Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Low-trama MA to work Agility and Flexibilty

Hi, new to the forums and looking for advice on MA choice. I'm looking for something that will help me work on agility, speed, balance and flexibility, yet keep my joints and internal organs from becoming mashed potatoes; also, no head strikes at all, I've hit my head a few times too many in other sports. I'm more interested in standing, strike or weapon based, then grappling.

For a bit of background on me I'm 24 and keep in shape through body-weight training and various sports, but feel rigged and sluggish in my movements and reaction times despite having an athletic build.

I would love to hear your recommendations as I always wanted to try MA but kept putting it of till now.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to bullshido! You've got many options for MA that fit your criteria. But first, where are you located? A city and state might be a good start, hell;give us a country. The members here are everywhere and if we know where you are we can name specific schools for you to check out.

FMA might be what you are interested in. I think FMA is one of the few arts you can get away with non live drills and still retain a fair amount of practical ability. For any weapons based art I feel there is a threshold where you can do a lot of solo drilling and gain a certain level of prowess compared to the untrained public. Of course eventually I feel you should get into live sparring regularly but in FMA there is a lot to do before you get into that. Soon enough I'll probably start a thread about dead drills in FMA w/ weapons compared to live training. IN the mean time look into FMA and see if thats what you might like.

Style
    Humbleness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Striking with no headshots?
    You could try Kyokushin and keep it easy you know
    Not getting into the full-contact sparrings
    You would have leg kicks, knees and body punches

Pankration is other good choice as they have no head strikies at all but they do have grappling (is like MMA in many aspects)

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo meets all of your requirements except that it can potentially be rough on those body parts you're so overly protective of. Pantywaist.

Getting speed or agility from most weapons based arts is unlikely. Flexibility is also questionable.

Not getting hit in the head in a striking art is unheard of. As stated above, best bet would be Kyokushin karate, and asking them to pretty please with sugar on top not kick you in the dome.

Damn. If only grappling weren't so queer. I don't know what to say... Bartitsu?

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeIRT View Post
    Hi, new to the forums and looking for advice on MA choice. I'm looking for something that will help me work on agility, speed, balance and flexibility, yet keep my joints and internal organs from becoming mashed potatoes; also, no head strikes at all, I've hit my head a few times too many in other sports. I'm more interested in standing, strike or weapon based, then grappling.

For a bit of background on me I'm 24 and keep in shape through body-weight training and various sports, but feel rigged and sluggish in my movements and reaction times despite having an athletic build.

I would love to hear your recommendations as I always wanted to try MA but kept putting it of till now.
    Based on your criteria and if you've got healthy knees, Capoeira or Wushu might be worth considering, seeing as you don't list fighting ability as a priority.

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Like Water View Post

Damn. If only grappling weren't so queer. I don't know what to say... Bartitsu?
    Bartutsu is a fine thing to say when you don't know what else to say (like "supercalifragilisticexpialadochous") but it's worth noting that it includes grappling, boxing and stick fighting, trained live, so might not be the OP's cup of tea.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai chi? Baugua? Hsing I?

They could help, maybe.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based on what your looking for I recommend Dance - in particular

Last edited by goodlun; 9/01/2012 2:54pm at . Reason: too add 2nd video

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Bartutsu is a fine thing to say when you don't know what else to say (like "supercalifragilisticexpialadochous") but it's worth noting that it includes grappling, boxing and stick fighting, trained live, so might not be the OP's cup of tea.
    I just remembered head protection being worn during the stick fighting portion of a video I'd seen, and that made me think Bartitsu could slide by. Guess I forgot about the boxing. And dammit if that post doesn't (once more) have me wishing I could train Bartitsu, DdlR.

All things considered, Capo or ballet would definitely have been a better answer.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys for replies, definitely going to check out Capoeira as it seem to focus on exactly what I need most: speed, flexibility, balance, coordination, and constant movement which should help my sluggishness. I also want to try and cross-train it with some of the basic techniques from other MAs, nothing fancy just fundamental moves, so something like Pankration looks interesting.

I'm in Los Angeles, do you guys know any good places for Capoeira or Pankration around there? If there isn't anything for Pankration, would it be a good idea to pick up some basics from an MMA gym/school?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last