Page 8 of 9 First ... 456789 Last
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post
    The thread has now devolved into an argument about ego and weather or not he was blatantly sandbagging. On those subjects he's just not willing to have an objective look and this conversation has degenerated into school playground argument of "is too, am not, are too, no you are". I think that type of exchange is better suited to YMAS.
    No, you are just bored and being lazy. He asked questions and didn't like the answers. He just keeps rewording the questions.

That isn't a "are too, am not" battle.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, you are just bored and being lazy. He asked questions and didn't like the answers. He just keeps rewording the questions.

That isn't a "are too, am not" battle.
    The are too, am not thing was an oversimplification.

I interpret the constant rewording of the questions and the consequent reframeing of the rebuttle to be of little more intellectual value than, are too, am not.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post

I interpret the constant rewording of the questions and the consequent reframeing of the rebuttle to be of little more intellectual value than, are too, am not.
    Noobtown isn't about intellectual value except in small cases.

What is noobietown?

A place where noobs can be repeatedly hit over the head and understand the website without YMAS level ridicule. They either quit or become productive posters. Some people take an entire thread and then go "oh ****, I see the problem." Sacred cows and egos are the hardest things to slay.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Noobtown isn't about intellectual value except in small cases.

What is noobietown?

A place where noobs can be repeatedly hit over the head and understand the website without YMAS level ridicule. They either quit or become productive posters. Some people take an entire thread and then go "oh ****, I see the problem." Sacred cows and egos are the hardest things to slay.
    Well, then from that perspective you are correct, I'm bored and lazy.

Carry on gentlemen.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiledevice View Post
    How do you know before signing up at a place long-term if injuries are a regular thing in their program? That's not something I can find out in one or two trial classes, can I?
    Sorry I missed this one earlier, one way I can think of is to ask the people at the gym what the injury rate is and by that I mean ones that are serious enough to prevent training.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiledevice View Post
    I felt like I learned almost nothing from the experience... Other than the fact that I'm really new to sparring and suck at it.
    On the bright side you actually learned a lesson that many so called "masters" have yet to learn. No amount of complaint drilling, dancing around, and hitting pads will make you ready for a fight. You learned something that some people with 50+ years of Martial Arts never learn. You have learned if you really want to defend yourself and your family your going to have to actually spar.
    You will fully understand what is being talked about in this video

Believe it or not you really did learn a lot without even knowing it.

Style
    Muay Thai, FMA/JKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm jumping into this thread a bit late but I wanted to offer a bit of a different perspective.
    Firstly, I am going to assume that the original poster is a nice guy and not a douche or crybaby, although I fully recognize that no asshole actually realizes he is an asshole.

I think the kru(teacher) was at fault for not controlling the pace of the sparring in the ring. Muay thai is a "muscle" art -- if you are stronger and bigger, you have a huge advantage. If I am facing someone who is much smaller than I am, I basically slow my pace so that I don't hit harder than they do (if they go soft, I go soft, if they start going hard, I start going hard). I would never pound on someone smaller and my kru would kick my ass if I did. Most gyms have some students with anger / ego issues who go too hard. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the kru and senior students to keep them in line.

Don't get me wrong, from a self defense point of view, you definitely want to work with guys who are bigger and hit harder - but this is not for a beginner.

That being said, I wouldn't be in a hurry to leave the school you trained at. If the gym has a large number of technically proficient students, that is a good sign. Personally, I would be happy to take bruises in exchange for training with good fighters. From the original post, I really don't get the sense that your kru had any malicious intent.

If you do stay at your gym, i would suggest no sparring for the first 3 months (at least). You need to get you technique refined to the point that you can execute without having to think. More importantly, this gives you a chance to get to know your classmates.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdmrt View Post

I think the kru(teacher) was at fault for not controlling the pace of the sparring in the ring. Muay thai is a "muscle" art -- if you are stronger and bigger, you have a huge advantage. If I am facing someone who is much smaller than I am, I basically slow my pace so that I don't hit harder than they do (if they go soft, I go soft, if they start going hard, I start going hard). I would never pound on someone smaller and my kru would kick my ass if I did. Most gyms have some students with anger / ego issues who go too hard. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the kru and senior students to keep them in line.
    You are assuming this didn't happen. I bet, if I asked some of your beginner training partners, we could find a few that said "ouch that was too hard." Nope, in a contact sport, controlling the pace will not definitely exclude bruises.

Don't get me wrong, from a self defense point of view, you definitely want to work with guys who are bigger and hit harder - but this is not for a beginner.
    Considering how he actually told the instructor he had a year of training, some actual formal classes, and some sparring experience I blame him.

I cannot believe people stil think that a "Kru," Grandmaster, coach or whatever can magically control aggressiveness. OP eventually kind of admitted he may have charged in after, IMO, being embarrassed by the teep.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so I've spent some time thinking about all the things said here and on the other forum I posted this to (the other forum basically says never go back to this gym and to avoid the instructor at all costs). That doesn't sit right with me though. I can't just hide from these people because they kicked my ass. Especially if I actually want to learn to fight.

I've also gone to the doctor and had x-rays done. I do indeed have cracked ribs. That's pretty harsh punishment in a sparring situation regardless of skill level, so I can't really train at this intensity again for about 6 weeks anyway.

In the mean time, I plan on talking to the instructor to ask if (after seeing me spar) he thinks I'm ready for this kind of high-intensity training or if I need to spend a few months at a less intense gym (or stick with cardio bag classes) and then come back. I also think I should let him know that he cracked my ribs in case he was unaware of how hard he actually kicked me.

I also talked to my wife about it a bunch, and she agrees that I should talk to this instructor before trying out other gyms.

As ridiculous as the argument got about levels of noobery, I do appreciate all of your honest opinions. You've given me a lot to think about.

Style
    Kickboxing/kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You got cracked ribs? Thats some serious stuff. .
    I was new to a gym before n they sparred hard on me too, but thats just like a welcome shock of some sort so it was cool . . .

The critical point on the other hand is that sometimes a noob who gets an early treatment like that gets pushed away in contact sports n leaves a bad footprint on em.

I see ur a dude with more spunk so dont get discouraged.

Page 8 of 9 First ... 456789 Last