

    There was a robbery in Belgrade last year. Robber bursts in, resident Aikido master tries to stop him. He got shot in the head. Luckily, he survived.

  3. #3
    Rivington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    4,803
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "It finally came in handy...those useless classes he was taking."

    Anyway, in encounters like this, initiative works wonders. Good for him. Doubt the worker would have managed it without the wrist-lock training he had, goofy as it is in other contexts.

    Also, "search function n00b", as they say (though I just use Google because the internal search function sucks):

    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=113305&page=1

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,574
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    Does this count as Aikido working?

    Yes. Wish there was surveillance video footage. It would be very interesting to see. I don't know about the wisdom of resisting, you have to be there to decide and there is always uncertainty. From his description it sounds like he was correct to take a hold of the gun and get the disarm.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    325
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even a blind squirrel gets a nut from time to time.

    So, it proves this guy is a tough ballsy bastard... ....but it doesn't say **** for the effectiveness of Aikido.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    207
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    except that one of its basic wrist locks can work to disarm a gun touting criminal from close range?

    Good on the guy, defended the ice cream to his full ability.

  7. #7
    itwasntme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Norf Carolina, throw ya hands up
    Posts
    1,715
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    "It finally came in handy...those useless classes he was taking."
    That nerdy white boy is getting laid tonight.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,574
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    Even a blind squirrel gets a nut from time to time.

    So, it proves this guy is a tough ballsy bastard... ....but it doesn't say **** for the effectiveness of Aikido.
    It is evidence of Aikido working for this application. Nothing more nothing less.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    325
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    It is evidence of Aikido working for this application. Nothing more nothing less.
    Its a single point of data. Does it mean that the technique is a high percentage one? Or that it is trained in a manner that would provide a high likelihood of execution under stress.

    To be clear, this technique worked for this guy, this time. Its a single point of data. You would really need to start compiling self defense scenarios when Aikido was utilized to determine its true capability.

    Or they could just start competing. That would be nice.

  10. #10
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,442
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    It is evidence of an Aikido technique working. Nothing more nothing less.
    Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    Its a single point of data. Does it mean that the technique is a high percentage one? Or that it is trained in a manner that would provide a high likelihood of execution under stress.

    To be clear, this technique worked for this guy, this time. Its a single point of data. You would really need to start compiling self defense scenarios when Aikido was utilized to determine its true capability.

    Or they could just start competing. That would be nice.
    Let me be the grammar Nazi. Is it proof or vindication for "Akido," which is an entire art? No.

    Is it proof that a technique, from the art called Aikido, can work? Yes.

    That is it. The OP is too general and the answer would be no.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO