Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rabbiting on 'conceptually' without teaching actual skills is probably the worst possible way to run a first class in anything.

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    One takedown, one pass, one submission.
    Pass what? They don't know guard yet.

Personally I would show guard, one pass to side control and have them try it out on each other (under supervision!!). Explaining along the way how they can avoid 'spazzing out' or relying too much on strength rather than working the technique. I only show a submission if the students aren't trying to rush themselves as often everything else they have been shown goes out the window as they try to crank someone's arm for 5 mins.

This should give them a 'feel' for the sport eg. a feel for the need to have a good base etc and what it actually feels like to train, particularly if they have no experience of sparring and a foundation to move on to principles other people have mentioned such as positional hierarchy.

BUT this is only my preference...
    Last edited by Grey Owl; 8/21/2012 11:06am at . Reason: typing finger fail

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends really on what you hope your newbies want to get out of it. If it is just to get them interested, how about a few self defence cross over moves, grip breaks, headlock escapes etc.... Everyone knows what a headlock is for example.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd go with basics of closed guard top: posture, hand placement and how to open the guard and get to combat base. Posture, posture, posture.

Then, I'd teach them a simple guard pass, typically a knee slide to either side.

Class number two would be an armbar from guard, and how to defend the armbar from guard.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Teaching closed guard posture is fairly pointless until their training partners have a guard game, it will just be people mindlessly clinging to each other until they get frustrated and sweep themselves.

Start with escaping the mount, that way you can meaningfully situation spar it straight away.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    The oompah? LOL, do you mean upa?
    You serious? I googled that **** and corrected my original shot at it based on the results, too.

Alright, the m was probably my doing, but still.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Explain how to tap, verbally, with the hands or feet etc. You'd be surprised how often this gets overlooked.

2. A brief overview of positional hierarchy.

3. Tips on holding the mount or side control position.

4. Teach them the elbow escape. After drilling for at least 30 minutes, let them do some situational sparring. Get out of mount or side control using the elbow escape.

5. If there's still time, teach them the hip bump sweep. More situational sparring, top guy tries not to get swept. No passing yet.

Edit: Forgot to add that you have now taught them a few fundamental techniques that also have self defense applications.

Most MA schools teach flashy offensive techniques the first lesson to entice potential students to stay. I always tell mine that I just taught them how to escape a "**** hits the fan" situation.
    Last edited by jnp; 8/22/2012 7:36pm at .
    Shut the hell up and train.

Page 2 of 2 First 12