Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/23/2012 2:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dryer safe gi

Is this a thing? I never throw my gi in the dryer for fear that it will come out the perfect size for a newborn. But if I ever hope to train gi more than a couple times a week I need a gi that can dry faster than 3 days.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2012 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Is this a thing? I never throw my gi in the dryer for fear that it will come out the perfect size for a newborn. But if I ever hope to train gi more than a couple times a week I need a gi that can dry faster than 3 days.
    I gave up on that ****. I ended up buying a larger gi and shrinking the **** out of it. The jacket came out perfect and the pants I had to take 2" off the bottom and hemmed (tailor chrged 10 dollars) them up. Now I just wash and dry with no worries.

Posted On:
    8/23/2012 3:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many sizes up did you go?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2012 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many sizes up did you go?
    I believe in my case I went one size up.
    One thing that helped me was I checked out the loaner Gi's at the gym. Those things have been dried hundreds of times and are as small as they're going to get. That way I pretty much knew exactly how it was going to come out.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    8/23/2012 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Air dry it on a cycle with no heat (ie delicates), for a longer period of time (90-120m). Works like a charm. I did that in college, and it only cost me a few extra quarters a week.

Posted On:
    8/23/2012 3:46pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Invest in a second gi and alternate wearing while one dries.

Posted On:
    8/23/2012 3:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Atama goes into the dryer, it was one size larger than my ripstop one and it fits great.
    The ripstop gi gets the most mileage these days, it folds up really small and air dries in no time.
    I like it so much i'm going to buy a second one soon, even though i have three cotton ones already.

Posted On:
    8/23/2012 4:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Invest in a second gi and alternate wearing while one dries.
    I've done that already. It's only enough for 2 classes a week.

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 1:49pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then, third gi??? Or space out your classes differently? I need a full gi for two or three of my classes and two seems to be plenty for me. And in a good week, I'm doing five or six classes.

Of course, I've been at this awhile: I have two white judogis, two black judogis (don't judge me), two karategi, and assorted spare parts. No one said your third gi has to break the bank. Buy it cheap, and laugh along with your tormentors if they make fun of the brand. If you're able to train more because of it, you'll get the last laugh.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 3:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get more.

i have 4 judogi (well 5, including an old single weave i only use when i travel) and i train 5 days a week. i could probably get away with 3 of them, as they dry for me in 2 days (i have a good washer with a good spin cycle which gets a lot of the water out.)

alternately i bet some of those new-fangled ripstop gis dry fast if they are allowed in your dojo, but i wouldn't know for sure, since i wear a real man's gi that can stand on it's own and is so rough on my skin that after class it makes me look like i ran through a rosebush naked. at least i don't have to exfoliate or anything gay like that :P

i was looking at getting one of these for when i travel, as it would be nice to have one that could be washed out in a sink and hung to dry without taking 7 days to dry. http://www.budoexport.com/kimono-jud..._466-2221.html
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast