Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 18192021 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 4:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally think the problem really lies with the UFC; the Fox deal came a year too early, and they shouldn't have dismantled Strikeforce as they did. This year, the quality of most cards was low; and last year, it wasn't as if their line-ups had been all too stellar to begin with in 2011. Five cards less this year, and we would have had MMA holidays every time there was an UFC. But as it is, your Saturday nights, and my Sunday mornings are usually better spent reading books by Edward Rutherford. (Who would have thought one could write the biography of a forest? Yay.)

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 9:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't like Jones' decision to refuse the fight with Sonnen, but let's not get confused about the demarcation of responsibilities here. Jones is responsible for whether he chooses to fight or not. Zuffa is responsible for putting the card together and deciding to cancel or proceed.

Statements like Bisping's tweet and J-Lau's blog post are interesting, but they're both current UFC fighters who probably can't afford to criticise their employer too much. What about an opinion from a well-credentialed fighter who has no interest in toeing Dana's line? And why in the entire half-hour press conference did no journalist ask why Zuffa put together a card banked entirely on two fighters, or what their contingency plans (other than to cut their losses and can the whole card) were in case Jones had, say, broken his hand that day in training? Does Dana black-ball journalists or something, or did they really not think to ask?

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 9:44pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going with the blackballing idea. I was blackballed when I tried to get a press pass to the Aussie UFC, the reason cited was that they "are very selective with whom [they] give [media passes] to".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 9:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I'm going with the blackballing idea. I was blackballed when I tried to get a press pass to the Aussie UFC, the reason cited was that they "are very selective with whom [they] give [media passes] to".
    Oh sorry about that, don't piss me off again.

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 1:14am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Oh sorry about that, don't piss me off again.
    If I had known she was your partner I would've pulled out, you were the one who decided to stay with her and raise my children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

:)

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 1:53am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thin cards are a problem, but that doesn't explain why, for the first time, an uninjured champion of theirs refused to fight.

Jones and camp had to be aware that that was a card built entirely on his fight. They must have had a sense of the odds that the UFC could put a different fight in there, to not have a shitty, underwhelming, brand-damaging PPV, on such short notice.

We're talking about one of the biggest stars in the sport, defending one of the most coveted and highly competitive belts on PPV, backed by millions worth of promo. One could argue every card should be co-headlined, to avoid this sort of thing, but the fact remains that it was the Jon Jones show, and he failed to handle biz.

I strained my voice Thurs (and pulled my shoulder), at a gig, and still came through on Friday's show, did two in two different states Saturday, and a boat cruise show today (Sun). The show must go on.

If the details of a gig change, roll with it. This guy wasn't even hurt. He was in absolute beast mode, 10 weeks deep into training, and wouldn't switch from Hendo, who knocked Fedor out, to a beefed up Middleweight he himself said wasn't worthy to compete for his belt not too long prior.

Weak!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 2:22am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think all the pressure of an event should ever fall onto one fight's shoulders. Like someone else said, what if Jon Jones were the one who got injured? This was terrible planning on the UFC's part.

That being said, really Jones? You wouldn't take a short notice fight against a guy who is essentially your previous opponent, but with less power in his hands? Thats a bitch move no matter how you spin it.

Yep, and this applies to ALL of the fighters, who "ducked" before he said no to Sonnen.
    I disagree if these people were close to title contention, especially with Shogun and Machida who are coming off recent fights. Its not like the UFC would say "sure, take this shot on short notice, and have another one if you don't win!" They have already lost to Jones before and if they blow their next title shots, won't be getting one again any time soon. They need to do everything they can in preparation for any shots they may get at Jones.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 2:31am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    Thin cards are a problem, but that doesn't explain why, for the first time, an uninjured champion of theirs refused to fight.
    He didn't refuse to fight. He refused a fighter. He was ready to fight a replacement, they went down a list, every fighter balked and when it came to Sonnen Jones said no.

To me, that's a completely different story. I mean I was fence sitting until that tidbit came out. I felt bad for the lower tier fighters, but now Ifind it ironic that there are a few OTHER fighters that could have "stepped up" and saved the show.

If the details of a gig change, roll with it.
    Your analogy fails because we all know about prima donna musicians and actors that don't "roll with it."

You are applying "ammy" logic to someone who made it to the top.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 3:21am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He didn't refuse to fight. He refused a fighter. He was ready to fight a replacement, they went down a list, every fighter balked and when it came to Sonnen Jones said no.

To me, that's a completely different story. I mean I was fence sitting until that tidbit came out. I felt bad for the lower tier fighters, but now Ifind it ironic that there are a few OTHER fighters that could have "stepped up" and saved the show.
    im not really sure what you could give someone to fight jones on a weeks notice, apart from a guaranteed one way trip to the hospital with a broken face afterwards. i mean, its fucking jon jones. on a weeks notice. the guy who has DESTROYED everyone he has fought, even WITH a 6/8 week training camp behind them. its hardly fair to say that THEY chickened at all.

Your analogy fails because we all know about prima donna musicians and actors that don't "roll with it."

You are applying "ammy" logic to someone who made it to the top.
    jones is totally within his rights to refuse a last minute replacement but tbh im kinda confused as to why he would refuse a fight against someone like Sonnen. hes pissed off a lot of people over a fight that, tbh, should be a walk in the park for him.

and yes, ufc stacking a whole card on one fight is fucking stupid and its their own fault they had to cancel it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 3:46am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    im not really sure what you could give someone to fight jones on a weeks notice, apart from a guaranteed one way trip to the hospital with a broken face afterwards. i mean, its fucking jon jones. on a weeks notice. the guy who has DESTROYED everyone he has fought, even WITH a 6/8 week training camp behind them. its hardly fair to say that THEY chickened at all.
    I said it's "ironic" not "chickened." Many people keep saying Jones should have "stepped up" to save the show and to stop thinking about himself. I'm saying that same argument applies to everyone who didn't "step up" to save the show. Chickening out is the furthest thing from my mind. He's the champ and unless you were desperate or needed to make a name **** no. Still, that's ironic as well considering some of the comments made by various fighters. At that point we fall into splitting hairs territory.
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 18192021 ... LastLast