Our Sponsors:

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 20212223 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 3:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first thoughts when I heard this was, Dana picked up his ball and went home. Even after some gay comments by Jones, I'm pretty sure that's still the correct assessment.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    I gig. I do the damn gig. Different drummer, different genre than expected, different area of the venue, change in schedule, or set length, sore voice, pulled muscles, playing a different instrument, no ride home, shitty sound system, broken strings etc etc. Do the gig, bitch later. Don't let the people-who-are-to-be-entertained down.
    What's the deal with all these fighters hitting their opponents after they're unconscious? When I used to street fight back in highschool, I always stopped when I knew I had my man out.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm faulting him for not going through with the pay per view event, that was built on him defending his title. That's it. It's a paid gig, and he torpedoed it. Not cool.

I gig. I do the damn gig. Different drummer, different genre than expected, different area of the venue, change in schedule, or set length, sore voice, pulled muscles, playing a different instrument, no ride home, shitty sound system, broken strings etc etc. Do the gig, bitch later. Don't let the people-who-are-to-be-entertained down.

If after a 10 week camp, he wasn't ready for a less dangerous guy, that's f-ing sad.

The sport is changing, but to welcome that timidity is insane. He's supposed to be one of the best 2 or 3 fighters on the planet. I'm not feeling like that's championship spirit, dodging a guy who's not the fighter he is, when he wasn't injured or anything.
    Your analogy of doing the damn gig even when circumstances change is fine, Jones should have done the damn gig and bitched later about the late notice, lack of contingency plans, and Sonnen's undeserved title shot (if it was a title fight).

Now imagine that Jones' band is the band every musician wants to play in, and that his bandleader (I'm imagining Frank Zappa here, but that's just me) should theoretically have anyone in the musician's union at his disposal if the gig's circumstances are even fractionally amenable. Jones, the drummer - the best drummer in the world, but nonetheless, only the drummer - pulls out. Zappa, the ichi-ban uber bandleader, cancels the whole show in response. He could have gotten his lead percussionist to play the drumkit - not as well as Jones, but well enough to be serviceable - and done without the extra percussion. He chose not to exercise that option.

Who is responsible for torpedoing the gig, then?

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 5:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone yet even considered the people this truly hurts most, no not the fans, no not the fighters, the sponsors!! I mean **** how do you expect them to recover from the lost advertising?? Have a heart people.

Ok, but seriously I'm not going to lose even one second of sleep over this, if Dana, Jones, and Zuffa want to be a bunch of selfish pricks so be it. It just saves me $49.99 on my cable bill.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 5:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But when you do the gig, there's not really the chance that you'll be viciously beaten by a pro fighter and stripped of your belt and reputation, left wondering why you didn't just say no when you had a legit opportunity to do so. I think there's less of a gamble when you say you'll do a gig.

People who get to a certain amount of success can afford to, and sometimes have to, say no when someone asks them to do a job. 2 gigs at the same time in one night? Sorry buddy, but no.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 5:11pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    That's why he had the power to say no.
    Yep yep yep.
    A little dog barks, he gets a kick. A big dog barks, and he gets a bone. It's like how Vince McMahon wouldn't fire Stone Cold Steve Austin no matter how many times the Texas Rattlesnake beat the crap out of his boss, because Austin was a ratings draw and a merchandise seller. If someone like Henry O. Godwinn had tried those shenanigans, it would have been " The World Wrestling Federation wishes you the best in all your future endeavors" before you can say Jack Robinson.

On an unrelated note:
    Forget all this lame Jon Jones vs Vitor Belfort crap. You want to repay the fans for this debacle AND make Dyson Spheres of money?

UFC 152 Main Event:
    Dana White. Greg Jackson. Boxing Match.

