Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiledevice View Post
    "I only know Muay Thai takedowns," and then walked away from him. I wasn't sure what to make of that.
    I think your instructor sounds cool and pretty good at what he does. If you want to learn Muay Thai you need to learn to eat monster kicks for breakfast. I'm pretty sure of this, and I don't even train it. But you will find no shortage of MT bullies here, and they can tell you better.

The other guy sounds like a douchebag who uses sparring as an excuse to hit people because he's angry inside, like at his parents or girlfriend or himself. It's important to identify these cats on day one...so that you know who to really watch out for. That way if you do get paired, at least you'll be aware of the risk.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 8/16/2012 4:39pm at .

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rabbit pretty much covered it from what I can tell, but I'll throw in my two cents just to hear myself talk.

Based on my experience with both an MMA gym and a MT gym, this sounds pretty typical, (except perhaps for the one fellow who was just out to hurt you, most experienced people are going to have more self control/less ego than that. if I'm understanding right and that wasn't the instructor, then I don't personally think there's any big red flags here) sparring is rough at first, but it's all part of the learning process and soon you'll be a much better fighter for it. I remember jumping into my first sparring match a few weeks into training, the instructor said "light contact". I almost got knocked out. The punches I was taking felt like bombs in the moment, but after watching the same guy spar at higher contact, full speed, I realized I actually was being babied. Punches and kicks hurt when proper technique is used, even at light contact, and especially when you're not used to it yet.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Like Water View Post
    if I'm understanding right and that wasn't the instructor, then I don't personally think there's any big red flags here) sparring is rough at first, but it's all part of the learning process and soon you'll be a much better fighter for it.
    Well, the instructor was the guy who kicked me super hard. That's where my doubts started.

Style
    xingyi
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are waaaaaayyyy too many variables to make any real determination. You said it was okay for 30 seconds then POW. My first inclination is to ask what did you do in that 30 seconds?

Your focus on SIZE tells me, you need to adjust your perceptions and misconceptions before you continue Martial Arts.

Oh and Rabbit is wrong, it is YOUR responsibility to address a situation as it starts. Not everyone can gauge skill levels well as much as we like to pretend we all train equally. If someone goes hard say, "Hey this is my second time sparring can we slow it down?" Saying he sounds like a douche is a huge leap.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/16/2012 5:49pm at .

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    There are waaaaaayyyy too many variables to make any real determination. You said it was okay for 30 seconds than POW. My first inclination is to ask what did you do in that 30 seconds?
    Showed him how shitty my jab is a couple times, he stopped every one of them. Threw a leg kick that landed and a couple that he checked. Tried to sneak a cross in after jabbing and then sliding to the right (it didn't make it past his guard). I was able to defend a couple of his strikes, even tried to counter one or two. But nothing I did made it past his guard other than that single leg kick. I don't remember what I did right before the first teep. I think I may have jumped back to avoid a leg kick from him and then tried to advance back into my range (which is like half his range).

I felt so helpless against him... the guy is just SO much bigger and taller than I am.
    Last edited by mobiledevice; 8/16/2012 5:52pm at . Reason: more detail

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I ran a school for a few years and was an assistant instructor.
    Showed him how shitty my jab is a couple times, he stopped every one of them. Threw a leg kick that landed and a couple that he checked. Tried to sneak a cross in after jabbing and then sliding to the right (it didn't make it past his guard). I was able to defend a couple of his strikes, even tried to counter one or two. But nothing I did made it past his guard other than that single leg kick. I don't remember what I did right before the first teep. I think I may have jumped back to avoid a leg kick from him and then tried to advance back into my range (which is like half his range).
    So, you showed you had previous training, mounted a defense, attempted a few counters, broke through his guard once, and used evasive footwork. This is what I gleaned form your own post.

I think what he did was a simple ego check. Especially when I add your above post with this:
    I already knew I had a ton of work to do on my defense though.
    It sounds like you were thinking too much and he snapped you back into reality. Then tried to tell you it wasn't that bad. Yet, referencing your post, you think everything is shitty. Good instructors see defeatists before they know they are defeatists. They then take steps to rectify the situation.

In other words, quit lamenting how shitty you are and strive to be better.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/16/2012 6:23pm at .

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your focus on SIZE tells me, you need to adjust your perceptions and misconceptions before you continue Martial Arts.
    Adjust how? Lots of what I have read leads me to believe that a lot of schools try to match people up by size and skill level when sparring. Is this bad information?

it is YOUR responsibility to address a situation as it starts. Not everyone can gauge skill levels well as much as we like to pretend we all train equally. If someone goes hard say, "Hey this is my second time sparring can we slow it down?" Saying he sounds like a douche is a huge leap.
    Point taken. I'll be more assertive about that in the future. But really, it was a huge surprise when those kicks came. It felt like the intensity went from something I was 'nervous about but ok with' to 'completely in over my head and worried about injury'.

Style
    xingyi
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Adjust how? Lots of what I have read leads me to believe that a lot of schools try to match people up by size and skill level when sparring. Is this bad information?
    You need to spar with all shapes and sizes. Yes, beginners tend to be matched up, but it isn't always necessary or correct.

Point taken. I'll be more assertive about that in the future. But really, it was a huge surprise when those kicks came. It felt like the intensity went from something I was 'nervous about but ok with' to 'completely in over my head and worried about injury'.
    That happens and why you need to say whoa. Yes, even douches may not realize they are being that douchey. Heck, maybe he saw you get that kick in on the instructor and said "hey this noob can spar." I'll admit that sometimes you are so focused that you miss skill level. I had to apologize to someone before, when he showed me the little knuckle bruises I left on him during sparring. After I apologized, I said "make sure you speak up, regardless of rank or skill, because you should never be scared of your training partners."

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm thinking you may have walked in with just enough technical knowledge to give someone the impression that you had done this before and if nothing else knew what to expect.

And like IIF said you got reality checked.

Given the whole story you told, the instructor sounds cool enough.

You might try this on for size.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Or you could ask them to dial it down a bit.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also depends how spazzy you fight at the start. If you go all speed and power then you generally receive it.

And muay thai dosen't usually have head gear.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last