Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 8:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training at two BJJ gyms at the same time?

Cause we need another "just talk to your coaches thread".

Basically the deal is I am moving to a different part of San Diego county Ramona to be exact for those who know the area.

This will put me rather far away from the gym that I currently train at well until the beginning of next year when they open up their north county gym.

No problem right, cause Ramona totally has a BJJ gym
    http://www.ramonamma.com/
    Yep, problem they don't do morning classes and I work at night. Well I do have Tuesday nights off so I can totally train their for the one night a week.

Now I currently train 4-6 times a week going and have no desire to go down to only once a week.

So I figure I can man the **** up and drive down to Point Loma (46 miles) for the afternoon classes but on Tuesday night going the you know 2 miles would be a lot nicer.

Ok so that is the story, here are the questions

Has anyone here done this sort of thing? What sort of problems have you ran into? Am I setting myself up for drama or everything should be cool with no issues what so ever?

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 8:45pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You haz no other good MA in the are?

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 8:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    You haz no other good MA in the are?
    Well there is always this
    http://www.ramonamartialarts.com/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_1200_DSCN2299.JPG.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	13615
    and probably 30 other high quality BJJ schools in between the two.
    But I actually really do like the guys I currently train with.
    They are chill and I mean chill, none of the bullshit all the fun.
    I will actually try and pick up Judo at Judo America on Monday nights if I can get an agreeable price (IE I am not paying the full rate to train one night a week).

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 9:07pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started a thread on this about kickboxing titled "Etiquette." The main response was talk to your coach...
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 9:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I think that if you are starting in two different gyms at the same time it should just be a matter of informing them of what you are doing when you start.

Only problems I have seen is when people are established at a gym and start "two timing" at another gym and are not up front about it.

If you don't mind me asking, what part of town do you work in and what shift are you working? Like 9pm to 6am or something?

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 11:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post
    Well I think that if you are starting in two different gyms at the same time it should just be a matter of informing them of what you are doing when you start.
    Yep pretty much my plan I already talked to one of the instructors where I train now and he doesn't see any issue with it. But I am curious if other people have done it and if anything came up and the what not.

Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what part of town do you work in and what shift are you working? Like 9pm to 6am or something?
    I work:
    Wed-Sun
    6:00PM - Midnight (well really till I get home or midnight which ever is later)
    I start work from home but I could in theory start my shift anywhere in San Diego County as long as I have my stuff with me.
    I drive all over the county and sometimes Temecula, no one has any idea of knowing where I will end up going over the course of the night as I handle issues as they come up. I can bounce from San Ysidro to Fallbrook and back to Chula Vista then back to Oceanside in the course of a night easily.
    Like to night
    at sat at home till 7:00PM got my first call went to Mira Mesa while in Mira Mesa got a call for Chula Vista ran call in Chula Vista no new calls have come in so I am back home. At any moment my phone can ring and then back on the road again.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 11:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well now I see your dillema.

Are you thinking of judo one day a week and then one day a week at the place in Ramona?

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 11:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah the Judo Place is Mon Wed Fri, mostly because my Daughter 6(will be 7) and Wife both like Judo a lot more then BJJ and if I am up there I may as well just do the Judo I like Judo America I have trained with them before the cool thing is they do the womens class at the same time as the kids class.
    Normally I take them to Judo Mon and Tuesday night to http://www.migoto-judo.org/
    then just head over to the BJJ place as they are walking distance from each other.
    Oh and to make things more complicated my wife doesn't drive.

Posted On:
    8/18/2012 12:04am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should mention I really, and I mean really love the place I currently train.

The Point Loma location literally(as in not figuratively) people that live in the gym.
    Its a competition focused gym so no self defense BS, however you don't have to be a competitor to feel welcome but you will be learning competition focused BJJ.
    The place feels more like a club that your paying dues on then a buisness everyone is very friendly and helpful.
    No belt test, fees, or any of that stuff, no required patches, not required to have their gi, rash guard, shorts or any thing like that.
    Between the two and soon to be 3 gyms lots of available classes and you can find one on every day of the week.
    This also has lead to pretty small class sizes since even the serious competitor has a lot of options on win to go train.
    I have had more then a few free private to semi-private lesson just by being the only one who has shown up for that time slot.
    Yet they just got done with a fund raiser to send something like 50 competitors to the next competition. So you have enough different guys to work with as they cycle through the different classes that they can make.
    No bowing in, very rarely even bowing out.

so I am willing to drive but at ~8 worth of diesel (once I get my TDI back from the body shop) lets not even talk about the cost of going in the S4 (yeah it gets like 15-18mpg and yes I have had to use it for work while the TDI has been out of commission).
    Once they open up a place in Rancho Bernardo area the trip won't bother me much at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 1:16am

Style: FMA Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

migoto?

what do you think of the quality of judo instruction at migoto in chula vista? I was thinking of sending my son there once a week to add to his jiu jitsu game?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast