Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    8/12/2012 1:00pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo on display for UFC 150

Wow great fights last night Cerrone v Guillard was amazing.

Jake Shields showed a fledgling display of Judo in his match with Herman. Edgar had a moment also. Shields first.

I said before the match that if Shields was able to blanket Herman he would win. Which lead to an argument about Hermans ground game. That led me to remember it's pretty good. So Jake was going to have to get him down and I knew Herman's wrestling was solid. Low and behold Shields starts attacking with uchimata. No offense to Joe Rogan but he knows little to nothing about standing Judo techniques.

I was thinking that Jake had added that to his arsenal. He was starting to figure out a more effective way of getting the guy on his back. Obviously he trained it in practice to even attempt such a technique repeatedly at that level of competition would be suicide. Jake was actually getting better with each attempt. To the point that HermanName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344793229.053167.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  32.7 KB defended the uchimata so hard Shields was able to hit a great double leg. A technique that Shields has had great success with in the past. Pretty impressive in my book. Since one of our clubs Judo mantras is "Judo is played in two directions."

If Shields had taken some time to train in the gi with Judo and develop a firm understanding of that phase of combat and then apply his clinch game into it once he took off the gi man he would have hit that first or second uchimata and landed in the mount. Changing the aspect of the fight significantly.

Great match from my point of view and I didn't agree with the crowds booing.

In the Edgar fight somewhere in the fourth or fifth round Frankie hit and Osoto taking Henderson down. Henderson popped right back up because Edgar had no control.

Another instance where taking some time developing skills in this area would have had some benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore typos.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/12/2012 8:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The same technique exists in wrestling. I don't really see on what grounds you're claiming it as 'fledgling' Judo when Shields was an All American wrestler.

Same objection for Frankie.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    8/12/2012 11:13pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes it's called a high lift. I've never had one wrestler tell me they have seen it used by someone religiously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore typos.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.