Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 3:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai schools in Bangkok and Phuket

I'm on the tail end of a training trip to Thailand. I did the bulk of my time here with Phuket top team and a bit with Master Toddy Muay Thai in Bangkok. I'm going to check out Fairtex tomorrow.

Does any one have any strong opinions on schools in Thailand? I liked Master Toddy a lot but the intarweb seems to not have a high opinion of him. I thought he was fun to work with. Has anyone worked with him?

Also, any Thailand advice would be welcomed as I am planning on coming back next year.

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 6:44am

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been in Thailand since May, about 2 hours outside of Bangkok. I can vouch for Watcharachai Gym in Sutthisan and Fighting Spirit Gym in Silom being really solid places to train, but really, it's Bangkok. There's gyms all over the place. Check this list out and see what looks good to you. Someone will also be along shortly to move this to the right forum, because it's not advanced technique discussion.

http://www.muaythailand.com/index.ph...training-camps

Regarding Toddy, my coach's fiancee tried out for the second season of Tuff Girls, and her experience with him was that he's basically just a marketing machine for tourists, and you should probably go elsewhere if serious training is what you're after. I also have an inherent dislike and distrust for anyone who insists on being called "master".
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 8/13/2012 6:50am at .

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 11:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry about the misspost. I don't post here much and I just read posts usually.

Yeah, I was wary of that with Toddy but I enjoyed my time there. It was a bit cheesy.

Neo Sigma, have you heard of any foreigners having good experiences with Sitmonchai? They have many Thai fighters I see at Lumpinee but do the foreigners they train do well?

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 7:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never been myself, but I hear only good things about the quality of training. I'm pretty sure they just opened up to foreigners within the last year or thereabouts, so it's still going to have that serious, old-school Thai feel to it. And you'll have a leg kick like the hammer of Thor when you go home.

Sitmonchai is out in Kanchanaburi, which is a 2-3 hour bus ride from Bangkok. Make sure you check in advance with any camp you want to stay at, because we're starting to get to what they call the "high season." That is, it's not raining every single day and it's slightly less brutally hot. I've had to re-plan one or two training trips because I waited too long to ask about rooms.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2012 11:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't personally been here yet, but a group of students from our Muay Thai class went to 13 coins gym in Bangkok with our trainer and said ti was excellent. They train with Senchai and Long Ubon. check out 13 coins gym interview video on youtube, it should bring up a video by Long Ubon. Senchai is a Lumpinee champion as far as I know so they teach a good game as far as fight prep goes.
    I am hoping to head out there soon, but again, have had no personal experience so take it for what it is.
    Here's a good review of 13 coins

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 2:48pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a drop-in session at Carryboy Muay Thai in Bangkok this summer. It's certainly not fancy or glamourous but I enjoyed my sessions there and all the trainers and students were very friendly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8021_154796677990534_461814644_n.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	13819

Name:	561404_154796701323865_849963781_n.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	13820

The head trainer is former champ Lunamit (seen in the pics above). A handful of former Rajademnern champs have come from Carryboy and a handful of current Carryboy boxers currently fight at Rajademnern.

Here are some reviews and contact info:

http://www.siamfightmag.com/index.ph...id=246&lang=en

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carry...ai-Gym-Bangkok

Name:	IMG_5315.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	13822

Name:	394188_351632851533142_2136148462_n.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	13821

Posted On:
    10/13/2012 11:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi...Did anyone here train at jun muay thai in koh samui??? It is cheaper than other gyms. But i would like to hear opinions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2012 2:15pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the time I got to Koh Samui this summer, I was still sore from the training I got in Bangkok!

Posted On:
    10/13/2012 9:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately, Watcharachai Gym will be closing down soon, but the fighters and trainers, including Yod from Lukbanyai and Bun from Sitmonchai, will be opening a new place sometime in the next few months near the Lad Prao MRT station. So it'll be just in time for when you come back.

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 7:45am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Neo, wondering if i can get some advice from you too.

Girlfriend and i are heading to Changmai to vacation for 3 weeks. She's an active boxer, I like to kick and grapple. Any suggestions for a gym?
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast