Gym Size: 9

Atmosphere/Attitude: 10

Striking Instruction: 7

Grappling Instruction: 8

Weapons Instruction: 1

Name:  AllStarBJJLogo-300x300.jpg
Views: 30027
Size:  31.0 KB

I've been going here for about 6 weeks now, as part of a deal I purchased off of Amazon Local deals. I really enjoy the classes. I've been going to the BJJ One level classes, which have mostly white belts, a yellow belt, and a few purple belts attending.

My background is about 7 years of Isshin-Ryu Karate with some minor Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, and Muai Thai training here and there, so I'm not that great of a grappler.

The instructor there, Jamal Paterson has fought in the IFL, Bellator, and will be competing in Ring of Combat 42 on September 14, 2012.

I enjoy the way he teaches the classes, he's extremely approachable. Some of his higher ranked students also help out the "Trial members" with their techniques and offer advice as well. The sparring is based on your belt ranking. Trial members wear bright yellow shirts that say Trial in big green letters, and don't actually live grapple with each other. After we learn our techniques for the day, we spend the later portion of the class practicing the drills on each other over and over again. I actually like that, as newbie is more likely to hurt himself trying to muscle through a grappling session.

The students there are very friendly. They remember your faces. The higher belts make a point of thanking you for attending class and telling you how you're doing. All in all, a pleasurable training experience.