Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 8:51pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tangler-Is the problem that you are getting tapped and you find it disheartening or frustrating? I get that impression from you. Let me impart some advice from one of my instructors. He made this statement to a seminar and it has truly changed my views on BJJ and training in general, "I get asked all the time about being in a bad position. But I do not care. I have tapped out before and I will again. It happens when you train."

Forget about being in a crappy position or getting smashed by someone bigger. You are still way to early in your training to be worrying about getting smashed. I am a bigger guy and I often find it harder to work with smaller guys. I have to be on my toes to close off every small gap, as the smaller guys can work their limbs through smaller holes. You will develop your game, if you will be more patient.

Yes, size matters. The size is not whats making you get smashed, it is your lack of skill.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 10:02pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ OP -

You would definitely benefit from taking jnp's insight to heart. I train with him regularly, and he is a wellspring of wisdom when it comes to grappling (I'm sure he is in other areas, as well). I've been training very steadily in BJJ, sambo, and judo for 4 years, and I have only now begun to truly let go of my ego.

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 6:35pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear noob-

I would like to point out to you a simple fact. These men are being extremely kind and thoughtful toward you. Most of us read your post, facepalm, and move on. Take a moment to thank these highly qualified individuals for their time and listen to them. You will notice that when you are talking to many people with more grappling experience then you and explaining your ideas, that often people such as myself will nod, mumble something affirming whatever crap is coming out of your mouth, and then proceed to try to forget about you and your insulting lack of respect for your more experienced colleagues. We will also probably have not so kind discussions about you. Please consider.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 6:37pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And yes, the fact that there are weight classes in almost every combat-type sport probably should have tipped you off that size matters.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 7:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tangler View Post
    Okay, that seems to be a more direct response to my question.

JNP, I may have made a blanket statement, and perhaps I should not analyze so much, but I also think it's pretty egotistical to disregard a noobs ideas just because they are a noob. Evaluate my points based on what I said, not on how offended you are that I am willing to question authority. That is how some people learn after all.
    This is gold. It's like looking into the past at myself as a beginner.

Listen tangler JNP is trying to help you skip past the "I'm a smart guy, let me outthink the instructor/technique" stage.

**** I used to think that guillotines were best for short armed people lol.

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 8:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skipping stages:
    I stopped reading books, stopped looking at youtube videos, stopped reading magazines and stopped over thinking. I've started listening closely to my instructors, doing what they say, drilling and asking questions. Oh, I also started tapping a lot of people out.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 9:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TANGLER!!!
    I'm reading your responses, in two different threads and you are worse than me at picking fights. The difference between us is I am not looking for or critiquing advice.

Ask your questions, STFU, stop LOOKING for an invisible insult and go train.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 6:55am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTriangle View Post
    Unless you train 6 days a week, 2 years is not enough time to be considered advanced.
    Not true. 2~3 days a week regularly for two years is enough to be advanced.

As for the OP, everything you need to know has been said. STFU Noob and train. Stick th that and you will be fine.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 8:56am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't come on the forum for a while and everyone is being really nice. What happened? Was there a memo?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gravity works the same whether you analyze it or not. Don't waste your time trying to think it out.

Go train instead and at some point it will all make sense.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast