Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread: Whats up

Style
    Boxing, Judo, Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by forumnoob View Post
    I'm doing mma to be able to compete. But like ItIsFake said, let's not talk about it anymore.
    Neither are most of us, brother.

Honestly, its LARPing.

I'll never be in a bar fight. Never be jumped. And probably never get into the ring. But damn if it ain't fun to put on some gloves and beat the hell outta each other... :) In the end, that is what it is about for me.

My advice is this: MT and BJJ is a great freaking base. If you're a noob, forget about cross training... or if you are, get moar grappling. Seriously, moar grapple. If you're still in HS, wrestle.

You can become somewhat proficient in striking in around three years. Double that for grappling. Spend more time grappling now, and you'll have an even better base skill.

Sounds like you found a good place to get started with your training.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by forumnoob View Post
    I'm doing mma to be able to compete. But like ItIsFake said, let's not talk about it anymore.
    Feel free to talk about your training, your school, your choice on which martial art to pursue next. He was simply telling you not to answer my loaded question here, as it might start a bit of, er, debate that's not really suitable for newbietown.

Anyways, I'd have to agree with John here. In my opinion (this of course, could just be me) it takes longer to get your grappling to MMA competition level than your striking. HS wrestling, a local wrestling club, extra BJJ classes every week, whatever is available in that area might be the best thing for you in this stage of your training.

Style
    Muay thai(MMA)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with you :), I'll probably spend some more time grappling.

Page 3 of 3 First 123