Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 12:44am

Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Looks that way, I saw the banner for the second time in two days, the first had the guy banned, then this one.

Don't get me wrong, the video was captivating. I enjoyed the submissions, I enjoyed the footage of the competitions. My query relates to "aren't you learning this **** in submission wrestling anyway?" Why is it packaged as a solution to "wrestlers"?
    Wow!

Sorry I just saw this now and would have replied sooner had I known.

In regards to a few things my friend:

Kimura was actually the first technique I learned. I didn't think much of it when I started training back NHB in 1998.

It wasn't until 2007 that something "clicked" and I realized that I really didn't "know" how to use the Kimura.

I do not just use the Kimura in a basic way to finish - I am more about "trapping" the person by using the Kimura's control to setup powerful transitions.

I have traveled all over and everyone I teach this, from white belts to black belts, are enlightened with a powerful new way of using something that they thought they knew.

Sorry if it sounds "over-the-top" but I am a hardcore believer of my system and if it rubs you the wrong way I am sorry but we will have to agree to disagree. :)

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 1:08am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Avellan View Post
    Wow!

Sorry I just saw this now and would have replied sooner had I known.

In regards to a few things my friend:

Kimura was actually the first technique I learned. I didn't think much of it when I started training back NHB in 1998.

It wasn't until 2007 that something "clicked" and I realized that I really didn't "know" how to use the Kimura.

I do not just use the Kimura in a basic way to finish - I am more about "trapping" the person by using the Kimura's control to setup powerful transitions.

I have traveled all over and everyone I teach this, from white belts to black belts, are enlightened with a powerful new way of using something that they thought they knew.

Sorry if it sounds "over-the-top" but I am a hardcore believer of my system and if it rubs you the wrong way I am sorry but we will have to agree to disagree. :)
    Once again, I'm not challenging the efficacy of the technique, nor it's capabilities for transitions, spectacular ones at that. It is apparent that it can be used for a variety of different sweep set ups, transitions, takedown defences, submissions and submission chains. What makes your system so different from me learning from my BJJ coach?

At the moment it just feels like someone teaching X-guard or flying subs to me. I know they are a possibility, but I can't do them yet and I shouldn't do them yet, because I need a better fundamental base. I'm going to hurt someone, possibly myself. Your marketing gives the impression that if I learnt this I wouldn't have to worry about wrestlers, but then every piece of footage you show is at what is obviously a submission wrestling tournament (or MMA) pulled off by submission wrestlers. Quite clearly people who train in submission wrestling.

I'm not saying your system doesn't work, I just don't see how it is any different from learning submission wrestling as a whole.

Really, it's just your marketing that irks me.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 1:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gonna side with the OP on this one, for now.

I for one appreciate the Avellans' contributions, so far.
    Linking the videos here directly as opposed to having to register etc would be preferable, but since they seem willing to engage in discussion i can easily overlook that.

To be clear, open discussion and input from professionals in the field is great, but blatant marketing can sour that experience somewhat.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 2:18am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    This just feels like a novice who couldn't be fucked learning a full system of submission wrestling and decided to make money off it anyway.
    This most certainly doesn't describe David Avellan.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 10:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Dave,

We can be very argumentative and skeptical, even cynical around here. What we like to see is people contributing and getting involved in discussion. So if you post something with marketing-type language, you may get a negative response from some people. The video you posted speaks for itself, hope you manage to sell a few DVDs.

Feel free to share your opinion in other threads, give people technical advice and so on. If you have the time and inclination to do that, it'll endear you to us no end. Maybe slip us a short, free technique video every now and then? :)

By the way, the link in your sig doesn't seem to link to your site.

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 11:50am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just want to say that David is a classy individual. He has contacted me off site and been extremely cordial, despite my initial "confrontational" posts. I would like to give him his propers for handling the issue with professionalism and poise.

Quite sincerely, I am extremely keen to learn more about this system.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I subscribed to Alan Belcher's email list, and in one of the recent ones (may be more, but I just didn't recognize the name) David Avellan was mentioned and a link to his email subscription was given. So there's a professional reference :)
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 12:39pm

Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Hi Dave,

We can be very argumentative and skeptical, even cynical around here. What we like to see is people contributing and getting involved in discussion. So if you post something with marketing-type language, you may get a negative response from some people. The video you posted speaks for itself, hope you manage to sell a few DVDs.

Feel free to share your opinion in other threads, give people technical advice and so on. If you have the time and inclination to do that, it'll endear you to us no end. Maybe slip us a short, free technique video every now and then? :)

By the way, the link in your sig doesn't seem to link to your site.
    Totally understand.

I know the internet is a crazy place, but I do my best to give as much valuable information as possible.

If I can help just one person get better, learn something new, or just put a smile on their face - I have done my job :)

Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully I fixed it now.

---------------------------------
    Believe and Achieve,

David Avellan

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love to use the Kimura to "trap" guys. Mendes bros have some good transitions, back takes, and control as well using the Kimura.

Thanks for sharing Dave.

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 6:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's hapenning in 3 weeks?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast