Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2014 8:00pm

Style: Boxing/Sanda/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hitler finds out about Keenan Cornelius' worm-guard craze.

And he is not amused.

I, for one, think ground and pound is The Final Solution to this crazy influx of esoteric tournament-specific techniques.

Posted On:
    6/17/2014 8:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    I, for one, think ground and pound is The Final Solution to this crazy influx of esoteric tournament-specific techniques.

I was thinking about the worm guard for the street while he was talking about it and at first I was thinking its just a Gi only idea.
    Then I was like but you know what you can probably pull the worm guard off on anyone with a long t-shirt or a jacket on, and it does look like a really strong guard if you can get it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 9:32am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    And he is not amused.

I kind of concur. On the one hand I think innovation is good as a general rule, and interesting things can come out of some bizzare positions. On the other... A lot of what we're seeing in competition today is almost like anti-fighting. Might win tournaments but if you took it back to UFC1 you'd have more trouble than Royce and his relatively simple game.

I'm not necessarily against it but... Definitely not for me.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitler
    The IBJJF should bring in rules to shut this down.
    Great idea, then everyone can bitch about restrictive rule-sets killing BJJ, and do you remember how BJJ used to be about fighting? Do you remember how America used to be about freedom, but now judo is dead... etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 1:17pm

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is disturbingly familiar to me; there's one blue belt in particular at my club who always makes a point of hounding me to roll with him, and spending the following 5 minutes wrapping me up in my own (and sometimes his) battle jammies with few discernable results. So, today, I showed up to open mat playing no-gi, and wouldn't you know it, he didn't talk to me once for the duration of the class.

It's not that it's a bad technique, or that I think it shouldn't be permitted or anything, but I can't help but roll my eyes whenever someone starts wrapping me up in my gi or playing tug of war with my pants or whatever; it just feels silly, and makes me wish that the Swedish martial arts community as a whole wasn't so infatuated with the gi: the only no-gi places you can find are basically MMA gyms that do "submission wrestling" once or twice a week, forget finding a dedicated club for the stuff.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 1:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post

I was thinking about the worm guard for the street while he was talking about it and at first I was thinking its just a Gi only idea.
    Then I was like but you know what you can probably pull the worm guard off on anyone with a long t-shirt or a jacket on, and it does look like a really strong guard if you can get it.

Interesting to use the belt to control uke from guard...haven't seen that before.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 1:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ seems to be evolving towards a huge focus on sports/competition. Just like Judo did.

Imagine that !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 2:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    I kind of concur. On the one hand I think innovation is good as a general rule, and interesting things can come out of some bizzare positions. On the other... A lot of what we're seeing in competition today is almost like anti-fighting. Might win tournaments but if you took it back to UFC1 you'd have more trouble than Royce and his relatively simple game.

I'm not necessarily against it but... Definitely not for me.
    This is where I disagree, all these fancy positions and stupid guards and the what not are not some sort of short cut. You need to have good solid fundamentals to make them work. Some white belt that knows only this sort of **** is still going to get rolled up by a black belt. So its just one more layer added to the art. All the basics and fundamentals don't go away because you know how the fancier stuff.

As far as actual fighting goes, it still just gives you more options which is a good thing. Yeah the worm guard may will not always present itself in a real fight, but if it does it is a really strong position. Same thing with other "sport only" techniques when they do present themselves as being useful its a good idea to have them in your tool chest.

Yes they are all gimics but they are gimics that high level players use to best other high level players. They are needed to best high level players because at some point more of the same just stops working.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to grab the lapel for this counter, but uh check this...

This is like some Shaw Brothers **** right here. Your snake style may be undefeated, but I have been studying the noble otter, now meet your match.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/18/2014 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Opportunity cost is the issue imo. This kind of stuff is really effective in sport settings, but average guys don't have the time to learn this and movements that are applicable to NHB/Self Defense. Inevitably they'll favor this as it's incentivized through "winning" in the gym.

I think these movements and techniques are great for beating the top .01% of grapplers wearing a gi under IBJJF rules but come on seriously WTF?
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast