Page 10 of 11 First ... 67891011 Last
  1. #91
    battlefields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia, Land of Oz
    Posts
    5,271
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!


    Cause it's funny.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

  2. #92

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    BXL
    Posts
    355
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    We have seen other parts of Ronda's skillset-her unstoppable throws. No one has had an answer for her koshi gurma/harai goshi or her ko uchi.
    Fighters will also need to learn some defensive Judo. You can't sprawl a throw and they seem completely helpless. The male fighters that use Judo don't seem to follow up as well on the ground, but Ronda does it expertly.

  3. #93
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be interested to see her fight McMann, simply because she'd almost certainly be taken and held down at some point and I'd like to see how she copes with it.

  4. #94
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,517
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    Fighters will also need to learn some defensive Judo. You can't sprawl a throw and they seem completely helpless. The male fighters that use Judo don't seem to follow up as well on the ground, but Ronda does it expertly.
    Dr. AnnMaria (Ronda's mom, former world judo champ herself) explains why:

    "Judo players who are really, really good at matwork are a small fraction of all of those competing in judo. All of those who excel at matwork are either very good at transition or very good at matwork combinations. Ronda is one of the minority within that minority who happens to be very good at both."

  5. #95

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4,000
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    I saw a video with Eddie Bravo the other day where he broke down Ronda's armbar. He said that when Ronda gets him in the armbar position (the "spiderweb") even he can't escape. He said that she has best armbar in MMA--male or female.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Eddie 10-20 pounds lighter than Ronda? I...URRGH! No matter how I say this it's going to come out as Ronda bashing, but whatever, I wore my asbestos undies today.

    Considering the state of women's MMA, I see Ms. Rousey as a big fish in a small pond. Roughly similar to Mark Coleman in the old No Holds Barred Days. Or, as I previously mentioned in the semi troll post, Tim Sylvia when he was the UFC Heavyweight Champion.

    It's impossible to claim that Big Tim wasn't the best heavyweight fighter in the UFC, but look who his competion was for that title. Then again I may be holding Ronda to an impossible standard, a lot of the arguments I have made against her are ones I have seen people level at Anderson Silva and Jon Jones. Sometimes it isn't that the pond is small, it's that the fish is a bleeding Megalodon.

    So, in conclusion, for me to consider Ronda legitimate, she should defend her title against....Randy Couture!?!
    Last edited by Vince Tortelli; 8/22/2012 6:39pm at .

  6. #96
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,344
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    Sometimes it isn't that the pond is small, it's that the fish is a bleeding Megalodon.
    I'm pretty sure that Ronda is indeed a Megalodon in this case, metaphorically speaking of course.

    Please don't armbar me Ms. Rousey, kthnxby.
    Shut the hell up and train.

  7. #97
    Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option. supporting member
    datdamnmachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,718
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Eddie 10-20 pounds lighter than Ronda? I...URRGH! No matter how I say this it's going to come out as Ronda bashing, but whatever, I wore my asbestos undies today.

    Considering the state of women's MMA, I see Ms. Rousey as a big fish in a small pond. Roughly similar to Mark Coleman in the old No Holds Barred Days. Or, as I previously mentioned in the semi troll post, Tim Sylvia when he was the UFC Heavyweight Champion.

    It's impossible to claim that Big Tim wasn't the best heavyweight fighter in the UFC, but look who his competion was for that title. Then again I may be holding Ronda to an impossible standard, a lot of the arguments I have made against her are ones I have seen people level at Anderson Silva and Jon Jones. Sometimes it isn't that the pond is small, it's that the fish is a bleeding Megalodon.

    So, in conclusion, for me to consider Ronda legitimate, she should defend her title against....Randy Couture!?!
    Or his son. Triangles vs Armbars: The SuperFight!

    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Ronda is indeed a Megalodon in this case, metaphorically speaking of course.

    Please don't armbar me Ms. Rousey, kthnxby.
    That is a different way of thinking of it. It does put things into context. A Megalodon can't help being a Megalodon. That said, I wonder when some other Megalodon's might start populating the sea. At the same time, having everyone be a Megalodon means that someone has to be a Megalodon Rex (or something) in order to excel in the division. Otherwise, you end up with the UFC's Lightweight division. Everyone can beat anyone at any given time.

  8. #98
    King Sleepless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cuba
    Posts
    10,058
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I won't be happy until BJJ guys stop trying to claim rousey.

  9. #99
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,344
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sleepless View Post
    I won't be happy until BJJ guys stop trying to claim rousey.
    I beg your pardon?

    Who is stupid enough to claim that the daughter of an Olympic champion Judoka, and who has trained Judo her entire life, is a BJJ'er?

    Edit: Probably the same kind of idiot who can't figure out we are all on the same side.
    Shut the hell up and train.

  10. #100

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any chance we see women in the UFC or do you think Dana will always keep women in strikeforce?

Page 10 of 11 First ... 67891011 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO