Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 7:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My guess is if you find youself street fighting a wrestler it doesn't realy matter what you do, you are going down and you are truely fucked
    True.

It's better because you don't lift a leg up theby giving away your base and you can use it to create a structural barrier impeding their head and neck and in doing so forcing them away from your legs and center of mass.
    What about a palm heel strike instead? Wouldn't that have greater range?

So Newbloke.

Why are you not training in anything?
    Because I don't work in a dangerous environment where I would ever be likely to need martial arts.

If you let a wrestler get in close enough to where it is even possible to slap an ear its too late you are already on your way down
    Yeah, I gathered that. That's why I'm asking about preventative measures like a knee to the face or, as someone suggested, a forearm to the jaw.

I would change the topic name if it were possible.

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 8:02am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should go and train a little bit in wrestling or Bjj, get someone to shoot on you and i think you will understand.
    Even this looks possible if you never saw a bull charging you.
    By the way im pretty sure this will work against a wrestler too, but probably best to stick to the sprawl.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 8:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    You should go and train a little bit in wrestling or Bjj, get someone to shoot on you and i think you will understand.
    Even this looks possible if you never saw a bull charging you.
    By the way im pretty sure this will work against a wrestler too, but probably best to stick to the sprawl.
    I can't watch the video, but if it depicts people jumping over bulls, then that's definitely possible. You just need to have good timing and be good at acrobatics.

If you develop good timing, you could make any technique work, right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 8:47am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponderer View Post
    If you develop good timing, you could make any technique work, right?
    For a broad definition of "any".

To be honest, if you are really serious about learning to defend the takedown you need to go and find somewhere to train. 6 months COMMITTED TRAINING of Judo, BJJ or Wrestling at a good school should should prepare you to deal with your generic street/bar idiot tackle.

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 8:50am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again if you never trained it makes everything too theoretical for my taste, this isn't philosophy, this is sports. I don't know why you are interested in take down defense when you can't block or throw a punch. For your lest post about timing and any technique to work, in short "NO", there are other key elements like speed, power aggressiveness etc.
    Are you interested in training? how old are you?

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 9:08am

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone here actually used an earslap as defense? Me and my friends used to do it to each other in school while fucking around. We didn't really go full force but we went hard enough. I just don't see an ear slap stopping an attacker dead set on hurting you in his tracks. Sure it might hurt or be a little disorienting but nothing a little rage won't overcome. Same goes for eardrum ruptures his eardrums might be busted but that's not gonna do much if this guy wants to **** you up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 9:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Again if you never trained it makes everything too theoretical for my taste, this isn't philosophy, this is sports. I don't know why you are interested in take down defense when you can't block or throw a punch. For your lest post about timing and any technique to work, in short "NO", there are other key elements like speed, power aggressiveness etc.
    Are you interested in training? how old are you?
    I'm only interested in training if it's something that doesn't require much time. Like I said, I'm not working in a profession where violence is likely. I don't want to be spending 20 hours a week in a dojo preparing for something that might never happen.

To be honest, if you are really serious about learning to defend the takedown you need to go and find somewhere to train. 6 months COMMITTED TRAINING of Judo, BJJ or Wrestling at a good school should should prepare you to deal with your generic street/bar idiot tackle.
    So you are basically saying that it's impossible to get anywhere without committed training.

What you are saying makes perfect sense, but I guess I was just too misguided by the promises of a quick way of getting good simply by reading manuals, watching videos and imagining fighting opponents.

Like I said I can't spare the commitment to practice full-time, I have other things to do.

So as I understand it, you are saying that talking about martial arts techniques is useless without full-commitment training.

I understand it. What I'm doing isn't even "swimming on dry land", it's a person talking about swimming without having swum once in his life. How can a person get any good at swimming if all he does is imagine swimming in his head? I'll stop now if that's the case.
    Last edited by Ponderer; 8/19/2012 9:13am at .

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 9:55am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponderer View Post
    I'm only interested in training if it's something that doesn't require much time. Like I said, I'm not working in a profession where violence is likely. I don't want to be spending 20 hours a week in a dojo preparing for something that might never happen.

So you are basically saying that it's impossible to get anywhere without committed training.

What you are saying makes perfect sense, but I guess I was just too misguided by the promises of a quick way of getting good simply by reading manuals, watching videos and imagining fighting opponents.

Like I said I can't spare the commitment to practice full-time, I have other things to do.

So as I understand it, you are saying that talking about martial arts techniques is useless without full-commitment training.

I understand it. What I'm doing isn't even "swimming on dry land", it's a person talking about swimming without having swum once in his life. How can a person get any good at swimming if all he does is imagine swimming in his head? I'll stop now if that's the case.
    Than train because it's fun, and you're obviously interested in it. There are lots more reasons to train aside from the deadly streets and bars of where ever you think they exist.

Training is a great way to get and stay in shape, meet great new people, develop skills that could protect and/or make you look like a total badass in front of your significant other, and it's an awesome healthy hobby.
    Last edited by M-Tri; 8/19/2012 9:59am at .
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 9:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look motherfuckers, there have been numerous studies done on this ****. And the consensus has been this: first sprawl, then brawl.

The ear slap is a devastating technique, if Paul Vunak is to be believed. I have serious doubts about that ****, although one time in High School a ************ got slapped in the head and walked around screaming "Oh my god, my ears drum is bursted!". I couldn't decide if it was the disorientation that fucked up his grammar or he just decided not to bother going to English class for 4 or so years.

What's the word on the ear slap's effectiveness when a ************ is not taking you down, or when you've stopped a ************ from taking you down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 10:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    Look motherfuckers, there have been numerous studies done on this ****. And the consensus has been this: first sprawl, then brawl.

The ear slap is a devastating technique, if Paul Vunak is to be believed. I have serious doubts about that ****, although one time in High School a ************ got slapped in the head and walked around screaming "Oh my god, my ears drum is bursted!". I couldn't decide if it was the disorientation that fucked up his grammar or he just decided not to bother going to English class for 4 or so years.

What's the word on the ear slap's effectiveness when a ************ is not taking you down, or when you've stopped a ************ from taking you down.
    Alright yeah, that seems more logical now that I think about it.

So, from what I gather

Likelihood of a sprawl succeeding against a takedown: 99.9%

Likelihood of a knee succeeding against a takedown: 5%

Something like that?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast