Page 1 of 75 1 23451151 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 6:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shou Shu; any redeeming factors?

the consensus among the site, with the exception of fanboys, seems to be that it's a bunch of bullshit.

however, i'm curious if there are any redeeming factors to it. i took it a while back, and enjoyed it, and thought it made me a veritable badass at the time.

fast forward a few years, it's not quite the case anymore. i've learned a lot more practical things over the years just by messing around with friends, however, i feel like there are some elements that still come out in the wash, so to speak. mostly, it's the win-by-any-means-necessary attitude, but certain blocking and striking habits still exist.

i just want to know if there was anything redeeming or fundamentally good about what i learned, or if i should just forget about it, mourn the wasted time, and then go jump into a BJJ and Judo class like everyone else seems to be doing these days.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 7:42am

Style: G-safe Krav Maga / TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayneveres View Post
    forget about it, mourn the wasted time, and then go jump into a BJJ and Judo class like everyone else seems to be doing these days.
    Dont know **** about Shou Shu but I'm pretty sure this is going to be the answer you will get.

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 12:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    San Shou/San Da is fucking awesome. You just have to find a good school.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 12:27pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli View Post
    San Shou/San Da is fucking awesome. You just have to find a good school.
    Good post wrong thread.

Shou Shu is an art that people have suddenly been asking about over the last few months again.

He didn't misspell SanShou.

the consensus among the site, with the exception of fanboys, seems to be that it's a bunch of bullshit.

however, i'm curious if there are any redeeming factors to it. i took it a while back, and enjoyed it, and thought it made me a veritable badass at the time.

fast forward a few years, it's not quite the case anymore. i've learned a lot more practical things over the years just by messing around with friends, however, i feel like there are some elements that still come out in the wash, so to speak. mostly, it's the win-by-any-means-necessary attitude, but certain blocking and striking habits still exist.

i just want to know if there was anything redeeming or fundamentally good about what i learned, or if i should just forget about it, mourn the wasted time, and then go jump into a BJJ and Judo class like everyone else seems to be doing these days.
    Read that aloud and realize how silly it sounds.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, you're probably a little better than the average person at kicking someone in the groin.

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 8:49pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the last time a practitioner of Shou Shu wandered into this site he produced a brief moment of entertainment for the forum considering he quickly went from "We don't fight with rules in Shou Shu" to "C'mon guys, I know I talked about having no rules in fighting but there is still a line!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Posted On:
    3/06/2011 3:27am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
    Well, the last time a practitioner of Shou Shu wandered into this site he produced a brief moment of entertainment for the forum considering he quickly went from "We don't fight with rules in Shou Shu" to "C'mon guys, I know I talked about having no rules in fighting but there is still a line!"
    that's hilarious.

all i'm really trying to do is get back in to MA, and find a good way to do that so i stand less of a chance of getting my head kicked in.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    3/06/2011 8:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
    Was that the kid who claimed he could beat off 20 guys at the same time - then told people to come fight his sifu?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    3/06/2011 10:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's hilarious.
    from this:
    i feel like there are some elements that still come out in the wash
    what is it that keeps coming out in the wash? what fundamentals? how long did you train this?

all i'm really trying to do is get back in to MA
    if you tell us what you keep falling back on, it will help determine what you like (or it might simply be what you learned).
    Also, what is available to you in the area?

and find a good way to do that so i stand less of a chance of getting my head kicked in.
    Don't get into fights, don't be an ass and always be polite.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/06/2011 10:26am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've met one guy who did Shou Shu and was a professional fighter with a half decent fight record. So *shrug....He was also a GJJ blue.
Page 1 of 75 1 23451151 ... LastLast