:)

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 5:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Dana torpedo the gig, Jones torpedo one fight.
    True, but as a subcontractor, he eased out of it on a technicality. That impacts a lot of people. Dana and Chael can be douchebags, but they called it. If you're the headliner, do the damn gig. People are counting on you.
    Yes, but there are people who are in the upper echelon, not trying to be noticed, that do the exact opposite. They have walked off stage, canceled shows and bitched at the audience during a concert. Is it shitty? Sure. Still, Jones is at the top and just like certain people in your world they have a sense of stupid entitlement you apparently do not comprehend.
    I comprehend it, but I hate it simultaneously. If I'm throat scratchy, we transpose the songs down in key, I change the phrasing, and we do it anyway. My b-day show, and my gf's bd show at one of the good venues here, a few years back, Johnny D's I had a swolen jaw like half-bigfoot, and the other I had completely lost my voice for the only time in my adult life, and directed a series of sit-ins. We got it done. Unless someone's died, or is grievously ill, finish the show. Make it happen. People are waiting to be entertained, and everyone needs to get paid.
    No, I don't like it, but I don't have their level of success to dictate things the way they do.
    That's how people burn success up. Losing the plot, and believing what your ardent supporters will say, IMO kills drive. Even people at the top, should be looking up.

He should have said "Hendo's hurt, so I'll go kick Sonnen's ass, for being such a loudmouth, because the fans deserve a championship fight next Saturday. Some **** like that would have been stellar.

Instead: Nah, I'm scared to lose to this guy, who I myself said wasn't worthy of contention. I'd rather tuck my tail, and let all of you down.

****....that.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't see the video posted early (can't) but, what did Dan Henderson say about his injury? Specifically, when it happened, did he wait 3 weeks to let the UFC know? If so, I understand in that he was hoping he would be recovered enough to fight. That said, it would mean a lot of this rests on that decision.

The questions that don't appear to be answered yet, in the most chronological order I can come up with:

Dan Henderson

Did Dan Henderson inform the UFC at the time or, at least, a few days after the injury? After a week the injury occurred? 2-3 weeks after it occurred?

The UFC

Did the UFC find out about the injury right after it occurred? First reported to them by Dan Henderson? Did they have to inquire about it?

Other Light-Heavyweights

Did other potential replacements contenders find out about the injury and potential need for a replacement when the injury first happened or when it was first reported? How many rejected the option? How close/far away from the event was it when they found out relative to the time they rejected the fight?

Jon Jones

Did he find out when the injury happened? After the UFC was notified? After his management/him inquired about rumors? When another opponent was presented as a replacement?

Jones' Response Regarding Potential Replacements

How many potential replacements were present to Jone's camp? Was Sonnen the only one? Where others rejected prior to Sonnen?

Some of these questions may not get answered but it does provide a timeline as to what went out as well as a good way for all parties involved to avoid this kind of fascicle in the future. It can be used as a learning/thought exercise as it relates to dealing with injuries to major players on your fight cards as well as fighters understanding what can happen if you get injured and do not report it in an appropriate amount of time (even at the risk of losing your spot on the card) along with fighters understanding the backlash that can occur if you don't step up; for ALL fighters that declined.

Might make for an interesting MMA project.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 7:17pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, but as a subcontractor, he eased out of it on a technicality. That impacts a lot of people. Dana and Chael can be douchebags, but they called it. If you're the headliner, do the damn gig.
    Broken record. Headliners have walked away from gigs. Stop.
    drunk posting weird scenarios based on the same tired analogy
    --skipped--

Instead: Nah, I'm scared to lose to this guy, who I myself said wasn't worthy of contention. I'd rather tuck my tail, and let all of you down.

****....that.
    He let you down. Dana let EVERYONE down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 7:33pm

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I'm just jaded as a boxing fan, but a high-level fighters job isn't "take all random comers." His job is to fight the elite people who have earned a fight for what is essentially the world championship in MMA. Your pay-per-view cost goes down if he takes a shitty fight on short notice? How does it make him a MORE legit fighter if he takes a fight just for the easy payday? This is a promoter issue.
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 20212223 ... LastLast