Thread: Hey Everyone!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hey Everyone!

Hey guys,

Loving the site. learning alot of interesting things here.

Bit of background on me. I played with a few martial arts in my youth (Karate, Ninjitsu, Kung Fu) but nothing stuck. Found Thai Boxing in my early 20's and trained hard for a good couple of years 6 days a week. bit a grading or two. Left because life got in the way. That made me sad! :(

Recently a guy at my work got me into the grappling arts and I have fallen in love with BJJ. I currently only have the gracie combatives DVD's The Eddie Bravo Series (Mastering the Rubber Guard and The Twister DVD's) and any You tube videos I can find.

There is a BJJ school near me that is run by a student of Royce Gracie. Apparently Royce comes over every now and then to grade students but I have issues with the way they train.
    It appears that they have a little group of fighters who are local MMA champions and the rest are wannabe MMA fighters so training mostly consists of them trying to tear your limbs off and generally beaing on you. NOT the way it should be!

I head to a Shoot/freestyle wrestling school 30-40 miles away to roll with a friend. It would appear the DVD watching is working well as I can tap out the seasoned grapplers 9/10. :D More luck than judgment? Maybe, but I definaly hold my own! I know it's not about getting the submission all the time but currently its all I have.

I will be starting university in London soon so I will be close to some quality schools on a regular basis and will start the long journy to black belt and a reputable, well run dojo.

Have fun mocking my DVD watching! :D

Dave

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If DVD watching has you tapping out their students "nine times out of ten", you're either a prodigy, or that school doesn't have much to offer you. Certainly nothing worth driving forty minutes for.

Did you try out the Royce Gracie affiliate yourself, or are you making assumptions?

Either way, London should be full of good options, and I know there's a few people on the forums who could probably help you find a school there.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm definatly not a progigy! lol But it's fun to roll so I head over. :D It's always friendly and weather you tap them out or get tapped youself theres always smiles and handshakes and discussions about what happened and what else you could do. Like I say though, it's a stop gap until i can find a good BJJ school to train at.

The Local school is well known and I asked around. Not many good reports. I did go in and speak with them but the arrogance was ozzing off the guys I was talking to. A general "we rule and everyone else is ****. The school up the road is full of pussies who couldnt hack it with us" attitude put me off right off the bat. I'm looking for somewhere to learn not be used as a grappling dummy.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chilldog View Post
    I'm definatly not a progigy! lol But it's fun to roll so I head over. :D It's always friendly and weather you tap them out or get tapped youself theres always smiles and handshakes and discussions about what happened and what else you could do. Like I say though, it's a stop gap until i can find a good BJJ school to train at.

The Local school is well known and I asked around. Not many good reports. I did go in and speak with them but the arrogance was ozzing off the guys I was talking to. A general "we rule and everyone else is ****. The school up the road is full of pussies who couldnt hack it with us" attitude put me off right off the bat. I'm looking for somewhere to learn not be used as a grappling dummy.
    In short: you didn't train with them, so you've got no valid information about the way they train. Ten bucks says they won't "tear your limbs off" as stated in OP, if you fucking tap.

I feel that you went in with second hand information about the school, therefore biased, and were looking for a reason to say "hey, these guys are jerks". Pretty easy to find one when that's the case.

I still don't like the sound of this wrestling school where you can just walk in and tap the guys with no experience on the mat. I would take that as more of a bad sign than the BJJ guys having confidence in their abilities.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Prodigy or otherwise, Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the welcome slamdunc.