--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cebu City FMA Recomendations

Whats up everyone,
    Im headed for Cebu City in 2 months and would really like to get your recomendations on where to train FMA at. I'll be there for at least 6 months, probly more like a year though. I want to base my apartment search arround the location of my gym as its one of the main reasons I'm heading out there.

I'll tell you all up front I have done absolutly no formal martial arts training before, though I have been in my share of scuffles in my wilder days. I'm a 25 yr old male American.

Also I should mention that I'll be operating on a somewhat tight budget while in the Phils so anything over say P5,000/mo (roughly $120 USD/mo) is out of the question, though it would be awesome if I could train at a quality gym with other westerners and filipinos for less.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doce Pares headquarters may be worth checking out.
    http://docepares.ph/content/contact-us

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also these guys produce legit fighters: http://www.facebook.com/pages/YAWYAN...U/344842554182

The original Yaw-Yan hybrid system did have a stickfighting element, but I'm not sure how much of that they do and how much is just MMA.

Style
    Delusion
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5000 pesos a month is a bad deal, man. Heck, I've got a monthly boxing gym membership for 1350 pesos.

There are also clubs where you can train for free just as long as you help with maintenance and donate every so often. Just ask around. These are usually in colleges but on the downside, they are also usually about the "art" side and preserving culture rather than competitive or practical fighting systems.

5000 pesos a month is HUGE. Maybe lower it to 3000 pesos. You'll probably get either a stick fighting turned into exercise in an upscale gym or a competitive man stank smelling stick fighting place for 3000 pesos..

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard that the Doce Pares gym is warry of guys who just walk in off the street and dont like to give them very much attention if any at all. Since I'm brand new to the martial arts world I'll probly need a little personalized attention to get the techniques down properly.

That YawYan system looks interesting, thats not one I was familliar with.

As far as stick fighting goes, to be honest thats the aspect of FMA I am least interested in, albeit the most previlant. Im more interested in hand to hand, hand to weapon, and knife/dagger. Reality combat type training and definetly more on the martial side than the arts side.

I plan on staying in the Philippines for a year or maybe a little more. What do you guys think would be better, If I were to train under one master the whole time I'm there and really get his style down to a T, or maybe split it up and do like 2 or 3 months at a gym and move on to another one trining under 4 or 5 differant masters durring the year and change that I'm there.

As far as pricing goes I had absolutly no idea what to expect so it being under P5k is great news! I'm definatly looking to go more local and authentic with my training and not interested at all in some upscale health spa kind of el crapo.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by renegaderats View Post
    I plan on staying in the Philippines for a year or maybe a little more. What do you guys think would be better, If I were to train under one master the whole time I'm there and really get his style down to a T, or maybe split it up and do like 2 or 3 months at a gym and move on to another one trining under 4 or 5 differant masters durring the year and change that I'm there.
    If you have no martial arts experience, one master should be able to give you more than enough stuff to work on for a year.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest, the basics you'd learn in a year should be relatively similar from one Master/School/Style to another anyway.

Just to be clear, I haven't personally trained at either of the places I recommended. My instructor speaks highly of the Doce Pares HQ (but then he'd have to, and he wasn't a noob when he trained there, so you may well be right about how they treat beginners)

Yaw-Yan ArDigma produces high level kickboxing and MMA competitors in promotions like URCC, but as I said, I'm not sure how much "FMA" has been retained in their MMA, I know they like some crazy-ass kicks.

Your best bet is probably to go and check out a few places in person (give the Aliveness FAQs on the site a read before you do) You don't want to pick somewhere that looks great on paper and end up stuck there if you don't like it.

Style
    Kickboxing/kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the yaw yan with mma is the hybrid yawyan which separated itself from the traditional yawyan. . . The founder of the hybrid yawyan i think trains fighters in the metro (cubao quezon city) but also have a gym in cebu. . .
    The traditional doesnt have grappling..