Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Injury/Training Question - BJJ

Back again, unfortunately with bad news. At BJJ training on Thursday, I was on the bottom as usual in guard and my opponent landed on my hand, or more specifically my little finger of my left hand. Got it checked out at the hospital, and they let me go and told me to rest for two weeks.

Today I get a call from the XRay Consultant who wants to speak to me about it. Whatever it is, I assume it is going to detract from me training BJJ consistently at least for a couple of weeks. Doc's don't tend to deliver good news.

So my question is this, my left hand is unusable. I can't lift weights or do BJJ due to having no grip. What would be a constructive use of my training time that would help keep me fit and aid my BJJ while my hand recovers?

Thanks

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Work on your cardio, stationary bicking in the gym, walking, running, etc. If it's only your pinky, you can consider those ankle/wrist weights and doing stuff with them (running, walking, staircase climbing, shadow boxing etc. )
    And it's also a good time to really catch up on your flexibility. Hope it helped a bit.

Style
    BJJ, Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course you can still do bjj, you just can't use your hand. Tape it up and tuck it in your gi or belt. You'll be surprised how your game improves and changes when it is faced with limitations.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ What that guy said, tape it up and put an MMA glove on it for padding if you're worried about getting it hurt.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A fracture of my finger. 2 weeks strapped and alledgedly 4 - 6 weeks of no BJJ according to the doc. In light of the above comments, I'm interpreting that as BJJ with the tips given above, no sparring for a couple of weeks and lots and lots of drilling and cardio in place of the weights.

Am thinking alot of positional movement drills rather than anything too 'grippy', like some of the Emily Kwok flow drills, and some from Galvao's book such as maintaining the back etc. Maybe use the time to try and increase my muscle memory of how to move in BJJ.

If anyone has any good resources for this sort of drill, post them up please.

Otherwise thanks for the tips, very appreciated.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I of course as always highly suggest this as a solo exercise for BJJ and it doesn't require the use of your hand.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking as a passionate runner here: go buy a good pair of running shoes (sometimes cheap can also be good) and hit the hills. Your overall fitness, endurance and core especially, will improve to no end.

Have a look at Runner's Rescue before you start. They have a good training program. Google is your friend here.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I can't train due to injury, I sometimes go to class and watch. People think I'm there to hang out, but really I'm analyzing the game of the guys who give me trouble when they spar.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I went to class on Thursday after the advice above and some abuse from my training partners.

I got sucked into having a roll... Then tapped my male opponent with a loop choke from half guard. I know its bad to talk about who you tap in training, but this is a significant tap. My first in live sparring. I will never bring talk of another training tap again.

So what I have learned is this: always go to training. Even if your injured and can't train, you may reap unexpected benefits.

Thanks for the inputs. I'm off for a run on the good advice, given above.