Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 8:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sharp pointy weapons

So this week our state fair is in full swing and while checking out a list of the attractions I noticed some people called team rock had a MA demo area set up. So I stopped by to check it out. What I noticed first was that they apparently are one of those break bricks for god type setups. That alone made me want to vomit. But what really stood out was their "souvenir" stand. They are selling katanas, throwing stars, and nunchucks. Yes that's right they are arming drunk fair goers, wtf?? So there's my question does this seem like a good idea?? To sell sharp pointy weapons at a state fair full of beer tents??

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 8:09am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We don't have to worry about that at our state fair (DuQuoin). Although the beer tent draws more of a crowd than the arena, state troopers outnumber fair goers by about three to one.
    Seriously though, at our fair last year, I shut down three vendors; two for selling weapons and one for drug paraphernalia. These guys were selling swords, stars, nunchaku and some real shitty knives.

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 8:43am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do hope that stand get shut down, its totally irresponsible. Just while I was standing there some kid was yelling at his dad saying "buy me a sword". Somehow this comes to mind:.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 8:48am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every flea market or fair type thing I've ever been to back home in South Africa had tons of these stalls, some of them even sell cheap Asian tasers, sometimes those ones disguised as cellphones.

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 11:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe things are different here but I could hardly imagine a flea market that doesn't have at least one booth full of shitty wall hanger knives.

It's usually right between the guy selling "functional glass art" and the tie dye stand that always smells like a hallal grocery store.

Oldy enough, I've never seen a fight break out at the flea market though. Probably due to hangovers...

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Maybe things are different here but I could hardly imagine a flea market that doesn't have at least one booth full of shitty wall hanger knives.
    Here, you have to factor in the proximity to: a) The Beer Tent & b) 300 drunken rednecks shouting witty things like "hey, watch this" and "if that cop keeps staring at me, I'm gonna kick his ass".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Oldy enough, I've never seen a fight break out at the flea market though. Probably due to hangovers...
    They may be walking off their hangovers at the flea market, but this is where the hangovers are created. It is actually pretty entertaining except for the Saturday that I take my family there. I went to the Daytona Beach Flea Market this year; it was enjoyable. They sold the same things, but it was senior citizens and tourists instead of drunks and thugs.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 12:06pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have swap meets instead of flea markets here, but its basically the same thing- a place for weird teenagers get shitty swords for their trenchcoats. Also a good place to find cheap sunglasses, questionable scuba gear, Sega Genesis games, broken wood-trimmed speakers, musical instruments caked with lost ambitions, or a lava lamp that's missing the base.

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 12:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Here, you have to factor in the proximity to: a) The Beer Tent & b) 300 drunken rednecks shouting witty things like "hey, watch this" and "if that cop keeps staring at me, I'm gonna kick his ass".
    Ghah! That IS different.

Yeah, I see what you mean about introducing nun-chucks and ninja throwing stars to that brew. I understood as soon as I read "Hey watch this". It's like "BONZAI" for red necks.

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 1:43pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    They may be walking off their hangovers at the flea market, but this is where the hangovers are created. It is actually pretty entertaining except for the Saturday that I take my family there. I went to the Daytona Beach Flea Market this year; it was enjoyable. They sold the same things, but it was senior citizens and tourists instead of drunks and thugs.

You forgot about the tapout douches, the carnies, and the highschool bastards.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    We have swap meets instead of flea markets here, but its basically the same thing- a place for weird teenagers get shitty swords for their trenchcoats. Also a good place to find cheap sunglasses, questionable scuba gear, Sega Genesis games, broken wood-trimmed speakers, musical instruments caked with lost ambitions, or a lava lamp that's missing the base.
    Which swap meets have you been going too.
    The one out in spring valley will sell you slutty looking clothes, overpriced socks, 18 year old bikes. There's always a Fair circuit throw back that's 5 years or so behind the times, like the guy doing a demo for quick n brite or the slap chop. And we can't forget the 8 different boothes selling avacados. My persoanl favorit are the second hand spunk stained mattresses.

I almost forgot about the two 45 year old guys trying to sell DJ services. Best part is they are apparently using the same equipment that they started with 25 years ago. How much DJ'ing do you need for crappy mariachi music anyways???
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast