Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2012 4:44pm

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterNoob View Post
    Well, All I need is one more post. I currently reside in Ottawa, and I plan to start Shaolin with Mr. Kim Lee (Ottawa Chinese Martial arts association). The problem is, I will be leaving in about 12 months.
    I see no problem with doing Kung Fu for a year before you move. Just make sure you get a good school that spars well. I guess it's a plus if they have a good lineage, but getting a school that promotes combat skill is more important.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2012 6:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about shaolin but I do know there's a great mantis school in ottawa. I'll see if I can dig up a link.

Posted On:
    8/21/2012 7:09pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
    I don't know about shaolin but I do know there's a great mantis school in ottawa. I'll see if I can dig up a link.
    That would be http://wutancanada.com/main.html

There is also the Shaolin Kung Fu Centre

And the Ottawa Chinese Martial Arts Association

There's not a lot of CMA in Ottawa, frankly, unless you're interested in wing chun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2012 7:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've look into all three. The first link I emailed the guy inquiring about the prices. I actually do go to Carleton. But it's something like $80 for four months for a 1 hour class on Mondays. I would like something more regular. I also found on this forum regarding this teacher is that he stresses it's a introductory course. I would like something more often/full?

As for the second link, I find they are to commercial. Doesn't mean they aren't good, but I dislike large class sizes.

As for the third link, I'm going to try their class this Thursday hopefully. For sure in the beginning of September.

Thank you for your responses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2012 7:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chili Pepper, I've looked into this Siling Labuyo Arnis. Your dojo is right near my house! I'm just confused about what you offer exactly. I understand it's based on the Filipino Martial Arts system. But what's the difference between what you offer and something else since it doesn't have a curriculum?

Posted On:
    8/21/2012 9:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robdogg View Post
    I see no problem with doing Kung Fu for a year before you move. Just make sure you get a good school that spars well. I guess it's a plus if they have a good lineage, but getting a school that promotes combat skill is more important.
    Unless things have changed, Kiem Lee doesn't do any sparring in his classes.

Posted On:
    8/21/2012 10:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But what's the difference between what you offer and something else since it doesn't have a curriculum?
    The way I teach FMA is extremely unstructured, as compared to when I used to teach CMA, when there's an exact way to do everything and a proper order in which to do it.

As for curriculum, the class will consist of whatever the hell I feel like doing that night, depending on which students are there, what their mood is, and what we need to work on. There's no lesson plan, and the only structure is that things are made to dovetail into other things, which is a particular quirk of the Filipino systems.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2012 7:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm. Interesting. Isn't there some driving philosophy behind this modern arnis?

Posted On:
    8/22/2012 7:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm. Interesting. Isn't there some driving philosophy behind this modern arnis?
    I'd prefer not to hijack the thread into a discussion of FMA - feel free to PM me, or join one of the already existing Arnis threads.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2012 8:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't seem to message you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast