Hell yeah! Hell no!
    definitely my money is on Rousey!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 11:15am

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would expect that Ronda is picking up her striking game after the shots she has taken. If this hits the mat at all it is Ronda's match.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 11:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTedBear View Post
    I would expect that Ronda is picking up her striking game after the shots she has taken. If this hits the mat at all it is Ronda's match.
    I would agree that she's surely been working on her striking game. But it was pretty damn bad, especially the way she reacted to being punched. Only so much improvement can be made in 5 1/2 months. Kaufman is a good striker. Rousey will never catch up to her in that department, just like Kaufman's grappling will never catch up to Rousey.

Everyone knows the dangers of Ronda's Judo. But I disagree with the idea that it's automatically game over if it hits the mat. Watch the fight with Tate again. She could have broken away from Rousey several times while it was on the mat and returned to standing. She chose to attack on the ground instead. Big mistake.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 12:20pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rousey by armbar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 12:36pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Only so much improvement can be made in 5 1/2 months.
    I would think that "only so much in 5 1/2 months" can be a lot, especially with a professional fighter's training schedule.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 1:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    I would think that "only so much in 5 1/2 months" can be a lot, especially with a professional fighter's training schedule.
    Look at the history. Look at other fighters who have been in her shoes. People who were great at one thing and worked to improve one aspect of their game over a short time. It doesn't usually happen. At least not enough to go from rudimentary striking to being able to go toe to toe with a top striker. Same thing with grappling.

Ronda Rousey is a great judoka. She's not a great MMA fighter in my opinion. She's not well rounded. She's not the best female MMA fighter in the world. One dimensional fighters tend to struggle in MMA over the long haul. They're so good at that one thing they get some good wins under their belt. Then someone solves the puzzle and everyone else after that follows the same roadmap to beat them.

I actually think Rousey and Kaufman are a pretty even matchup. Rousey has the grappling. Kaufman has the striking. Kaufman is more well rounded and experienced but I believe Rousey is the better athlete.

The female MMA ranks lack depth. This gives Ronda more of an opportunity to shine. But there are a few female fighters who would beat Rousey to the point of making her look foolish, IMO. She's dangerous, but at this point her hype far exceeds her abilities.

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 1:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    At least not enough to go from rudimentary striking to being able to go toe to toe with a top striker.
    The thing is she doesn't need to learn to go toe to toe with her. She just needs to learn enough to survive till she can get the throw on. Its the reverse of sprawl and brawl.

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 1:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    The thing is she doesn't need to learn to go toe to toe with her. She just needs to learn enough to survive till she can get the throw on. Its the reverse of sprawl and brawl.
    Maybe, maybe not.

If the fight goes anything like the Tate fight, Kaufman will have plenty of opportunities to repeatedly punch Rousey in the face, even if she earns some frequent flyer miles in the process. If more time is spent standing than on the ground Ronda is going to need a lot more than just a little striking skill.

Your argument is basically the same thing people said about Lesnar and Yoshida. They ended up needing more than just a little.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 3:59pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Main card
    =================================
    Ronda Rousey vs. Sarah Kaufman
    Ronaldo Souza vs. Derek Brunson
    Tarec Saffiedine vs. Roger Bowling
    Lumumba Sayers vs. Anthony Smith
    Ovince St. Preux vs. T.J. Cook

Preliminary card
    =================================
    Miesha Tate vs.Julie Kedzie
    Bobby Green vs. Matt Ricehouse
    Adlan Amagov vs. Keith Berry
    Hiroko Yamanaka vs. Germaine de Randamie

I'm of the opinion that five and a half months is enough to learn how to survive. Though it might just be the huge crush I have on Rousey.

War Rowdy!

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 5:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far, every fight Ronda has gone into, people have been predicting that she will get stopped by strikes and that her lack of striking will catch up to her.

They said it about Tate, they said it about Budd and they said it about whoever was before them.

Rousey via armbar before the end of the second round.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast