Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 9:18am

Style: BJJ, striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. You know tangler, I started a blog about a month and a half ago with some random thoughts/etc about grappling. I've thought similar things to you and have really tried to hold back on putting them on the blog simply because there's no possible way I can have a good understanding of something like this after around 3 months.

Sometimes you have nights when it's frustrating as everyone with any color around their waist makes you feel like a fish flopping on the mats trying to survive but there's one thing I come away with after EVERY roll where I get tapped, "if I was smart enough to figure this whole thing out already then the training would be useless...". Also, if I don't see a clear difference between me and the more advanced guys than this stuff doesn't actually work.

But you know what...EVERY single tap I could learn something. Every single second of misery under some 250lb sweaty dude is teaching me how to escape from that next time. At this point in our training man, I think it's just a matter of learning to survive...

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 9:25am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    I don't come on the forum for a while and everyone is being really nice. What happened? Was there a memo?
    Nope, it was moved from newbietown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 1:30am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Nope, it was moved from newbietown.
    Ah, that makes sense.

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 1:45am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, at the idiot thinking we were nice.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 5:48am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I could talk to my past self...

As a small, feeble asthmatic learn to set traps and do things in combination rather than forcing one escape or submission. Develop a strategy to make the most of my strengths and disguise my weaknesses. Continue to identify and work on my weaknesses (and strengths for that matter!). Listen, I repeat listen to advice from others about my game and where they think there are gaps especially if they have proven it by tapping me. Plan - roll - evaluate. Repeat for the rest of your life. Oh, and STFU and listen.

I have been trying to do the above in a humble and honest way for almost 4 years I would not think to tell someone such as JNP he is wrong or hasn't considered something blindingly obvious. He's not and he has. Be respectful of those with more experience as you can learn far more from them than they will ever learn from you. So, to repeat, STFU and listen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 7:27am

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Not true. 2~3 days a week regularly for two years is enough to be advanced.

As for the OP, everything you need to know has been said. STFU Noob and train. Stick th that and you will be fine.
    I guess I should ask, "What is your definition of advanced?"

Maybe my timeline is off, but if you asked me I would think someone who trains 2-3 times a week for 2 years would be a high level blue belt. And I don't considered blue belt an advanced belt.

Are there exceptions? Sure, but I'm speaking in general.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 7:48am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTriangle View Post

Maybe my timeline is off, but if you asked me I would think someone who trains 2-3 times a week for 2 years would be a high level blue belt. And I don't considered blue belt an advanced belt.

Are there exceptions? Sure, but I'm speaking in general.
    Gezere doesn't measure time the way us mere mortals do.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTriangle View Post
    Purple or someone who can hang in the Advanced catagoery at a NAGA/GQ/etc

After two years of regular training and competing they should be at the point to get their purple. This does depend on the school and the intensity of the training however BJJ has evolved so much that blue belts today generally have to know way more than they used to to keep up competively.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234