Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #11
    I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!
    DarkPhoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wyomissing, PA
    Posts
    2,244
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for that Vince.

    @Doofoloofa- Yep. The test is tomorrow and I will try to get video of my disappointing display. It may make Kano come back from the grave and zombie o gururma me.
    I feel like you eye-bawlin' me, dawg!

  2. #12
    I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!
    DarkPhoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wyomissing, PA
    Posts
    2,244
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    8 hours until I embarrass myself on the tatame.

    There will be bruises and my uke will have a limp afterwards, but I will come out with my shodan. First black belt test I have taken in almost 20 years. This is gonna be great!!
    I feel like you eye-bawlin' me, dawg!

  3. #13
    solves problems with violence supporting member
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,581
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't you still have to do the kata and knowledge exam after this? or is USJA different about that?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

  4. #14
    I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!
    DarkPhoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wyomissing, PA
    Posts
    2,244
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    USJA doesn't require the kata until nidan. As for the knowledge test, I completed the written and will be doing the demonstration of throws today.
    I feel like you eye-bawlin' me, dawg!

  5. #15
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,427
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thinking of you.

    Here's a montage set to Joe Esposito's "You're the Best"



    Contains everything you need...Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, Steven Seagal, JCVD, Power Rangers, Ken and Ryu from Street Fighter, sumo wrestling, Jean Luc Picard, Chunk....everything.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 8/29/2012 8:38am at .

  6. #16
    solves problems with violence supporting member
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,581
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    interesting, FYI, for shodan at my USJF club, we have to get promotion points at certain events (the exact number depends on one's time in grade) and once that is done we are promoted within the dojo, but afterwards we have to go to a kata/knowledge exam given by the regional yudanshakai, perform nage no kata, and then demonstrate a bunch of throws chosen by the judges in order to get our USJF and kodokan rank.

    the promotional tournaments happen 2x a year and around one month afterwards, the kata/knowledge exam is given.

    i think it's interesting how the different orgs handle promotion requirements, yet they still manage to (mostly) keep the standards high for a shodan in judo.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

  7. #17
    I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!
    DarkPhoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wyomissing, PA
    Posts
    2,244
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    interesting, FYI, for shodan at my USJF club, we have to get promotion points at certain events (the exact number depends on one's time in grade) and once that is done we are promoted within the dojo, but afterwards we have to go to a kata/knowledge exam given by the regional yudanshakai, perform nage no kata, and then demonstrate a bunch of throws chosen by the judges in order to get our USJF and kodokan rank.

    the promotional tournaments happen 2x a year and around one month afterwards, the kata/knowledge exam is given.

    i think it's interesting how the different orgs handle promotion requirements, yet they still manage to (mostly) keep the standards high for a shodan in judo.
    They try to. I have been working on nage no kata for about 5 months now, since the other instructor at our club is a USJF guy. Where is your club?

    Also, how many throws do you have to demonstrate?
    Last edited by DarkPhoenix; 8/29/2012 8:43am at . Reason: Added question.
    I feel like you eye-bawlin' me, dawg!

  8. #18
    solves problems with violence supporting member
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,581
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    They try to. I have been working on nage no kata for about 5 months now, since the other instructor at our club is a USJF guy. Where is your club?

    Also, how many throws do you have to demonstrate?
    i'm at kokushi budo in upper manhattan. i was looking for the exact requirements but can't find them. i don't know how many you actually have to demonstrate, but the list is a long one, and you don't get to know what throws they will ask you to show. lucky for me, i will probably be an uke for someone else before i have to do this myself, which will give me a chance to see what it's like ahead of time.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

  9. #19
    I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!
    DarkPhoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wyomissing, PA
    Posts
    2,244
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i'm at kokushi budo in upper manhattan. i was looking for the exact requirements but can't find them. i don't know how many you actually have to demonstrate, but the list is a long one, and you don't get to know what throws they will ask you to show. lucky for me, i will probably be an uke for someone else before i have to do this myself, which will give me a chance to see what it's like ahead of time.
    That's good. I know of your club. My instructor has mentioned it a few times.

    When I was discussing the differences between the JA and JF tests, the JF instructor mentioned it is only like 5 or 10 throws that you have to demonstrate and then the full kata of course. He also said he asks questions form the vocab and written portion of the test as well.
    I feel like you eye-bawlin' me, dawg!

  10. #20
    I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!
    DarkPhoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wyomissing, PA
    Posts
    2,244
    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am unofficially and official shodan.

    Just gotta send my paperwork into the JA and I will get the piece of paper that states that I start all over again!!
    I feel like you eye-bawlin' me, dawg!

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO