Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 11:26am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started my daughter in Kung Fu right after she turned four. Of course she asked me when I would start teaching her. I started teaching her Judo at the age of 8. Every child is different. Like I said, I've started them as young as 2 years 10 months, then I've had 7 year old kids that weren't ready.

If that's the class structure I think that there's simply a separation anxiety. In some cases, I just have the parents leave and the kid just comes into class on their own.

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 11:36am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't push him, he is still very young. Find something he does want to do, at that age all that matters is that it be active and that he's having fun.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone digs Judo, but you might also check out other schools that for one reason or another might work better - the dojo I joined in Pahoa has little ones that go for it sparring. So cute - midgets with head gear can be so intense! Most any kid would fit in the Pahoa school a, frankly, loving environment - Prof is straightforward and clear mostly, and the kids and families trust him. Not that **** doesn't happen, however, the base line feels good - and they put on 6 week greco-roman grappling series this summer, not bad for ke?po).

I was lucky to be in a summer camp, around age 7, that part of the day included tumbling. We were taught forward rolls. It was a fun (gal teaching must have been good - we were relaxed and not scared at all; great activity) and I had an advantage in mas of having wired them young.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 12:36pm

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started judo when I was 5. It was great, when we did randori it was WAR. Nobody dared mess with me in school even though I wasn't strongly built. No real technique before you're +- 10, but it's good physical exercise.

There's no guarantee he'll keep it up though, I stopped when I was 13 'cause smoking joints and being generally nihilistic seemed more interesting - and everyone knows judo doesn't work in the street.. Still punching myself for that.

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 1:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is 'tumble class' American for gymnastics, because if it is then that is absolutely what you must do.

Then you can take him to Judo when he's 10-12.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 1:31pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nööb

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell him he won't get anything for Christmas if he doesn't do it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 1:45pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Is 'tumble class' American for gymnastics, because if it is then that is absolutely what you must do.

Then you can take him to Judo when he's 10-12.
    Introduction into gymnastics. Mostly rolling like somersaults.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 4:11pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    8? 10? 12?

Thats a load of crap! kids can start from 5 in my club. but yeah gymnatics is good.

What you need to do is let him make some friends there.

take him down explain to the instructor that he is nervous and a newbie and watch and support from the sidelines.

we have many parents shouting things like "thats right! get on top!" from the chairs and they sit and drink coffee with the other parents.

the problem is that wrestling feels a lot like bullying when your not very good at it so just reinforce the positives of the lesson and explain that while it might have felt like he wasnt winning he was still learning.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 4:22pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't push. I would really like my kids to train BJJ, Judo or wrestling but they've shown little to no interest despite the fact that they've been exposed to it and gently encouraged. So I've just backed off. They're still both under 10. I don't want to make it something they view as a chore. If they decide they want to train I'll be happy. If not, oh well. They wouldn't learn much anyway if they hated it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 4:28pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollykate View Post
    8? 10? 12?

Thats a load of crap! kids can start from 5 in my club. but yeah gymnatics is good.

What you need to do is let him make some friends there.

take him down explain to the instructor that he is nervous and a newbie and watch and support from the sidelines.

we have many parents shouting things like "thats right! get on top!" from the chairs and they sit and drink coffee with the other parents.

the problem is that wrestling feels a lot like bullying when your not very good at it so just reinforce the positives of the lesson and explain that while it might have felt like he wasnt winning he was still learning.

Try reading comprehension.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast