Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2012 11:16pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Basic Muay Thai kick checks

Just a quick question regarding checking kicks. When checking, we should be aiming for the opponents shin to hit our upper shin, right? Just below the knee seems right to me as there is little leverage there and the bone is thicker, this stronger defence, but in the past I have been told to check with the middle/lower shin but this always ends up with my checking leg being knocked into my stable leg and sends me off balance.
    :Determined:
    Any input here?

Thanks

Posted On:
    8/12/2012 7:03am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aiming exactly where your opponent's leg will lend is unrealistic,not only that but if you aim it to land on your knee or upper (proximal) tibia it means you didn't lift your leg high enough and there is a good chance his leg will go over your check and into your hand or body (also don't make a habit of blocking with your knee!!)..
    To avoid your bent leg from clashing too harshly into the other one, try "kicking" a little with the checking leg so it won't buckle too much( Adding some tension to your leg muscle), the leg shouldn't be limp, just like with your boxing guard (it should yield a bit and not be totally stiff but it shouldn't buckle all the way and hit your face, find a balance) . You can also get your own leg up your balls if you do that..
    Finally if your opponent noticed that your check is limp he will kick low and hard to actually sweep your other leg.
    (you need to have a conditioned leg and proper padding for the both of you, otherwise don't kick or check hard!, also check what i'v told you with your coach or one of the veterans before you do it). good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2012 10:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah thanks, that seems to make sense. I have always struggled with my check, so much so that in my first fight it was non-existant! I really need to work on getting it in place faster as I tend to just end up wearing low kicks or blocking mid-high kicks with my arm/hands which then leaves me open slightly for a follow up!

Thanks for the tips and I'll be sure to try and put a little pressure into my check from now on. I've got training tonight so I should be able to work on it later.

Cheers

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 7:19am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Yeah thanks, that seems to make sense. I have always struggled with my check, so much so that in my first fight it was non-existant! I really need to work on getting it in place faster as I tend to just end up wearing low kicks or blocking mid-high kicks with my arm/hands which then leaves me open slightly for a follow up!

Thanks for the tips and I'll be sure to try and put a little pressure into my check from now on. I've got training tonight so I should be able to work on it later.

Cheers
    If you just started don't worry about it , im sure it will improve.
    There are a couple of things you can do to strengthen your defense with the leg check, start adding a lot of knee lifting wile jumping rope so to strengthen your muscles, and/or jump on one leg wile the other is up like a front check and move it to the side and front wile jumping on the other leg.
    Last, while working the heavy bag incorporate a lot of leg checks to imaginary kicks, try every two kicks you throw to check once.
    P.S Tintin is the man, I'm a second generation that grew up on his stories, he was also a descent boxer!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2012 8:21pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do not make it an unconscious habit; someone will take advantage of you automatically raising your leg to check legkicks and sweep your backleg on the 2nd go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 11:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Syph. I am hoping to get some more sparrign in over the next couple of months so should be able to work on it properly before I go for my next fight.

Thanks guys