Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 6:55pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen plenty of leg takedowns done after ducking under a wide punch, or a closed-fist ear slap, if you will.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 9:50pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    If you go for the ear slap and it doesn't work do you still have time to sprawl or use any of your other techniques?
    Yup, and wizzers and cross faces, and....

Posted On:
    8/21/2012 1:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Yup, and wizzers and cross faces, and....
    Sounds like a good video to me...

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2012 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Ponder less and train more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    There may be necessity for a sticky to which n00bs can be directed on this topic. Every so often (far too often) somebody, who has never had to deal with an actual takedown-attempt, asks why "just stepping aside/kneeing/chopping the shoulders/whatever" wouldn't deal with takedowns. How much bandwidth do we need to waste? A takedown-defense sticky may reduce the waste.
    I think he's probably a troll. But I'm willing to bullshit away with the choir and to give him the benefit of doubt and of my long experience. Ear slaps are more suited to self-defense response to a grab or frontal assault of some kind. Like a eye poke, finger up the nose, hair pull, screaming "He's not my daddy!" and many other techniques, they may be somewhat effective in self-defense, but not to shoots. Go train. I did once see a cage fight where the shooter got a double knife hand strike to the neck and was KO'd. Once.

I trained several hours on sprawling and got OK at it and it surprised me how quickly the technique became effective. On the other hand, you can train karate a couple decades and learn to front snap the shooter's lead leg as he comes in. That works for me sometimes, but several hours learning sprawling and using it rolling right away, or decades nailing down a somewhat low percentage technique, the choice is yours.

Go train.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2012 11:11am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained several hours on sprawling and got OK at it and it surprised me how quickly the technique became effective. On the other hand, you can train karate a couple decades and learn to front snap the shooter's lead leg as he comes in. That works for me sometimes, but several hours learning sprawling and using it rolling right away, or decades nailing down a somewhat low percentage technique, the choice is yours.
    This.
    And yes..go train.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2012 5:29pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, I don't care if it's martial arts, a new language, or a technique to please your lady, you're not going to be be anything other than horrible at it of your only "experience" is advice (as great as some of it is) from an Internet forum. Look to the "STFU and Train" sticky. Not all of us started MA because we got sick and tired of wedgies at the office. It's a hell of a lot of fun and a great way to stay in shape. Also, depending on the MA, a good way to work on takedown defense. You seem to have an interest, so go for it. Otherwise, practice exercising caution and working on your running game. There is no quick fix, so enjoy it.

Good luck

Posted On:
    8/22/2012 8:43pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Sprawl first, then try whatever crazy **** you want to try.

I seriously doubt you'd be able to co-ordinate an ear slap against a properly ballistic double-leg.
    If you're sprawling you already screwed up on your TDD. Gripfighting, head control, distance management, and your own head placement are what keeps you from getting down. A sprawl is what you do when you've already fucked up and they're under your hips.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/22/2012 9:17pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    If you're sprawling you already screwed up on your TDD. Gripfighting, head control, distance management, and your own head placement are what keeps you from getting down. A sprawl is what you do when you've already fucked up and they're under the level of your hips.
    Note the adjustment.

Your statement is technically incorrect in the horizontal plane (parallel to the floor) and correct in the vertical plane (up and down). X and Y plane explanation was for non native English speakers. Please do not take it personally.

The time to prepare to sprawl is when my opponent changes levels in the vertical plane, i.e. bends at the knees, not after he has gotten close to your immediate proximity in a double or single leg take down attempt.

A really good sprawl always involves throwing your self backwards in the horizontal plane. In this manner, the back of your forearms should meet your partner's shoulders. If you're parallel to the ground in mid sprawl like you should be, you're stretched out and your hips are pretty far away from him. You should be in a position to almost (not quite though) perform a snapdown take down on your partner when this technique is properly applied.

If you try to sprawl once your partner is underneath you in the horizontal plane, it is already too late. To reiterate, partner drops at the knees to change level and his hips are underneath you relative to the vertical plane, but he isn't underneath your immediate physical space, your statement is true. The same can not be said if your partner is physically underneath the ground under your feet.

I hope some of that makes sense.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    8/22/2012 10:08pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JNP, your wrestling experience obviously trumps mine, and my perspective is obviously tilted since the two people whom i've absorbed the most wrestling from (My dad and Kamal) are both Greco guys. I think my general point is that if someone wants good takedown defense, and all they work on is their sprawl.....they will have bad takedown defense. If you aren't dealing with tie-ups, head control, getting your whizzers/underhooks/collargrips(if available), then you are offering up near-infinite chances to shoot, no?

If we're starting off in a jacket, and my opponent concedes the grip fight to me, his ability to change levels is severely impaired, if i have a deep underhook, he even more so? I guess all of which is a long-winded way that I think conceiving of takedown defense and sprawling as being co-extensive is counter-productive.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/23/2012 4:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was agreeing with all that, but adding that if you sprawl when your opponent is already underneath you then you're likely conceding the takedown
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast