8/16/2012 12:01pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hey Virginia! Gym/School advice

What can you tell me about this gym.

http://www.thelabmartialarts.com/

One of my students moved to the area and I'm trying to find a place for them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 1:32pm

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT Newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Lab is in my town but I have no direct experience, only second-hand from around my dojo (i know several guys who have trained there)

1) pretty high skill level, very competent training
    2) not much patience for beginners. If your student is less than a blue belt, said high-level students will beat the crap out of him for lulz and make only token efforts to teach.

I'm a member of the Fredericksburg judo club (w2wma.com) and we also do bjj ( Mario Yamasaki affiliation, the Lab is a Lloyd Irvin affiliate). So I may be biased a bit.

I don't know much about the Lab for striking. But my club has the only 2 USA Boxing certified coaches in the local area.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 2:39pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassguy View Post
    The Lab is in my town but I have no direct experience, only second-hand from around my dojo (i know several guys who have trained there)

1) pretty high skill level, very competent training
    2) not much patience for beginners. If your student is less than a blue belt, said high-level students will beat the crap out of him for lulz and make only token efforts to teach.

I'm a member of the Fredericksburg judo club (w2wma.com) and we also do bjj ( Mario Yamasaki affiliation, the Lab is a Lloyd Irvin affiliate). So I may be biased a bit.

I don't know much about the Lab for striking. But my club has the only 2 USA Boxing certified coaches in the local area.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    I think I would like to direct them to your bjj school from the sounds of it. They are proficient in Kickboxing, SAMBO and BJJ but not a fighter (yes I would rank them at blue).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 4:51pm

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT Newb

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome!

In the interest of full disclosure: we have fighters here but we're the rec judo club too -- not everyone is trying to go pro. Some folks are training just for the workout.

That said, we train hard. Hell, even the Shotokan instructor fights bareknuckle, full-contact on a pretty regular basis

(Dan is the bald guy -- the kick that ended his match also broke his jaw in 2 places. His jaw was wired shut for nearly 3 months. Gotta keep those hands up!)

There is no single class that is just jits. Our judo is heavy on the newaza. Judo/bjj class is 2 hours, time usually split evenly between standup and ground. When we have smaller class turnouts we focus more on drilling technique. Bigger turnouts will have more randori.

Submission grappling classes are 1:30. Sensei Wall teaches the no-gi... he was a NCAA Div II wrestler for 2-3 years so there's plenty of wrestling mixed with the jits.

Kickboxing is dutch-style MT for the most part. Which is unfortunate for me, personally, since I'm fat, old, and slow. :Hehehe:

One of the fighters put together a propaganda vid for boxing:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 12:23pm

Style: Boxing, Rowing Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassguy View Post
    we also do bjj ( Mario Yamasaki affiliation)
    Does that mean you get 20 seconds to work from any dominant position before you have to stand yourself up?