Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 9:19am

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yo Sang!

Lanna Muay Thai has a school in the city as well as a camp in the mountains! You should give them a try!

I've trained under Andy, the owner of Lanna, when he visited Ottawa and I also visited his (city) school in Chiang Mai when I was there this summer. The place is modest but definitely has everything you need. Lots of good fighters have trained there. Here's their info:

http://lannamuaythai.com/

(Warning: There are a LOT of stray dogs in Chiang Mai and lots of them have rabies. Don't take any chances: GET VACCINATED AGAINST RABIES BEFORE YOU GO.)

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 7:44pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Hey Neo, wondering if i can get some advice from you too.

Girlfriend and i are heading to Changmai to vacation for 3 weeks. She's an active boxer, I like to kick and grapple. Any suggestions for a gym?
    I hear good things about Lanna and Chay Yai. But if you need boxing and grappling, between the two of you, it sounds like your best bet might be hitting up Team Quest. They opened a location in Chiang Mai this past year, and their prices are surprisingly reasonable and it's apparently pretty close to the Chiang Mai airport. Grappling is pretty tough to find here outside of a few places in Bangkok, but you might just catch a break here.

Check them out and see if it looks like what you're after. http://teamquestthailand.com/

If that doesn't strike your fancy, just head here and see if anything looks good. http://www.muaythailand.com/index.ph...aining-camps#3

Posted On:
    10/16/2012 8:14am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks both of you. I'd heard of Lanna but wasn't sure that they would have decent boxing coaches. The GF fights every 2 weeks so she gets priority of training camps.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2012 11:46pm

Style: Isshin-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lanna is a tourist trap. The local joke is that the only thing they teach is how to run. If rumor is true be prepared for your padholders to be taking nips of whiskey in between rounds. I trained at KC muay thai, just south of the airport, and had a really excellent experience. When BKK flooded last year a super legit boxing team moved up there for a month to train for their upcoming fights, so the boxing instructions pretty good too.
    As far as Bangkok, kiatphontip is where my friends have trained. There are apparently a bunch of legit fighters there and they have a strong emphasis on the clinch. I have heard good things about their program.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 7:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamSP View Post
    Lanna is a tourist trap. The local joke is that the only thing they teach is how to run. If rumor is true be prepared for your padholders to be taking nips of whiskey in between rounds.
    *shrug*

I can't really defend Lanna because I haven't trained there myself; I only visited their camp while I was driving by. I trained under the owner when he visited Ottawa and I liked his coaching style. And one of our local Muay Thai / BJJ / MMA schools (which produced a UFC fighter and a handful of other pro fighters) is affiliated with Lanna. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 9:41pm

Style: Isshin-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is no slight against the owner, he's apparently a great coach, but a prospective student will not get to work under him unless they come with a significant pro record. And then only when he's not off in his ridiculously priced mountain training camp.
    BTW this not based on my personal experience, but entirely on what I've heard from other fighters and coaches who trained there.

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 4:27am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know its a big commercial gym and not an 'authentic' MT camp but if you are after grappling Tiger in Phucket now have Brian Ebersole in charge of their MMA programme and apparently his classes are excellent.

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 6:59am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    I know its a big commercial gym and not an 'authentic' MT camp but if you are after grappling Tiger in Phucket now have Brian Ebersole in charge of their MMA programme and apparently his classes are excellent.
    Dam, that sounds good.

I just wish Phucket wasn't so seedy, my girl is Thai so we can't walk around there without everyone treating her like a hooker.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 9:36am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dam, that sounds good.

I just wish Phucket wasn't so seedy, my girl is Thai so we can't walk around there without everyone treating her like a hooker.
    They are actually located in a pretty quiet little corner of Phucket so it's not too bad.

Also Dragon Muay Thai is situated a few few hundred metres down the road and they offer FAR cheaper authentic MT. So you really can get the best of both Worlds!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2012 10:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dam, that sounds good.

I'm sorry to hear that, man. That's really sad. It must be hard for you two. Unfortunately, there's so much sketchiness in Thailand that I'm sure it's really difficult for people not to assume the worst whenever they see a foreign guy with a local girl.

:(
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast