Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/16/2012 1:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So yeah, I really f-ed up my wrist... can I still train?

Long story short, a little over a year ago I fractured my radius and ulna in about 10 places, right at the joint, when I fell of my bike. I had surgery to repair it with a titanium plate and 11 screws on my radius which are still in. I still have partial numbness in my palm and after a CT scan I found out that the surface of my radius is really jagged and the tip of my ulna is just kind of floating around. My surgeon said that eventually my cartilage will wear down and I'll need to get a wrist fusion when the pain gets bad enough. And one of the ligaments on the top of my hand is probably damaged (can't get an MRI with metal in there).
    So basically, I love boxing and want to keep training. Are there things I can do to limit the damage and protect my cartilage? Wrist stability exercises? Not hitting the heavy bag? Not doing uppercuts or hooks?
    Does anyone else have experience with a bad wrist injury and boxing that could give me some advice?
    At 20 years old I would like to put off a wrist fusion for as long as possible...
    Thanks everyone!

is badder than you

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 12:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not so much because of the injury itself, but given that even after medical intervention it's still getting worse.

Could they try an ultrasound to look for the ligament damage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 6:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GO ASK YOUR DOCTOR.
    GO CONSULT YOUR PHYSICAL THERAPIST. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE, GET ONE.

Do what THEY say, and don't base your opinion on random people from the internet.

(No offense, Russ.)

If your injury is treated properly, you will be able to go back to training in a while. If not, not.