Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    23
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponderer View Post
    But kneeing has a greater potential for ending the fight than sprawling, doesn't it?
    Doesn't it just mean that we should practice kneeing until we can use it as proficiently as Silva?
    No. It means you should practice the high percentage takedown defence more so when you face someone who has a gold shoot youhave a chance of stopping it.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
    No. It means you should practice the high percentage takedown defence more so when you face someone who has a gold shoot youhave a chance of stopping it.
    Wouldn't you end up on the ground after sprawling anyway?

  3. #13
    Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,185
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hold up here a second.

    I think we need a bit more context for this question.

    Ponderer, a couple of questions if you don't mind.

    1) What style, if any, do you currently practice?
    2) What context would you like to defend takedowns in? Are we talking about a competition setting or the d34dly str33tz?

  4. #14
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,728
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponderer View Post
    Wouldn't you end up on the ground after sprawling anyway?
    Depends. If you sprawl really well you can end up on top. Which is good.

    Kneeing you give up your base. Which means if the person doesn't die you wind up on your back being punched and looking silly.

    If you wanted a ninja strike for takedown defence forearm strike the jaw. Which is sorta what you do anyway when you sprawl.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Hold up here a second.

    I think we need a bit more context for this question.

    Ponderer, a couple of questions if you don't mind.

    1) What style, if any, do you currently practice?
    2) What context would you like to defend takedowns in? Are we talking about a competition setting or the d34dly str33tz?
    1. I'm completely untrained and don't practice any martial arts whatsoever.

    2. Real life context. Maybe not necessarily on the street, maybe in a pub or something. Basically anything outside of a sport/competition context.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Depends. If you sprawl really well you can end up on top. Which is good.

    Kneeing you give up your base. Which means if the person doesn't die you wind up on your back being punched and looking silly.

    If you wanted a ninja strike for takedown defence forearm strike the jaw. Which is sorta what you do anyway when you sprawl.
    Would a forearm strike to the jaw even be possible when someone begins to do a takedown? And why would it be better than a knee?

    EDIT: sorry for double posting, can I merge two posts?

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wesht Cark
    Posts
    1,575
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponderer View Post
    1. I'm completely untrained and don't practice any martial arts whatsoever.

    2. Real life context. Maybe not necessarily on the street, maybe in a pub or something. Basically anything outside of a sport/competition context.
    My guess is if you find youself street fighting a wrestler it doesn't realy matter what you do, you are going down and you are truely fucked

    *edit* Go learn judo

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    23
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponderer View Post
    Would a forearm strike to the jaw even be possible when someone begins to do a takedown? And why would it be better than a knee?

    EDIT: sorry for double posting, can I merge two posts?
    It's better because you don't lift a leg up theby giving away your base and you can use it to create a structural barrier impeding their head and neck and in doing so forcing them away from your legs and center of mass.

  9. #19
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,728
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponderer View Post
    1. I'm completely untrained and don't practice any martial arts whatsoever.

    2. Real life context. Maybe not necessarily on the street, maybe in a pub or something. Basically anything outside of a sport/competition context.
    So Newbloke.

    Why are you not training in anything?
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  10. #20
    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it Join us... or die
    Goju - Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,857
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you let a wrestler get in close enough to where it is even possible to slap an ear its too late you are already on your way down

Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO