Sponsored Links Spacer Image

On hiatus

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 2:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Ok so is it a bad thing that I am feeling more entertained by this **** storm over the cancelation than I would have been had the fights taken place??
    Consider it prelims.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Ok so is it a bad thing that I am feeling more entertained by this **** storm over the cancelation than I would have been had the fights taken place??
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Consider it prelims.
    Thinking about this makes me wonder if this is a crafty plan to sacrifice a few and/or tens of millions today in order to make many tens or maybe a hundred/hundreds of millions tomorrow?

Mind you, no one truly knows what PPV's and the UFC pulls in, but think of all the press this has gotten the UFC, certain select fighters, and MMA as a whole. As you hear in Hollywood, even bad press is still press.

One example being (heard this on a radio show but couldn't find a link to collaborate) R. Kelly allegedly admitting to have made more money in the two years after his "video" controversy vs what he had made his entire career...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    Thinking about this makes me wonder if this is a crafty plan to sacrifice a few and/or tens of millions today in order to make many tens or maybe a hundred/hundreds of millions tomorrow?
    Eh. People speculated the same thing when Coke made the tragically hilarious decision to switch to a "New" flavor.

In my opinion, it's much more likely that this is just a big goatfuck rather than a conspiracy. In the real world, conniving masterminds are much less common than inept, impulsive people.

Sometimes a stupid clusterfuck is just a stupid clusterfuck.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 4:44pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Eh. People speculated the same thing when Coke made the tragically hilarious decision to switch to a "New" flavor.
    I've read that the issue was that they lost to Pepsi in taste tests so new Coke was supposed to taste more like Pepsi and it did, and it won taste tests, but the taste was a small cup and they preferred the sweeter one in a little swig, but not in larger amounts like you'd actually buy and consume.

In this instance, the UFC may learn that the fans prefer a full card of journeymen to cancellable shows that are all about one big-name fight. The marketing folks might be getting marketing info that says fans just want big-name fights, but when they really sit down and watch them, they don't just want the one fancy swig; they want half a dozen scrappy underdog fights if they're gonna pay their money and an evening of their time.

Of course, this could simply come down to your point there: this has clusterfuck written all over it. I think Dana just lost his cool and now he feels like he can't just change his mind and save face.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 7:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I've read that the issue was that they lost to Pepsi in taste tests so new Coke was supposed to taste more like Pepsi and it did, and it won taste tests, but the taste was a small cup and they preferred the sweeter one in a little swig, but not in larger amounts like you'd actually buy and consume.
    Yeah. I think it also had to do with a great number of people being invested in the product they grew up with (After all, not everyone in the country did the blindfold taste thing). I don't want to go on about this too much, though, because I think the fact that we actually had a "Cola War" to be culturally disgusting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 7:55am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    The source is a subscription based website quoted by multiple articles. So far, all but one of the articles I have read are being disingenuous. Yes, it appears to be true. No, they aren't telling the entire story.

What is it called? Oh yeah, a lie by omission.
    I briefly searched again this morning, and still couldn't find anything other than references to the Wrestling Observer article that no one can read without a subscription.

It's a shame that Dana White shuns publicity and rarely says what's on his mind -- I'd like to hear his first-hand account of the conversation with Jones.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 5:49am

Style: Ninjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm honestly surprised Henderson still fights at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 7:42pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigatron View Post
    And I'm honestly not surprised that a guy who studies ninjutsu would step into a thread and post things unrelated to the topic at hand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2012 9:24pm

Style: Parkour and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigatron View Post
    four fights in the last two years. All wins. His last loss was to Jake Shields; nothing to cry about.

How's your record?

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Randomly found this. Figured it was worth an update and didn't look posted previously (at least confirmed):

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30507/ufc-...ncellation.mma

"Dan Henderson knew two weeks before the fight," White said Tuesday on FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight." "Two weeks before he told me he was injured, he knew. Had he given me that two weeks like he should have, [UFC 151] might have happened. He's definitely to blame too."
    And some extra Greg Jackson love for those who want it:

Quote Originally Posted by Dana White
    "The Greg Jackson stuff this guy, this is my philosophy on trainers: You need a good trainer, a guy who's going to be there for you, a guy who can kind of keep you in line and keep you training and everything else," White said. "Trainers don't make fighters. Talented fighters make trainers. That's a fact. This guy is a businessman. First and foremost, before anything, this guy is a businessman. He's built a business.

"'We're a family. We're a family.' That's what he kept telling Rashad (Evans) and Jon so they wouldn't fight. I told Rashad and Jon, 'He's not your family. Greg Jackson is not your family member. If things go bad for you tomorrow, brother Greg isn't going to be there for you. Is he going to pay your bills? Is he going to take care of your real family? No, he's not.' And you saw when push came to shove, who did Greg Jackson pick? Who did he ultimately pick at the end? He picked Jon Jones, the guy he believed would be Rashad. That's a business. He's a businessman."