Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 11:45pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tracy's Kenpo Vs. American Kenpo

Alright, can someone here tell me exactly how these two sub-styles of kenpo differ? I'm looking for specific examples.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 12:57am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually Steve Spry lost a lot of weight after his bout with cancer.

Do you guys really want to know the difference?

Basically, and this is my best recollection from James Ibrao's stories, the Tracey's came along and trained only a ceartain level with Parker until they chose to go directly to Master (I can't remember his name). From that point (which was explained to me as a 2nd degree blackbelt) the Tracey system differs. They take a much more Chinese approach in their eddicate (spell check). They would also like to bring a bit more realistic truth to where kenpo actually came from if you want to believe that. Something to the degree of Kenpo tracing (no pun intended) coming from a Hung-gar lineage.

I personally was in the middle of that conflict as all my kenpo friends sold out, started wars and pointed fingers. James Ibrao spent a few years filling me with stories I could really care less about but out of respect listened to and actually quite enjoyed but soon forgot as my brain cells died.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 10:10am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PM Clyde he'll give you an opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 12:51pm

Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    Alright, can someone here tell me exactly how these two sub-styles of kenpo differ? I'm looking for specific examples.
    Do a search on youtube for kenpo forms and tracy kenpo forms. Compare long form 4 in Tracy kenpo to long form 4 in EPAK. The differences are subtle but apparent. The stances are slightly different. The differences really have to be illustrated. Tracy kenpo has like 700 techniques (with all of the variations) or something like that. EPAK has 156 base techniques plus extensions. Many of the EPAK techniques have Tracy Kenpo counterparts with different names. However, most of the techniques have slight differences in style. The angles of blocks can be different. The timing of a technique might be different. The targets that are struck might be slightly different. While the differences are subtle, they can be quite meaningful.

Tracy kenpo has some very old kung fu forms that it teaches at brown and black belt level that were eliminated in EPAK.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 1:42pm

Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Parker eliminated them from EPAK...he stopped teaching them, whatever.

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 5:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Parker Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a couple of forms, as well as several techniques
    that are not taught in Ed Parker American Kenpo any longer
    because they have been shown to violate certain concepts
    and principles that make the system what it is.

For example - Book Set (not a true 'set' by kenpo definition)
    it was pulled from a kung fu book and put in the curriculum
    before I was born. As for techniques - The Dancer, for a
    rear 2 hand choke. The list goes on and on.

Hope it helps,,,

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 5:14am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say when I opened this thread I was VERY disappointed not to see any high flying mullet having asskicking video .

Anyone else ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 11:12pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whorian Gracie
    Eliminated or never present?
    IIRC, they were modified Hung Gar forms Parker stapled to the system in order to have forms like a "real" martial art. Originally, there weren't any forms at all, but prearranged self-defense techniques.

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 7:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin kenpo,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm tuff but large diffrences ive studdyed both for quite a few years shaolin kenpo and american differ quite a bit, i mean we share somethings like a few combos like 5 swords
    ,sword of destruthion, but shoalin as in the name has the 5 animals american kenpo has a few forms short long ext ext , bacically kenpo was tested by thugs made up by thugs but thats what makes it so affective. if you think about it shoalin would win hands down , its not only my fav but we have the beter parts of american kenpo plus some crazy shoalin animal **** 2 so best of american and asian GG

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 7:05pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHaolin-Kenpo
    hmm tuff but large diffrences ive studdyed both for quite a few years shaolin kenpo and american differ quite a bit, i mean we share somethings like a few combos like 5 swords
    ,sword of destruthion, but shoalin as in the name has the 5 animals american kenpo has a few forms short long ext ext , bacically kenpo was tested by thugs made up by thugs but thats what makes it so affective. if you think about it shoalin would win hands down , its not only my fav but we have the beter parts of american kenpo plus some crazy shoalin animal **** 2 so best of american and asian GG
    Still talking dumbshit huh? First learn to type correctly. Second go **** yourself.
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast